Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: permanent magnet electricity generator

Thanks

Default permanent magnet electricity generator

Gday all. A mate of mine was talking about producing electricity to power his house with using permanent magnets. From what i've been hearing, its been done.

Just wondering if anybody has heard about it?

Thanks
    Slick1

Look Here ->
    Thanks

what voltage,ac/dc,how is it driven? google magnet alternator. silicon chip did a project using fysher & pikell washing machine motors [which are permanent magnet motors] as a wind driven alternator, the connections to the coils where reconfigured to give 12, 24,36 volts at I think about 100-120 watts.

Thanks

He was talking about mains voltage 220 - 240v. Dont Know if its doable though?

Slick1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slick1 View Post
    He was talking about mains voltage 220 - 240v. Dont Know if its doable though?

Slick1
    Sure it's doable. This is how electricity is generated all over the world .
    Your friend will have to use other mechanical energy to spin the magnet inside a coil and take generated (converted) electrical power from the coil.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slick1 View Post
    Gday all. A mate of mine was talking about producing electricity to power his house with using permanent magnets. From what i've been hearing, its been done.

Just wondering if anybody has heard about it?
    I'm just guessing here but if you think you can just position a bunch of super strong permanent magnets next to a stationary bunch of wire and create electricity, then I'm sorry to dissappoint you.

The key to generating electricity with magnetism is to create relative movement between the magnetic field and the conducting wire.

That's why generators need petrol, diesel, and steam engines to rotate the wire in the magnetic field.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Chee View Post
    That's why generators need petrol, diesel, and steam engines to rotate the wire in the magnetic field.
    You forgot to mention electric motor

Thanks

i have read somewhere they are working on self generating electric motors, they use a small starter motor to start them spinning they generate their own power ??

Tagg

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

another perpetual motion thread.

As Faraday discovered, it was not the magnetic flux that was responsible for creating current, but the change in flux. di/dt.

I've seen the utoob videos of the thing you're talking about tagg. I haven't seen a good explination of what they are doing, so it smells of fraud to me off the blocks. I think they are using the demonstration of a type of traction motor where they shunt from parallel to series shunt. I'm a bit fuzzy on what they were claiming, but I don't think it was extra energy, rather just feeding back EMF to overcome friction and other losses.

Thanks

They are [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BAqVrKlpZ0"]here[/ame], you are all unbelievers .

Thanks

you can create an electric powered motor / engine that runs on magnetic fields using very little power , have a generator / alternator attached to it as it''s own power source and run a secondary generator / alternator to produce power for other applications , simple generators have been around for near 100 years and ignored because the look too simple . magnetic drive has been done over an over again (although I have developed my own )

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by south_oz View Post
    you can create an electric powered motor / engine that runs on magnetic fields using very little power , have a generator / alternator attached to it as it''s own power source and run a secondary generator / alternator to produce power for other applications , simple generators have been around for near 100 years and ignored because the look too simple . magnetic drive has been done over an over again (although I have developed my own )
    you are a funny fella south oz

• The Following User Says Thank You to watchdog For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (05-11-14)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

you can create an electric powered motor / engine that runs on magnetic fields using very little power , have a generator / alternator attached to it as it''s own power source and run a secondary generator / alternator to produce power for other applications, simple generators have been around for near 100 years and ignored because the look too simple . magnetic drive has been done over an over again (although I have developed my own )
    I had a book one time on generators and wiring used on aircraft and in it were what they called 'Motor/Generator' sets.
    This was 2 sets of wiring on a single shaft, one end was the 'Motor', the other end the 'generator'.
    I dont know if the windings were connected or separate but it made for a fairly compact set.
    Also I cant remember now if they were only DC in and out or mixed but I doubt it was AC back then.
    My idea of a 'Motor/Generator' set is either a Petrol or Diesel powered engine driving a generator/alternator to produce electricity.

Even now I have a hard time understanding why you would run an electric motor coupled to a generator to produce a different voltage but maybe when the book was written this was the most viable and practicable option available to them.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-11-14 at 12:35 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post

Even now I have a hard time understanding why you would run an electric motor coupled to a generator to produce a different voltage but maybe when the book was written this was the most viable and practicable option available to them.
    One application for this is to provide a 3 phase supply when only a single phase supply is available. To do this you would use a single phase motor to drive a 3 phase generator, not incredibly efficient and comes with many limitations but works quite well.

Thanks

LOL ok watchdog in what way is my statement funny ?

