Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iinet Voip/adsl2

Thanks

Default Iinet Voip/adsl2

I'm looking to change isp's and looking at Iinet plans which seem good value but a bit unsure about the voip side of things, my pc and modem is in another room to my phone and wasnt keen on moving things around so are there any other options for placement of modem/phone ? We recently bought a new 5.8ghz cordless phone and it would be easy to move but i dont want to change my modem, input from those who made the change are appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

With iiNet you have two options:
    1. Naked - no conventional phone line, just VOIP phone service;
    2. ADSL2 + VOIP where you have your standard phone as well as VOIP phone service.
    In both cases to utilise the VOIP service you will need a special device to connect your phone to the Internet. The connection device can be in-built into your modem/router (since you don't want to change yours the option is not for you) or can be purchased separately - it's called ATA. ATA is not very expencive these days.
    You will need to connect the ATA device to your network and configure it according to your network as well as with settings provided by VOIP service provider (in this case iiNet). Once the ATA is configured correctly you can connect your 5.8Ghz cordless or any other phones to it and start making/receiving phone calls over network.
    I hope this simplified explanation will help you to decide where you want to position your phone/modem/ATA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    With iiNet you have two options:
    1. Naked - no conventional phone line, just VOIP phone service;
    2. ADSL2 + VOIP where you have your standard phone as well as VOIP phone service.
    In both cases to utilise the VOIP service you will need a special device to connect your phone to the Internet. The connection device can be in-built into your modem/router (since you don't want to change yours the option is not for you) or can be purchased separately - it's called ATA. ATA is not very expencive these days.
    You will need to connect the ATA device to your network and configure it according to your network as well as with settings provided by VOIP service provider (in this case iiNet). Once the ATA is configured correctly you can connect your 5.8Ghz cordless or any other phones to it and start making/receiving phone calls over network.
    I hope this simplified explanation will help you to decide where you want to position your phone/modem/ATA.
    I did some researching today and i understand how it works with an ATA etc, i was more after how iinet compare and voip in general having had no experience with it. So with iinet i can have a conventional phone service as well as voip ? I like the ideal of not having to pay line rental and replacing that cost with larger dl limit and faster speed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loanrangiel View Post
    I did some researching today and i understand how it works with an ATA etc, i was more after how iinet compare and voip in general having had no experience with it. So with iinet i can have a conventional phone service as well as voip ? I like the ideal of not having to pay line rental and replacing that cost with larger dl limit and faster speed.
    I am on Naked adsl2 with iinet for more than a year and didn't regret my choice for a second. I don't pay any line fees and VOIP quality is no different to land phones.
    The way I set my phone network up I have no physical connection to the ADSL2 line. My phone network is plugged in straight to the ATA port and all phones in a house are working of VOIP network.
    If you do a search in this forum you will find more posts on the topic with more detailed explanations.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

loanrangiel (05-06-09)

Thanks

adsl2+ with VOIP with iiNet here. Don't get the crappy Belkin router they offer. i like the fact i pay telstra nothing.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mate View Post
    adsl2+ with VOIP with iiNet here. Don't get the crappy Belkin router they offer. i like the fact i pay telstra nothing.
    I saw what they charge for them, i will keep my router and just get an ATA adapter.

Thanks

Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is a application layer control simple signalling protocol for VoIP implementations using the Redirect Mode.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrs.reign View Post
    Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is a application layer control simple signalling protocol for VoIP implementations using the Redirect Mode.
    And you say this because ?................................................. ...................

Thanks

My oldest son has recently set up wih Iinet naked with VOIP, no contract or problems so far and he likes the $59.95 per month all up cost.

My other son is in the process of doing the same but wishes to use his own 4 port / wireless modem/router with no VOIP. Any suggestions for the VOIP ATA port or are they all much of a muchness?

Thks in advance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesv View Post
    Any suggestions for the VOIP ATA port or are they all much of a muchness?

