Thread: Digital Radio, in the car.

Thanks

Default Digital Radio, in the car.

Seems to me to be just another in the long line of digital media gone wrong in this country.
    Digital TV has been a stuff up from day one and now we need to prepare for digital radio.
    Seeing that commercial radio stations put loads of dollars into their "stars" who fill the airways either at breakfast time or drive time. I wonder who is going put digital radio in all the cars on the road?
    I have yet to see an inexpensive digital radio for the home, and i am sure most car owners will not care for a set top box stuck on the dashboard of the family sedan.

I am appalled by the way the governing bodies go about this stuff in this country. Why not legislate that by 2008 all new vehicles had to have digital tuners in cars, then a decent number of listeners could benefit by the date of the product launch. Instead no one will be able to listen to radio in clear digital in their cars.

I suppose it is like cars with bluetooth integrated car radios and mobile phones, the technology is there but heaven forbid we push expensive technology on people, we'd just prefer to collect fines for them doing the wrong thing. Or put them through rehab after they write themselves off using the phone in the car.

So anyone got a clue about digital radio car units?
    looks to me like an item that looks like a GPS unit will be sitting along side the GPS unit next to the analogue radio.
    Last edited by mate; 05-06-09 at 05:37 PM.
    iam a bogan

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i think i bump this
    iam a bogan

Thanks

I agree. I can see the uptake of digital radio being really slow. The products just aren't on the australian market, and even when they do start comming out as you've already stated, most people listen to the radio in their cars and i can't see most people upgrading thier existing car radios.

Manufactures will have to start putting the technology into new cars before most people will have access to digital radio.

Thanks

Just a follow on from this thread

If it is at all possible to receive DAB through your PC then a car PC DAB receiver would be a cheaper option.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmc96 View Post
    Just a follow on from this thread

If it is at all possible to receive DAB through your PC then a car PC DAB receiver would be a cheaper option.
    So you are saying that you'd need a PC in your car and how is it going to connect to the radio signal and how are you going to listen to it?
    iam a bogan

Thanks

Yeah, carputers are mainly built by tecknofiles with touch screens and 12v ps's. Their output is out through the sound card directly to the amp or whatever/however you want to listen to your audio files.
    But, a physical connection to the DAB stream and decoding the signal through the PC is the question in this thread.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

It was the same with digital TV....look how long it took for TV's to get integrated digital tuners after the stations were already broadcasting in digital...it was about 2 years..bloody hopeless. It will probably take as long with digital radio. Mp3 capable car cd stereos...took years after their introduction before you saw them in cars. Damned if I know why it always takes so long.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    It was the same with digital TV....look how long it took for TV's to get integrated digital tuners after the stations were already broadcasting in digital...it was about 2 years..bloody hopeless. It will probably take as long with digital radio. Mp3 capable car cd stereos...took years after their introduction before you saw them in cars. Damned if I know why it always takes so long.
    Yep, at least 10 years if not a little more. Mp3's probably come out around the release of Win95. I remember the rigmorol of having to connect to time limited FTP sites and grabbing everything you can.

But yes I digress. There's not much info comming forth in relation to receiving Digital radio via any means other than internet or buying a standalone radio.

Thanks

Heard on the radio that you can get a DAB that retransmits on an FM channel so you can use it in the car.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssrattus View Post
    Heard on the radio that you can get a DAB that retransmits on an FM channel so you can use it in the car.
    Probably something like this:

Kinda defeats the purpose a bit, converting back to FM, but I doubt you'd really notice much difference with a completely digital system in a vehicle anyway, especially when mobile, with engine & road noise etc.

The big advantage of digital radio is that the AM stations are on it.... the audio quality from digital is obviously going to be a huge improvement over AM.

Also, with an external antenna connected, you wouldn't need the receiver stuck on the windscreen.
    Last edited by mtv; 11-06-09 at 04:31 PM. Reason: info added

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Looks like you can already get them in the UK

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    Looks like you can already get them in the UK
    DAB receivers are widely available in Europe/UK.... but before anyone jumps in and buys one, the system used in Australia is DAB+ (plus) not DAB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    DAB receivers are widely available in Europe/UK.... but before anyone jumps in and buys one, the system used in Australia is DAB+ (plus) not DAB.
    Aren't they backward compatible? Just means you won't get all the frilly extras, like OSD?

And, stupid Ford have an integrated in dash radio that can't be replaced with any generic brand as far as I know. So, for me, when it's sorted, It'll have to be an add on like a second radio, carputer or CE or whatever.

Thanks

what makes the whole issue STINK is that anyone who buys a new car or a new sound system in Australia today will not be able to listen to digital radio with that equipment.
    Another way Australia makes the "value adding" a term mean adding value to the cost to the end user. And more GST revenue for the government.
    iam a bogan