Banned
    Thanks

Yes you can create an electric powered motor/engine that runs on magnetic fields and uses very little power but a free spinning motor is a bit useless. Put a load on it & you'll find it produces less power than it consumes. Your other post about a magnetic piston engine mentions the fact that a lot of heat is generated and your battery doesn't last very long. I hope you are not dwelling on this problem looking for a solution.

Godzilla (05-11-14)

Thanks

the only heat produced in the engine is the coil , which of cause is natural with the flow of electricity threw it.. I have had the engine running for 72 hours on single 9.6 volt drill battery ,with no load it runs at approx 1000 rpm , connected to a commodore alternator it go's down to 850 rpm , atm i'm only testing the engine with power on every half revolution , this saves power and keeps down the heat in the coil , I am also just using the pull effect of the magnetic field of the coil which i do admit is less productive in sense that is no were near as effective as repelling the rare earth magnet , but that takes more power to coil but give the engine about 3 time more power an a lot more torch , but if I expand the size of the coil and the amounts of winds within the coil it will have a stronger magnetic field , generate less heat for the same amount of power input (yes I also know that the more winds of coils the resistance in the copper would suggest that i would need more power input) .. the material I have chosen for the coil center and case (as with the cylinder of the engine) has magnetic dampening properties that focuses the direction of the field . I have been studying this for many a years now and have no illusion there is a simple solution but i firmly believe there is a middle ground where you can put more out than what is being used to produce it , I have also started on a twin cylinder engine (just a bit larger than the one in the demo video) that uses a new coil design with material that wont be effected with heat .
    Last edited by south_oz; 03-11-14 at 02:50 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

What about using a small solar panel to replace the battery.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

There maybe some of you out there who ride Bicycles and be old enough to remember the wheel driven Permanent magnet generator that was used to power the Head and Tail light.
    From memory the globe was 6V 3 Watt possibly and the tail was a 6v 1 watt.
    Most times the generator was mounted on the front fork for convenience but you felt its 'drag' as soon as you released it to run on the wheel so it took 'energy' (pedal power) to produce 'energy' to light the head and tail lights.
    Another type of Permanent Magnet motors were those used on Model Railways, the ones I had were a wire wound 3 pole type which were not considered as 'smooth' a running motor as a 5 pole.

Basically to produce Energy of any sort, you must USE energy to do so as even the Sun, the greatest powerhouse in our part of the universe is eating itself away to create the energy we rely on to exist.

If perpetual motion doesnt exist in nature, its very unlikely to exist anywhere else.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

the only heat produced in the engine is the coil , which of cause is natural with the flow of electricity threw it.. I have had the engine running for 72 hours on single 9.6 volt drill battery ,with no load it runs at approx 1000 rpm , connected to a commodore alternator it go's down to 850 rpm , atm i'm only testing the engine with power on every half revolution , this saves power and keeps down the heat in the coil , I am also just using the pull effect of the magnetic field of the coil which i do admit is less productive in sense that is no were near as effective as repelling the rare earth magnet , but that takes more power to coil but give the engine about 3 time more power an a lot more torch , but if I expand the size of the coil and the amounts of winds within the coil it will have a stronger magnetic field , generate less heat for the same amount of power input (yes I also know that the more winds of coils the resistance in the copper would suggest that i would need more power input) .. the material I have chosen for the coil center and case (as with the cylinder of the engine) has magnetic dampening properties that focuses the direction of the field . I have been studying this for many a years now and have no illusion there is a simple solution but i firmly believe there is a middle ground where you can put more out than what is being used to produce it , I have also started on a twin cylinder engine (just a bit larger than the one in the demo video) that uses a new coil design with material that wont be effected with heat .
    And if the commodore alternator has no electrical load then all you are achieving is spinning the armature & field winding. An awful lot of power lost in heat for very little mechanical work. Generally speaking a loaded alternator would take about as much effort to turn as starting your lawn mower. If you've ever spent 5 minutes trying to start a dead lawnmower you will understand that it is a large amount of work.

Godzilla (05-11-14)

Thanks

Well I have been told by experts that there is no way i could even get the engine running at all , I'v been told there is no way 3d printed material would stand up to the torch and constant motion and speed with out melting , I'v been told by the largest magnet company in the US that there is no way I could attract / repel a 50mm rare earth magnet with a home made coil from the distance of 50mm with out using great amounts of power , i'v been told that there is no way I could lift the piston connected to the crack with a 50mm magnet on it and a steel rod , with the fly wheel connected that come to quite a few kg lift just there . I know I will never fix all the solutions with this technology and I havent claimed to have but ay , i'm having fun doing it , with experimentation , trail and error and passing on what i'v done it may spark an idea in someone that can get that little bit closer

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast