Thread: 9.6v flange type torch globe wtd

Thanks

Default 9.6v flange type torch globe wtd

hi all, id like to know if you could help me out,

i have an 8 cell torch that has a blown globe, and im having trouble locating a replacement globe for it.
    it is a 9.6 volt flange type globe. ive tried ds , jcar, farnell, etc.. with no luck.

any other recomendations on were i could source this globe?

thanks

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

I suppose you tried googling the brand of torch?

Thanks

i had the same problem a while ago with one of those cordless drill / torch packages that utilise the same battery... except my problem was the price for the globe from memory 12 bucks a globe or 3 bucks for 5 globes of a slightly lower voltage - i opted for that option, even though the globes didn't last very long the increased brightness and price diff made it acceptable.

that maybe another option

Thanks

You could try Bunnings, they seem to have a good range.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

Or you could go for a LED torch and never need a globe again, ever. The latest generation of Cree or Rebel LED torches are extremely bright.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
    Or you could go for a LED torch and never need a globe again, ever. The latest generation of Cree or Rebel LED torches are extremely bright.
    excellent idea !

Thanks

Some of those bulbs in cordless torches are brilliant and no led is going to reproduce the volume of light produced by them.

I bought a rechargeable 6 volt lantern with the same problem .I can't source the bulbs ,but they must be available in china or wherever but if they don't sell them here you have to buy a new torch . Good for sales hey?

Thanks

Some of those bulbs in cordless torches are brilliant and no led is going to reproduce the volume of light produced by them.
    You obviously haven't seen the latest generation LEDs. All my lantern and cordless tool torches have been retired in favour of Cree. The Q5 and Rebel 100 are awesome. The only thing that beats them are modified mags or hotwires. These are no puny 5mm LED. A powerful single LED can put out over 200 lumens. Plus most of them are computer controlled now and have variable brightness as needed. On low they have very long burn time and on high are very bright.

6V lantern torches usually use 4.8V bulbs. Jaycar or Kmart have them.

Thanks

not wrong learjet, after your previous thread about your purchase i also looked into it the cree was a bit more than the coffers would allow. I got myself a Dorcy, it uses a 1 watt superbright running off 3 AAA, it's bright enough for what i want, it'll leave a bright red blur on your retna for a few minutes when looked into even in daytime, and in a metal tube i can just chuck it the tool box and its fine
    When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!

Thanks

forgot to say, have you finished holding your breath up there learjet?
    When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!

Thanks

First day today that it's stopped raining.

If you want a cheaper cree, have a look at DX extreme, or even an ebay search for rebel or cree. Ultrafire make some fairly good models at much cheaper prices than Fenix. The drawback for cheaper models is the voltage regulator is not as efficient so run time is a bit shorter and they don't quite punch out as much light. Still, they seem to be good value for a low budget.

Thanks

I have tried several of the Dealextreme torches and one really stands out as better value.

This would be the WF-400 model, but you must ensure you order the version set up for a single 18650 Lithium-Ion rechargeable cell (SKU5448). Batteries and charger will set you back US$20 odd, the torch US$25. This might sound expensive, but you always have a bright white light and never have to replace a globe or buy rip-off half-flat batteries which die quickly.

On HIGH setting you will get 2+ hours, and around 7 hours on low. In actual general use this means recharging maybe monthly or even longer. I recharge the torch which lives in the car every 3 months, and the cell only needs a short top-up as these Lithium-Ion cells have very low self-discharge unlike NiCd or NiMh. These torches are always ready to go.

The HIGH setting is just too bright for many uses, for walking in dark areas the low setting is plenty. This ~ 6 inch-long torch is amazing, lighting up trees and finding possums at 100m easily.

Don't make the mistake of looking into the thing and turning it on !

I have also tried the 2-X 18650 WF-800 (SKU8687) which is really a spotlight and not really useful as a general-purpose torch. A mate saw this and bought it from me on the spot, it's now mounted under the barrel of a .22 Hornet rifle for pests (cats etc.) around his farmhouse.

If you want a bright, efficient torch which stays the same colour as the battery discharges, and doesn't go yellow-orange after 30 minutes like an incandescent torch, look for a recent-model LED torch. Anything later than a 'Q2' CREE LED is bound to be excellent, and if not can be modified easily using the later-model LEDs such as the 'Q5', and the various driver boards available with multiple run modes - all from Dealextreme.

No I don't have an interest in the DX business, just sharing my experiences with these amazing new-technology LED devices.

I built a 3 Watt Ultraviolet torch just for fun, it's amazing what is fluorescent in the natural world, and amazing how much man-made fluorescent rubbish is littered about the world. This torch lights up fluorescent posters etc. at 20 metres. I have standardised all my torch toys to use only the 18650 Protected Lithium-Ion 4.2 Volt cells rated at 2500mAh - the same popular cells as used in laptop peesees.

It's all fun.

Thanks

thanks for replies.

the globe wanted is for a costly underwater diving torch, bought 10 years ago.
    i have emailed the manufacturer in usa, and was advised they do not have globes anymore for my torch, as they have changed the parabolic reflector of their new range/torches to suit led technology.

the globe required is a standard flange type that fits any maglite torch, only problem is i cannot find the correct voltage type for 8 D cells. the closest i can find is a 7.2volt for 6 D cell.

so i guess i will have to put a resistor in series so the 7.2 globe will not burn, if im to use 8 cells, or solder a wire in my torch to manually bypass the electrical conections of 2 cells, and use only 6 cells in my torch. i will also need to cut a small piece of 30-40mm conduit to take up the space of the 2 missing cells, so the other 6 cells dont rattle in the torch.

any other options you can think of, for me to do?

cheers