Thread: Newbie Questions Re: Relook 400 and Mutant 200

Thanks

Default Newbie Questions Re: Relook 400 and Mutant 200

Hi guys i am looking at getting my first linux based sat box. I would like to do the following:

Have a PVR that can also run a server in the main living room that will share to 2 other boxes.

I was thinking if i get the relook 400 this would run my poxtel cable orange card and then i could share it to 2 mutant 200 boxes.

Would this work?

thanks.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nihonjin View Post
    Hi guys i am looking at getting my first linux based sat box. I would like to do the following:

Have a PVR that can also run a server in the main living room that will share to 2 other boxes.

I was thinking if i get the relook 400 this would run my poxtel cable orange card and then i could share it to 2 mutant 200 boxes.

Would this work?

thanks.
    Yes. But you would be better off using one of the 200s as the server, as with the right image (PLI etc) you can CCcam 2.1.1 or better in it & get card updates.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    Yes. But you would be better off using one of the 200s as the server, as with the right image (PLI etc) you can CCcam 2.1.1 or better in it & get card updates.
    thanks for your reply. I want to use the 400 as the wife is sue to a PVR in the living room (have the IQ). Would you be able to load the same image on either the 200 or the 400 so shouldn't the 400 handle being the server just as well?

Thanks

thanks for your reply. I want to use the 400 as the wife is sue to a PVR in the living room (have the IQ). Would you be able to load the same image on either the 200 or the 400 so shouldn't the 400 handle being the server just as well?
    If you don't use a DGS type image in the 400s (neumo, fantacyteam, highland, the one from the bulk buy etc), you will lose the 2nd tuner, and the pause etc functions. The problem with these images is that they don't support a CAM that will update the card. To get a box office movie or when you lose piccys, you would have to put the card back in the IQ, & usually then have to ring poxtel to get it reset.

With my setup, I run a PLI image in the 200s which support the latest CCcam (one of which I use as a server) & this keeps the card updated.

Thanks

is it likely the images to allow both tuners will improve their ability to also give card updates? I dont think the wife is going to be happy if she looses the ability to have a pvr. Is there any other workaround that will allow me to use the 400 as a pvr but still be able to get updates without needed to ring poxtel?

thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

why would you loose the pvr functionality when using a 200 as the server?

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

400s is a rubbish PVR compared to the iq2 box for foxtel.

It maybe great for other services but it doesn't come close to the iq2 for fox.

Maybe get the 400s first and make sure its wife proof

Thanks

The IQ is easy to use and the wife loves the way you can series record and stuff like that so its going to be hard to convince her to use something else.

But in saying that i would like to share to the bedroom and computer room so i just want to know the best way to do this and the relook 400 and mutant 200 boxes seem good value.

I dont suppose the pvr functions of the relook have a series link like the iq do they?

Thanks

I dont suppose the pvr functions of the relook have a series link like the iq do they?
    nope....

i dont think the EPG works properly either....

Thanks

There are a few major differences between the IQ & the 400s.
    1. IQ records the encrypted stream - you need the card to see anything you record. Recordings are controlled by the service provider & have a time limit on them. The 400 records the decrypted stream. Recordings can be burnt to DVD & are under your control for their lifetime.

2. The EPG on the 400 is basically just the current & next program. There are a few workarounds, but none are really satisfactory yet. Poxtel's EPG is the same as SKY Italy & UK, and there is some work being done on these for the Europeans which will be easily ported to oz. That said, they appear to be a low priority for the current developers (if you have code cutting skills, the sources are available, but you may need some fluency in Italian or German to be able to get assistance from the original programmers). There is also a partial solution available (see dreambox forum) from the oztivo group which would need some work to get it into the right format. The web interface on the 400 does give you the ability to record series etc, but it can't track changes to scheduled programs. The IQ gives you the service providers full EPG which is the goal we are chasing.

