Thread: Help with bridging

Thanks

Default Help with bridging

Hi all.
    This is my current setup.
    - Billion 5300G adsl2+/4port modem router.
    - Belkin N Wireless 4 Port Router F5D8236au4

Billion currently wired to 2 x pc.
    Billion also wireless to laptop via Belkin Wireless N usb adapter

What i wish to do is the following:
    Leave 2 x pc as is wired.
    Leave laptop as is with usb n conncection.
    I want to put the billion into bridge mode and have the belkin handle
    all the internet authentication and routing etc.

My problem is with putting the billion into bridge mode. there seems to be a few settings to use. I go into configuration/wan/isp and under the heading "main wan connection configuration", do i just check RFC1483 bridged, and thats it.
    Do i have to change any dhcp settings or anyting else, or just leave as is and restart.
    I know on the belkiin i then have to enter isp information like username etc. then restart that.

Basically i just want to get the N speeds to my laptop using the belkin. I was told that having 2 routers it is best to do the bridge thing.

If you are still reading this, many thanks, i have done a fair bit of reading on this and just still a little unsure about how much to change in the billion.

Hoping someone has the patience to help me.
    Cheers smokie

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Sorry about replying to myself.
    Can anyone help???

I have got as far as hooking everything up, the two pc's connected directly to the bellkin router work fine on the internet.
    I selected "Pure Bridged LLC" mode in the billion adsl/router. Wrote to flash and restarted.

The laptop will find the network, and connect local (as far as the belkin router), but will not connect to the internet.

It seems to lose the connection around every five minutes then re picks it up.
    It is only 5 metres away, with no interference or walls.

Am i missing something easy here, such as a setting that im not putting in somewhere.

Please someone if you can help that would be great as it pretty annoying at the moment.

Thanks

Well i guess i'm on my own with this one.
    tks

Thanks

My guess is the router that is connected to the internet is using the term bridge to "bridge" the router to the wan and not to the wireless.

Bridge mode is good if you simply want to use your "router" as a modem and have a 2nd box authenticate to the net.

I don't know about your gear and how it works, but it sounds like you need a WiFi Bridge. I know my OpenWRT does it.

Thanks

Tks for your reply mate.
    I have no probs connecting the laptop with the built in wireless, to the internet. it picks up the router and internet straight away. works flawlessly.
    Ipod touch works fine wireless, printer wireless etc. So i know it is set up right and other things can connect to the internet no probs.

The prob is the damm wireless N usb stick. Still only finding the router and not the internet.

do you think it could be the fact that the router is N and the adsl modem is a/b/g.

I wrote to belkin, quick reply and asked me to update the drivers on the usb stick. i did that and no fix. they said router/setup is fine because i can connect from built in wireless from lappy.

Im completely frazzeled by this now, and about to give up and stay with my built in wireless G.

Do u reckon it sounds like a dud stick?