Thread: [Doco] Americian Teen (2008)

Thanks

Default [Doco] Americian Teen (2008)

There seems to be quite allot of doco's floating around in the last couple of weeks. So I just happened to grab this one

Basic story outline, The Jock, The Princess, The Band Geek, The Nerdy Girl and how they handle the final year of high school and there transition into college (f**l it I am going to say University).

Truth be told, I am not the biggest supporter of teen movies to begin with, add to which this is based on american teenagers so for me I went in expecting the worst as covering those groups is a cliche to start with.

I think the doco was acceptable, meaning watchable. I am jaded when it comes to certain things, including the concept of all americans seem to have a natural belief that they are somehow better than the rest of the planet, there defiantly was elements of this throughout the doco but also moments of real problems and concerns which added a human quality too it.

Again, I am very sceptical about this doco as without spoiling the ending (which is blatantly obvious 1/2 way through), even "the loser" ends up a winner is the general theme. and god bless the US of A. (edit 1: This was my favourite character in this film)

It seemed to be shot in a very contrived and scripted way (edit 2: scripted should really be "edited that way"), with fluffy white ponnies and rainbows everywhere. IMHO a documentary should not lead you to believe what is being presented, it should question what you believe and for me this did not cut it.

Having said all of that, it is still very watchable, and I think the cast have many good points individually, and the story does interwine between them all.

Frankly It was not so different from anyones high school experience

Its very monotone as well, never to many emotions are shown, or rather controlled emotion are displayed at all times. Look i did feel for the characters at certain points in the film so it was not all bad. It did have real potential when some things happen to one of the characters, but it was done in such a way that it left me feeling, things had happened in the background to continue on with the concept of happy happy joy joy of these people.

Perhaps this is what the film makers wanted to potray as a typical american high school (and whom am I to say this is not a direct reflection of it).

It was a packaged documentary, granted well put together but not allot of real content in my book.

I would recommend this is you want to have a feel good about the world kind of feeling, or in the mood for some light entertainment.

as always other people comments are more than welcome.

IMDB Info
    Last edited by z1gg33; 04-06-09 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Couple of Edits
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to z1gg33 For This Useful Post:

best4less (04-06-09)

Look Here ->