Thread: domain name register

Thanks

Default domain name register

A domain name I want, when hit on is showing that it has expired / renewal hasn't been paid for, I want to know if I can somehow reserve it for myself when it goes back "on the shelf" or do I just have to log on to my registrar every day and hope nobody buys it before me when it does become available again?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I had a similar problem were the register would not release the domain name to me because of a misunderstanding.

I think they can keep it on hold or try to sell it if you default or not renew.

mine sat in limbo land for a few weeks, while in limbo I could not register it but when I typed the domain name in the my browser I found that it had variuos adds on it.

I guess they are only allowed to keep it in limbo for a short time without it costing them any money and eventually it did became available & I was able to pick it again. I was told I could not reserve it.

Good Luck

Thanks

When a domain name expires it enters a "grace" period, during which the current registrant can still renew.

The "grace" period, lasts around 30 to 60 days. once that period is over, the registrar will release the name to the registry.... the name then enters a 30 day redemption grace period. When that is over, the registry processes the deletion, and approximately 5 days later the domain name will become available.

when you do a whois on the domain what does it status say?

Many places also let you backorder registered domains and soon expiring domains for a fee which is double/triple the amount of the standard fee.

Thanks

Toor, is the registry allowed to use the name while in the redemption period?

I am wondering why mine had adds on it. Also using the backdoor does that make the registry aware that someone wants the name?

thanks

Thanks

Many registers like namecheap who use enom have a defualt page on expired domains which does load up a page with ad's on it until the renewal fee is paid

I always thought of this as a sneeky and quick way for them to cash in on traffic/clicks

Thanks

More dirty tricks here...

January 8, 2008 |
    NameSecure (NSI) cheating market by front running domains
    By Leslie Poston

NameSecure (NSI) cheating market by front running domains In the news this week we hear that NameSecure has recently been busted front running domains. What does that mean, exactly? It means that if you go onto the NameSecure site to hunt for a domain’s availability and decide not to purchase the domain immediately, NameSecure snaps it up.

That is a highly unethical practice. Domain name searchers often hold off on purchasing the domain name the first time they search for any number of reasons: they haven’t yet decided that is the perfect name for them, they want to shop for the best domain name registrar and price, they were doing preliminary research for a site launch, and more. By snapping up the domain, NameSecure is taking advantage of its position as a registrar, and also forcing users to then buy that domain name from them instead of from someone else.

By forcing users to buy a domain name form them instead of being able to shop around, NameSecure is unfairly influencing price and eliminating freedom of choice for domain shoppers. It’s almost as bad as the people who take advantage of the 5 day buyers remorse loophole to set up free money making domains in domain tasting scams. In fact, NSI seems to be using the same 5 day loophole to hold the domains as their own in their front running scam:

The domains are likely being purchased and held in NSI ownership until the potential registrant comes back to purchase the name through NSI. If the purchase is not made at NSI within 5 days, NSI uses the same 5 day grace period that domain tasting operations use and they delete the domain. Once a search for a domain is conducted at NSI the domain name is registered and only available to be purchased by a registrant at NSI. It is not clear if NSI has increased prices on domains that have received multiple whois searches and that they are front running. (source)

ICANN, the international body in charge of domain regulations, has taken a keen interest in front running scams and domain tasting lately. It will be interesting to see how they handle the issue, since front running creates a huge lack of trust in the Internet domain buying community.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, i dont want to pay more than I have to for it if i can get it, so I will just keep checking back hoping to catch it when the grace period expired.

Thanks again for the info.