Hi there

I have an LG 50PG79ED which is a 50 inch plasma HDTV with a 160GB PVR built in. You can also backup recorded programs to an external HDD which can be useful.

LG don't give you any software to put in on your PC (and didn't return my emails).

I figured out that the TV formats the external drive in a linux partition and was able to extract the files using Explore2FS (via Windows). The files that you get have no file extension, but the end of the 5 files on the HDD (for 1 video copied) are DAT, IDX, STR, THM and PIF. The STR file was the video file

By trial and error, I was able to find a program that could convert it into a VOB file (the said program did not have to encode anything - it only took a few seconds for a few minute movie) which I could use to burn to a DVD or edit.

Problem is, my computer crashed and I can't remember what the program was that could read the files (and I think I had to give the file an extension as well). I thought it might have been SUPER, but I can't see that it was that (although the video plays in the preview window in SUPER without a problem, as it does in Media Player Classic, but I can't change the file into something I can edit)

Any ideas??