Thread: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Thanks

Default Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

WARNING, CONTAINS "SPOILERS" FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE NEVER READ A HARRY POTTER BOOK OR HAVE BEEN HIDING UNDER A ROCK FOR A WHILE

Well I managed to score tickets to the Early Screening of HP6 last night in Sydney and not being a usual HP fan I was a little skeptical. That said I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and came out satisfied.

This installment covers the dark lords plan to kill Dumbledore and the return of Slughorn (who evidently knows how Voldemort is invincible and sprouts it to Harry when they are drunk).

The only gripe I had was how stupidly easy Dumbledore was to kill and the fact that there was no big fight or at the least a little scuffle. For one of the most powerful Wizards he sure was a push over, no pun intended ;-)

All in all I give it a 7/10 from a non HP fan point of view.
    Last edited by suffocator; 15-07-09 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Overly Sensitive People Whining

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suffocator View Post
    Well I managed to score tickets to the Early Screening of HP6 last night in Sydney and not being a usual HP fan I was a little skeptical. That said I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and came out satisfied.

This installment covers the dark lords plan to kill Dumbledore and the return of Slughorn (who evidently knows how Voldemort is invincible and sprouts it to Harry when they are drunk).

The only gripe I had was how stupidly easy Dumbledore was to kill and the fact that there was no big fight or at the least a little scuffle. For one of the most powerful Wizards he sure was a push over, no pun intended ;-)

All in all I give it a 7/10 from a non HP fan point of view.
    now you have stuffed it for ppl that wanted to go and see it by telling them dumbledore was killed.

you wanna go write another review tell the whole story, then jump off the gap, or whatever place they jump off in you state.

Thanks

Are you for real?

The fact that he dies is no secret and if you didn't want to know things about the movie then why read a review from someone who had seen it, there is always movie facts released in POST viewing reviews...

Thanks

Well I havn't seen it and I don't read the books

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DND View Post
    Well I havn't seen it and I don't read the books
    I added a big spoiler warning for people that don't want to read it, sorry if I ruined it for you...

Thanks

Yeah I read it before you changed it

Thanks

It seems that the key to fully comprehending this collection of Harry Potter movies is in having read the corresponding novels. Each film has amounted to a greatest hits compilation of favourite bits from the book with the background details filled in by the book readers' own fore knowledge and enthusiasm for the material. Pity us poor non book readers, then, as we attempt to decipher the relevance/importance of the included set pieces and how they fit in to the central narrative. This sixth instalment in the series, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, does not break this mould. Even the central premise of the film stretches credulity; Draco Malfoy is recruited by Voldemort to assassinate Professor Dumbledore, one of the most respected and powerful good guys in the wizardry league. Sure, and let's enlist a school girl to take out Dirty Harry while we're at it! Perhaps the justification for the believability of this premise is in the detail missing from the film. The book readers will know.

Another of the films great mysteries is why it is two and a half hours long when, frankly, not much happens in it. The fault lies in a sloppy script which contains little action but much soap opera and relies heavily on character dialogue to interpret the transpiring events. Given that the next book is to be stretched over 2 movies, be prepared for an even sloppier script. Maybe the producers should have hired Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh to look over the scripts given their success in distilling Tolkien's vastly complicated work into a script which, while taking extensive licence, was spiritually congruent with it's source? Indeed, had they sighted the Half Blood Prince script, they may have pointed out that having Harry and Dumbledore stranded on a tiny island in a subterranean lake being attacked by an army of Smeagols is perhaps just a teeny weeny bit close to a scene from The Hobbit.

Many lyricals have been waxed over how dark this entry is, and there's even a death in it, but when a crowded suspension bridge is destroyed in London and every soul miraculously gets off the bridge safely, you know the film really isn't that dark! Of course this doesn't stop the following morning's paper reporting on the "rising death toll"; apparently the Potterverse papers hold little regard for journalistic integrity.

Character development is virtually nonexistant, even after Harry beats a fellow student to within half a millimetre of his life, with the exception of a 3 second shot of Harry briefly considering the ramifications of his actions, his overall character arc remains unchanged. Every other character departs the film as they entered. Indeed, in retrospect, there has been little character development throughout the entire series.

However, despite this there are performances to enjoy. Jim Broadbent is particularly delightful, playing to his strengths as the jovial Horace Slughorn. As Luna Lovegood, Evanna Lynch's refreshing quirkiness steals all her scenes with her gorgeous ditzyness. Emma Watson and Rupert Grint hold up their end of the bargain and Daniel Radcliffe does what he can with Potter who always was the dullest character. Bonnie Wright is easy to warm to as Ginny Weasley.

As the franchise approaches the business end of its story arc and the Potter Lore correspondingly compounds in its complexity, the movies become increasingly incoherent due to their "greatest hits" mentality. It's as if a lot of critical details have been left out in order to make room for detail which is crowd-pleasing but ultimately inconsequential; a problem which compounds with each succeeding film; the deeper the lore, the more it gets glossed over. This will be a particular challenge for the last entry in the series due for release late next year which will need to draw all these threads, missing or otherwise, into an intelligible whole.

5 out of 10.

Thanks

seen it today and was left wondering why i went

worst of them all

my opinion

NS
    The Early Bird May Get The Worm But Its The Second Mouse That Gets The Cheese!

Thanks

I saw this film in Imax 3D two nights ago and I probably have more complaints about the whole Imax experience than I do about the film. I gave this film a thumb in the middle rating, it definitely wasn't thumbs up but I don't think it was terrible either.

Thanks

Grabbed a TS from bit torrent luckily, I didn't think the movie was any thing special.