Thks in advance
    I was very happy with my Linksys PAP2 ATA until I forgot it's password. It wouldn't be a problem to reset it at all for me but I wanted to have a backup unit. So I went and bought a Minitar little unit. And again couldn't be happier with it's performance.
    As I have and used both ATAs I can say that PAP2 is much more flexible in the way you can customise it to your needs with only one disadvantage - you need to know what you are doing.
    Minitar ATA from the other hand is extremely easy to setup and it has even iiNet configuration settings included in it's profile list. So it's realy matter of selecting iiNet from the drop down list, entering your phone number and password and start calling around .
    As I said before the performance (audio quality, calls stability etc) is very compatible to the standard PSTN line, at least I can't see a difference there.

jamesv (13-06-09)

Thanks

I am on naked DSL with iinet using a Belkin 4 port modem with 2 voip sockets (only using one) with a Linksys WRT54G wireless router to ensure QoS and port forwarding plus I can control the wireless with a timer (I'm not paranoid ).

• The Following User Says Thank You to ntmobilerepairs For This Useful Post:

jamesv (13-06-09)

Thanks

I was very happy with my Linksys PAP2 ATA until I forgot it's password. It wouldn't be a problem to reset it at all for me but I wanted to have a backup unit. So I went and bought a Minitar little unit. And again couldn't be happier with it's performance.
    As I have and used both ATAs I can say that PAP2 is much more flexible in the way you can customise it to your needs with only one disadvantage - you need to know what you are doing.
    Minitar ATA from the other hand is extremely easy to setup and it has even iiNet configuration settings included in it's profile list. So it's realy matter of selecting iiNet from the drop down list, entering your phone number and password and start calling around .
    As I said before the performance (audio quality, calls stability etc) is very compatible to the standard PSTN line, at least I can't see a difference there.
    I'm still undecided if i should go voip or another phone/bb bundle, of the linksys and minitar which would you recommend for stability and ease of use ?

Thanks

I'm still undecided if i should go voip or another phone/bb bundle, of the linksys and minitar which would you recommend for stability and ease of use ?
    Maybe I didn't make my previous post clear. What I was trying to say the stability is the same for both when Minitar is definetely a winner from the ease of use point of view.

Thanks

Maybe I didn't make my previous post clear. What I was trying to say the stability is the same for both when Minitar is definetely a winner from the ease of use point of view.
    Thanks again, i just bought a Zyxel 2302r for $20 so i now i just have to choose a new isp, Iinet is looking good its the downtime that is my only worry - not for me but the missus is home with 2 young kids and if she is without phone or internet my life wont be worth living.

Thanks

its the downtime that is my only worry - not for me but the missus is home with 2 young kids and if she is without phone or internet my life wont be worth living.
    Sure, it's a well known fact that if you have to rely on a phone for health or security reasons, then VOIP probably is not an option yet. From my experience I had my internet and obviously phone down twice for the last 14 or so months with iiNet. First time it happened last summer when half of the Melbourne suburbs had power blackouts - as I understand PSTN phones went down as well in a lot of places. Second time I had my house circuit breaker failure which left me without phones for a half a day. So it can happen. I always have my mobile phones (everyone in my household has one) as a backup communication device and so far it's all working well. We never've been in isolation.

jamesv (13-06-09)

Thanks

Took the plunge for adsl2 plus phone and voip, this way i can get the missus used to using it and then later on may switch to a naked plan.

Thanks

Thks fromaron, bug*er iinet just got back to him and told no ports available for next 6 months or so !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesv View Post
    Thks fromaron, bug*er iinet just got back to him and told no ports available for next 6 months or so !!
    Thats why i changed from Iprimus to iinet as iprimus wanted an extra 27.95 for the plan i wanted because they had no adsl2 hardware in my exchange. I signed up on Saturday and getting churned today , and i must say it is refreshing to be able to talk to someone local and to be put thru immediately instead of waiting for 30mins plus before cracking it and hanging up.

Thanks

hi mate,
    i am getting naked dsl with voip from iinet.which voip router are u using?
    u tell me Belkin one is crap. i have decided to bring my own router then pay 199 dollar for belkin. please suggest me the best voip wireless router.or can i just use this zyxel 2302r voip adaptor with my sppedtouch modem/wirelss router ?please suggest me good setup.
    thanks
    Ram

Last edited by crappymate; 06-07-09 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks

google the iinet Belkin, i am not the only one who thinks lowly of it. Get a Billion 7404. the ducks guts.
    iam a bogan

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast