Thread: Relook MICOM chip fix

Thanks

Default Relook MICOM chip fix

As raised in by vk6xlr, Relook receivers with old Micom version numbers can get a stability improvement by having a chip replaced. A while ago these were available for free but there's now a nominal charge to cover handling and postage from overseas.

For those just tuning in, '' is shorthand for microcomputer. The Micom in 's Relook 400S is a microcontroller IC located in a square (PLCC) socket near the front of the motherboard whose purpose is to handle remote control communication, front panel display and buttons. It's Taiwanese part [490K PDF], an 8051 variant with 8K of flash EPROM and plenty of I/O, no doubt chosen because it's cheap and the engineers were familiar with it.

The devices are reprogrammable but only by removing the chip and using a special programmer. The parts only cost a couple of bucks, it's the freight that's the issue, so when they need reprogramming it's cheaper for them just to post replacements and throw the old ones away.

I've not followed Micom-related bugs closely but from what I can tell there've been problems with units becoming unresponsive or occasionally . Presumably that's what the newer versions have fixed.

For those who've only recently purchased a Relook on bulk buy this is no doubt a PITA, but IMO $15 is a pretty reasonable charge for delivery of a new chip from overseas. Especially in my case where I bought mine four years ago and it's way out of warranty. Domestic courier services are typically more than that (most things on Visa's reward program have $22+ delivery charge).

Perhaps if DGStation published the hex file we could source chips locally and burn them ourselves (there are a bunch of manufacturers who make and ). But for $15 it's not worth our time. I doubt it'd be worth the hassle of organising a bulk order even if they'd sell us twenty for $5 each.

So, how are people paying for their chips? I wonder if DGStation take paypal?

By the way, when removing the old chip you should use a fine screwdriver or similar tool and do it gently from the opposite corners, taking care not to damage the plastic socket or its metal contacts.

If you replace your Micom, let us know your experiences.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gw1 For This Useful Post:

beat2l (20-07-09),gl007 (18-07-09),weirdo (17-07-09)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Received my Free Micom chip today from Dgstation, have put into the box and checked the before and after versions of the chip.

Before upgrade Version: 05.09.22
    After upgrade Version: 07.04.25

After installing the new micom and turning the box back on i saw the boot up image of what im running then went to a blank screen, ( panic in my mind at this point ) anyway turned off box via remote and turned back on and again and got boot up logo of image and straight to pictures, so all appears to be working fine.
    I have taken the hard disk out as i needed for another project so will pop another one in when i get time to go my mates place and pick up one his giving me and then will see how it goes with recording.

For those that have emailed Dgstation for the latest Micom they are now charging for it as it looks like they have had quite a few emails from us asking for the free upgrade.
    I am pasting a reply i got from them when i inquired about a week ago to see if mine had been sent then.

Dear xxxxxx

Last Friday, I sent 1 pc of micom to you by post according your address.
    I would like to explain our changed policy you . Actually, Our warraty already finished and expired about this products unfortunately.
    But we tried to supplied our upgraded chip but there are many customers want to get it for free these days.
    It is difficult for all customers to offer our free chip as you know well.
    I am sorry to inform of that we will ask to customer pay it as of today therefore, it was our last free supporting.
    Hope you can understand our side .

I think that you will be received our free chip early next week.

Should you have any questions, feel free to contact us.

Best Regards
    Venus/Oversea staff
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DGStation Co., Ltd.
    4F, 175-2 Yatap-Dong, Bundang-Gu,
    Sungnam-Si, Gyunggi-Do, 463-817, Korea
    Tel: +82 31 781 9015 (Ext.301), Fax: +82 31 781 9016
    MSN: star0539@hotmail.com

As for installing the chip gw1 gives an excellent description on how to do it, the chip is very easy to change as its one that has all its pins bent over and just pops into the socket, as long as you remove the old one carefully its childs play in putting the new one back.

Thanks

I'm still awaiting my chip. 3 times now they said it will be sent.
    How long did it take from when you sent the email to receipt of the chip?

My last email from them said "As of today, we have decided to request to customers to pay it. Therefore, It is our final free service" lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vk6xlr View Post
    I'm still awaiting my chip. 3 times now they said it will be sent.
    How long did it take from when you sent the email to receipt of the chip?

My last email from them said "As of today, we have decided to request to customers to pay it. Therefore, It is our final free service" lol
    Hi vk6xlr:

My first email asking for the free upgrade was on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 8:48 AM, Looking at the letter that came today with the chip and i do say letter as its in a normal letter envelope with the chip in it without any protection for the chip, the letters post mark is dated 22nd July 2009.

Email Venus back and ask if your Free chip has been sent yet, make sure you reply to her email that she sent you saying that she will send a chip out to you otherwise she might not remember you and tell you that you need to pay for it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to satboy For This Useful Post:

vk6xlr (28-07-09)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satboy View Post
    My first email asking for the free upgrade was on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 8:48 AM, Looking at the letter that came today with the chip and i do say letter as its in a normal letter envelope with the chip in it without any protection for the chip, the letters post mark is dated 22nd July 2009.
    Thanks satboy for the info.
    Venus is the only one I've been emailing. So something has gone astray somewhere

Premium Member
    Thanks

it took just over two weeks to get mine from first email kk6xlr
    maybe email again and ask what the delay is?

Thanks

Woohoo. Chip arrived today. It'll give me something to do on the weekend

Wondering if it will work though. No anti-static protection and its legs left a nice imprint in the envelope

Thanks

Woohoo. Chip arrived today. It'll give me something to do on the weekend

Wondering if it will work though. No anti-static protection and its legs left a nice imprint in the envelope
    Good to see you got it.

Looks like yours arrived in an envelope just like mine, it should work fine, i was surprised when i opened the envelope just to see the chip in there without any protection.

And yes my envelope has leg imprints on it as well.

When you replace it im guessing you will need to power the box up at least twice to get pictures back, so dont panic the 1st time you turn it on.

And the longest process in changing the chip over is actually removing the cover of the relook, the rest is child's play.

Thanks

It's piss-poor that they aren't shipping the ICs in a carrier.

PLCC leads are quite soft and fragile. Even taping them to a bit of styrofoam would be better than nothing and cost very little.

If your chip leads are squashed on arrival then massage them into place with a fine screwdriver or razor blade. They need to be evenly spaced, with ends curled under the package and none of them touching. The PLCC socket will guide the leads into place to some extent during insertion.

And finally, a warning about insertion. You need to ensure orientation is correct, with dot or flat side in the same position as the old chip you removed. If orientation is wrong the IC will usually still fit in the socket but won't work and may be destroyed when power is applied!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gw1 For This Useful Post:

covert (03-08-09)

Thanks

Yes, call me slack, but I finally installed the new Micom chip today.
    No hassles. Unplug old chip, plug in new chip and away it goes. No blank screens, no reboots

What I did do different, was to remove the battery before changing chips. Just in case

Before upgrade Version: 05.09.22
    After upgrade Version: 07.04.25
    Last edited by vk6xlr; 13-08-09 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks

remove the battery before changing chips
    OMG! Yes, definitely!

Thanks

I love it when you get steamed gw...you got personality too in your academic posts......toooo good mate, love ta have a beeer wit ya bro....

KK