Thread: Tomtom rebooting caused by mapsettings.cfg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 862 Posts

Default Tomtom rebooting caused by mapsettings.cfg

I figured out that the rebooting loop problem ,when caused by the mapsettings.cfg file , can be solved without loosing (deleting) your favorites :

Connect your Tomtom to Home and klick on "operate my ..." then add a random address or location to your favorites.
    This will actually rewrite the file mapseeting.cfg to the right format and you get rid of the rebooting loop without loosing your prcious favorites!
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    I figured out that the rebooting loop problem ,when caused by the mapsettings.cfg file , can be solved without loosing (deleting) your favorites :

Connect your Tomtom to Home and klick on "operate my ..." then add a random address or location to your favorites.
    This will actually rewrite the file mapseeting.cfg to the right format and you get rid of the rebooting loop without loosing your prcious favorites!
    That what I found out a while back. The mapsettings.cfg is incompatable between navcore versions (thanks TomTom!). The other way it can be done is to convert you favourites Mapsettings.cfg file to a POI using software called POIEDIT. But that containds a poi that is harder to find.

I also already posted instructions on the best way to migrate the old mapsettings.cfg into the new navcore mapsettings.cfg version.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Greg For This Useful Post:

peter3535 (15-07-09)

Thanks

I BOW DOWN TO THEEE

Hey guys thanx so much for ur time to post this! I joined just to write a reply of thanx and hopefully u may see it.

This fixed my tomtom 720go! i spent ages trying to work out what the problem was... following the tomtom help page, deleting everything, reinstalling everything, flashing it, reseting it and all alon all i had to do was logon and add a favorite!!!!! Unbelivable! thanx once again and godbless!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mayhampixi View Post
    I BOW DOWN TO THEEE

Hey guys thanx so much for ur time to post this! I joined just to write a reply of thanx and hopefully u may see it.

This fixed my tomtom 720go! i spent ages trying to work out what the problem was... following the tomtom help page, deleting everything, reinstalling everything, flashing it, reseting it and all alon all i had to do was logon and add a favorite!!!!! Unbelivable! thanx once again and godbless!
    You're most welcome !
    Positive feedback like this reminds us that the work we do is really helping other users!
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Thanks

Glad U got the post!
    Yeah it saved me, and thanx again, i even wrote to tomtom saying that they need to publish this solution in their online help FAQ.
    U guys fixed my tomtom go720 just as i was about to give up! And i needed it tonight as well to go pick up an ebay item from whoop whoop!! So happy!!
    Keep up the good work to all who post solutions on this website, very much appretiated by all!
    regards.

Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks!!!

I went through the whole registering proces, just to thank you for your solution to my on going problem!
    I knew what was the problem of rebooting, but I saw no other solution than accepting loss of my favorites after updating... I kept back-upping my MapSettings.cfg file but it never worked when I put it back after an update. Until I found this post today Thanks a lot

Thanks

Does this method work if you simply add a new (or random) favourite while the TomTom is NOT connected to the computer? It could be useful to know if you are out and about following a map update and you forgot to add a random favourite.

Thanks

These techniques dont always work. Always save your mapsettings.cfg. You can open this file with POIedit and your favorites will be opened as latitude and longitude addresses. You can then add favorites in your Tomtom using the coordinates option and enter the coordinates. Note your favorite will appear as degrees, minutes and seconds in the top right window and this is the format my TomTom One wanted. Bit time consuming but infallible, particularly when you have favorites like mine on unnamed roads and there are no other options

Thanks

I have tried the suggestion outlined above.

However

My TomTom tends to want to reboot when I change its power supply after switching it on - i.e. I set up the route and then turn on the ignition - and then I tend to get the re-boot. BUT I say 'tends' since I can still get a reboot - and especially if I use the 'home' icon rather than a POI or FAV.

So still a bit mystified.

Thanks

Thumbs up

thank u very much

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post

Downunder35m great post and thanks for the time you have spent on it to help others.

I had this reboot loop issue with G710 and just now I connected it to my PC and TTHome was updated and I ran Fast Activate (28-9-2012 release) which patched the TThome but "Problem with Map:.... error message keeps poping up when I try to operate my G710 to fix the loop as suggested by You.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Thanks

Fix the "Map problem..." error. Below is what i did after reading Greg's Post about copying"Navcore.9.485.1074274@tomtom.com" file.
    A: Stop TTHome if running and disconnect tomtom from PC.
    B: Delete the above file from: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\2w3jt1gp.default\extensi ons\Navcore.9.485.1074274@tomtom.com. (This last file is related to your Navcore)
    c:Launch TTHome and connect your tomtom. Let the home download the file when it prompt you.
    D: Disconnect tomtom, stop TThome.
    E: Patch TTHome now.
    Connect and tomtom should be fine to operate now.

Thanks

Default How I solved (?) this

Quote Originally Posted by brightonjohn View Post
    I have tried the suggestion outlined above.

However

My TomTom tends to want to reboot when I change its power supply after switching it on - i.e. I set up the route and then turn on the ignition - and then I tend to get the re-boot. BUT I say 'tends' since I can still get a reboot - and especially if I use the 'home' icon rather than a POI or FAV.

So still a bit mystified.
    I had this problem a few years ago; found that setting the route/itinerary before connecting to car mount (engine running) didn't cause a reboot. Likewise, I always disconnect from car mount before killing engine and powering down TT. I've no idea if this is still necessary, it's become a habit, just like releasing handbrake...