3. To watch pay TV in another location with the provider's boxes, you either have to run cables to the 2nd point (and use a distribution amp if you want more points) to feed via the RF interface, get something like an AV sender & receiver to feed comp video wirelessly, or pay an additional monthly subscription to the provider for a second box. Unless you go down the added box route, you are stuck with everyone watching the same program. With the 400, you still have to run cables to your additional sites (you may also have to run network cables) and you need a satellite multi-switch so that you can have your additional boxes receive all services.

4. The IQ belongs to the provider. If you get sick of their service, or want a feed from one of the many other satellites available to Australians, you have to get a separate box & infrastructure. The 400 allows you to use a device to select multiple satellites (google for diseqc if you want more info). It also removes some of the restrictions the providers put on you. eg. I regularly watch the football live on Channel 10 (Brisbane or Sydney) instead of the delayed feed from 10 Melbourne.

5. There are "added extras" on the provider boxes that you will probably never get on dreamboxes, relooks, etc. These are things like the red button services & games. You also won't be able to order box office services at the press of a button (how many IQ users connect it to their phone line?), but you can still call manually to get them. Also, as Australia is a very minor player in this field, we don't get anywhere near the development effort provided by the Europeans.

Please remember that these linux boxes are still primarily a hobby. You will have to do a fair bit of research and a lot of playing around to get everything the way you want. You are not quite on your own, but you won't have access to a 24/7 help service.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

gw1 (27-07-09),nihonjin (27-07-09),spence (28-07-09),urban_s0ulja (27-07-09),weirdo (27-07-09)

Thanks

thanks for your reply jgm. I will keep on reading. I know a bit about satellite stuff just never used a linux based box before.

Thanks

so i am still deciding between the dm600s and the relook 400. I know the 400 has better hardware but is there any reason why i should consider the dm600 over the 400?

Also is anyone sharing a orange poxtel card and can confirm that it definitely works in the relook 400. The wife will kill me if i spend more money on boxes and then it doesn't work.

thanks.

Thanks

dm600 has more images / better support.

honestly, instead of forking out heaps for a whole setup. I would just buy one box first (possibly the cheapest one available) have a play with it and see if you can get it to do what you want it to do.

Thanks

so i am still deciding between the dm600s and the relook 400. I know the 400 has better hardware but is there any reason why i should consider the dm600 over the 400?
    I have both, and use the 400 as my main box (the 600 is in the bedroom). The main differences are:

1: The 400 has 2 tuners & the 600 only has 1.
    2. The 400 can record any program while you are watching another - the 600 can only do this if they are both on the same transponder.
    3. The 400 has PVR functions like pause, ff, rewind etc for the program you are watching - the 600 doesn't
    4. The 400 won't update your card (at least with the emu's I've tried - I've seen some discussion about evocamd, but haven't tried it, & there doesn't seem to have been any development in it for 18 months+). The 600 with CCcam 2.0.9 + will update the card. I use either my 600 or a mutant 200S (with PLI Jade) as a server.

Also is anyone sharing a orange poxtel card and can confirm that it definitely works in the relook 400. The wife will kill me if i spend more money on boxes and then it doesn't work.
    You may have trouble with an orange in the 400, unless you use an enigma image, but then you lose features 1-3 above. This is because the 400 non-enigma images only support CCcam up to 2.0.0, & I've only seen confirmation that an orange works with 2.1.1. You could ask the question in the dreambox forum, as there are a lot more there with orange card experience.
    Last edited by jgm; 28-07-09 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks

what about card in 600 running 2.1.1 and the 400 running 2.0.0 as a client to the 600 - that should go
    I run 2.1.2 server and have 1.7.1 and 2.0.0 clients just fine
    Dm500, DM5620, DM600 x2, DM7000 x1, DM7020, DM7025, DM800, VU+DUO and a partridge in a pear tree
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing

Thanks

Default Manual Install

Can someone please advise on how i do a manual install of newcamd 6.10d, i have d/loaded the file and put it in /tmp folder of relook 400s and used blue button on remote but dont see the file to install it.
    Im using the neumo image 2.13.6 r2

I have d/loaded the .tar file not .zip

Thanks