Thread: Crab Nebula spinning up

Thanks

Default Crab Nebula spinning up

I came across this and the thought struck me that the pulsar in the center of this is spinning at an estimated 30 times per second with a mass equal to our sun but compressed to the size of a small town.

Thats what they say anyway.

So my thought was if a sun collapses in on itself its diameter gets smaller right? . So like a spinning dancer ,its spin would increase manyfold . So has anybody workrd out the formula to calculate that increase , and can it be used to estimate the spin of the original body?

Whhhoa, dont click on the thumbnail use the link because there is some blurb to read there

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Yes, I fella named Sir Isaac Newton.
    He is responsible for a lot of science and maths theory. But the particular one we're dealing with hear is conservation of momentum, in particular conservation of angular momentum.

The problem is working out the mass of the original star. Since most of that star is scattered over a couple of astronomical units and not all of it is visible.

We might be able to guesstimate the mass of that original star system by the the motion of its stellar neighbours. The total mass as not changed, it's just spread over a wider area.
    Like a plane crash. The wreckage doesn't weigh any less after the crash than the original aircraft did.

The rotation of the original star may be relatively trivial and comparisons could be made to other similar stars and their rotations.