Thread: Help with retrieving my property that has been hocked by another person.

Thanks

Default Help with retrieving my property that has been hocked by another person.

I was wondering if anybody knows what my options are for getting my property out of hock?

the story is that i did some work for somebody and payment was to be a mobile phone that one of his ex employees still had in his possession, this person knew that he was to give the phone back to his former boss because he was giving it to me as payment for work that i had done, when i contacted this person to arrange pickup of the phone he said he had to call his boss in regards to that, he then called his boss and told him he had hocked it at a pawn shop, i was a bit annoyed at this but let it go thinking that as he had been honest with his ex boss and not fobbed him off with some lame excuse and that i would be able to arrange pickup of the item the following week, over a month later of myself and his ex boss calling i am still getting the same excuses about not having enough money to retrieve said item from hock, i know that i could just ask for money straight up for the job but i want the phone.

so has anybody else here had a similar experience and might be able to shed some light on what to do?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

That problem belongs to the " boss " , not you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

what sanity said is correct, it has nothing to do with u as u did not own the phone.

as the phone has been hocked it is deemed to be stolen, if he didnt own it.

the laws in nsw for pawnbrokers are, if the pawnbroker has bought the item in good faith (eg: the bloke showed id and such) then the real owner comes along and claims it,
    he can pay the debt and retrieve the phone, if he does not wish to do that, he can go to the police and lay charges, the police will confiscate the phone and hold it for evidence till after the trial, even after that he will have to pay the pawnbroker as he bought it in good faith.

this was the law in NSW. i had a secondhand dealers license in that state.

Thanks

Easy
    Get cash...and go buy another phone.
    If this is how this company settles their accounts I wouldnt be doing any other work for them
    Grab the cash and run.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Easy
    Get cash...and go buy another phone.
    If this is how this company settles their accounts I wouldnt be doing any other work for them
    Grab the cash and run.

bartering has been a way of life for 1000's of people for as long as i can remember ..just he was unlucky that he never got his phone when he finished what he had bartered to .

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

From experience with dealing with drug addicts something smells wrong here.

If the guy hocked it to a pawn broker it could be an outright sale or for a cash loan.

Normally if it’s for a loan there is a set period before the goods are forfeited to the pawn broker who may then sell the item to recoup the money loaned.

It is possible to pay money and extend the loan contract and latter on within that period repay the loan with interest and get the goods back.

Pawn brokers generally charge very high rates of interest so the prospect of your ex workmate being able to buy the phone back might be an issue.

If you know the pawn shop in question you might want to check what the loan period is as you say this has been going on for months the title to goods may now belong to pawn shop unless some arrangement was made.

Anyway what Mango said is 100% right it’s your bosses problems as it his property your just an interested onlooker.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

[QUOTE=SystemRat;17893]From experience with dealing with drug addicts something smells wrong here.

That would be hock shops no doubt. The fence you have, when you don't have a fence. Reckon you are roughly 100% on target Systemrat.

Thanks

Default Update.

The boss has set a date of about a week for him to get the item or he is filing a police report. yeah it was never really about the money this was a mates rates sort of job, it was either 150 bux or an imate jasjam as payment thats why i was holding out for the phone. anyways thanks for the insights, i'll let you know what happens from here.