Thread: Big problems

Thanks

Default Big problems

My missus' computer seems to be riddled with crap. She rarely uses the internet and is on dial-up at her shop. It has AVG installed and nothing else. I have tried to uninstall AVG and give her a better Anti Virus, but I cant install or uninstall anything. I am trying to put Malwarebytes on it too, but cant. I cant even open the Task Manager and am being thrown off the internet.
    Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biggun View Post
    I cant install or uninstall anything
    What error messages are you getting when trying to install and uninstall?

What error messages are you getting when trying open task manager?

Try run msconfig and see was is booting at startup.

Sometimes booting up in safe mode will allow you to gain task manager and msconfig.
    Last edited by N00b; 02-08-09 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks

Thanks Noob, There are no error messages, just flashes up, like it is going to work and then nothing happens. I have tried booting in safe mode too, that doesnt let me install/uninstall either. I will try msconfig

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

I had a bitch of a one like that and the only way i got into it was with BartPE and did a system restore and then install/run malaware bytes BUT it stuffed up after a week so a clean install fixed all should have done that the 1st time i got it LOL
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

I have been playing around with it and some "Windows Security Suite" bullshit has just popped up! My missus reckons she didnt install it. I cant see it in the programs list or in add/remove programs either, i think this could be the problem, now for some more research.
    Cheers

Thanks

Sounds much like one that beat me... a format and clean install was the final solution. I normally can beat most virii and trojans. It was "root kit" based and wouldn't allow install of malwarebytes or anything else. It was caught by visiting a bad website and not having a good anti-virus app to stop it.

What wasn't tried, they may work, was taking the HD out and putting it in as a 2nd drive (or in a USB drive case) and cleaning it with malwarebytes and root kit cleaners etc.

Thanks

Could that infect the "donor" computer?

Thanks

Shouldn't infect the donor because nothing is being executed on the infected drive. What may happen is because you have 2 bootable drives the PC may incorrectly start up on the infected drive, but I doubt the trojan would be clever enough to infect the other drive because it is bootable.
    If you put it in a USB drive case you would be safe since nothing is executed on it.

Thanks

Thanks ssrattus, I will try that, when i get a usb case

Thanks

I deal with this crap all the time. hook it up to Another pc and scan it with malwarebytes to remove the nasties. connect it to the secondary IDE or sata so Windows boots of its normal drive and infected drive is free for scanning AVG will also remove some. then reinstall it into its own case and run them again as well as spybot S&D
    Last edited by mutanti; 02-08-09 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks

well a lot of people have knocked avg but i was using kaspersky with malwarebytes when i got win32/virut it infects all exe files on comp now i tried everything to try and get rid of this nasty piece of work format reinstall within 24 hours computer was rooted would not even boot blue screened out did about 7 reinstalls tried different antivirus programs avast vet and panda and would scan the other 2 hard drives before using them well you know what finaly got this sucker avg 8.5 yep and it has been over 3 weeks now and no more nasty little critters popping up have know idea were this come from as i religiously keep auto updates on with daily updates so was quite shocked any way thats my rant for the week
    cheers puca
    Last edited by puca; 03-08-09 at 09:16 AM.
    IF IT DONT WORK USE A BIGGER HAMMER

Thanks

A Lot of People Knock AVG But I have found it in Conjunction with Malwarebytes to be very good.
    Although lately been getting the pop ups for AVG which Ill have to try and disable somewhere.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

AVG is a virus in my opinion.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Default Not all anti-virus programs are equal

I too was often perplexed to find that a particular virus was readily detected by one program but not by another. For this reason, I decided many years ago, to use several different programs simultaneously. This is a practice I continue to observe.

Some research revealed that the various anti-virus programs often use only one of several different methods to detect malicious threats on a computer.
    This to some extent can explain why some A/V programs successfully detect particular virii and others fail completely to detect the same virii.

The most common methods are (1) signature and (2) heuristic.

From the informative article at

There are several methods which antivirus software can use to identify malware.
    Signature based detection is the most common method. To identify viruses and other malware, antivirus software compares the contents of a file to a dictionary of virus signatures. Because viruses can embed themselves in existing files, the entire file is searched, not just as a whole, but also in pieces.
    Malicious activity detection is another approach used to identify malware. In this approach, antivirus software monitors the system for suspicious program behavior. If suspicious behavior is detected, the suspect program may be further investigated, using signature based detection or another method listed in this section. This type of detection can be used to identify unknown viruses or variants on existing viruses.
    Heuristic-based detection, like malicious activity detection, can be used to identify unknown viruses. This can be accomplished in one of two ways: file analysis and file emulation.

Additionally, a few other reasons for failure to detect some virii that come to mind are, (a) failure of the user to apply the latest updates as they become available (b) inadequate updating on the part of the program authors/suppliers, and (c) poorly engineered anti-virus programs.

I have noticed also, that some people use speed of execution as the overriding parameter for choosing which anti-virus program to install.
    This can be a costly mistake, as a program which executes quickly, might be using only one detection method rather than several, thus making it less efficient for its intended purpose.
    Last edited by tristen; 03-08-09 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for everybody's help. I ended up putting the HDD in an external case and connecting it to another PC, running every possible program through it. It seems to have killed the nasty piece of shit.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ssrattus View Post
    Shouldn't infect the donor because nothing is being executed on the infected drive. What may happen is because you have 2 bootable drives the PC may incorrectly start up on the infected drive, but I doubt the trojan would be clever enough to infect the other drive because it is bootable.
    If you put it in a USB drive case you would be safe since nothing is executed on it.
    Cheers for the info I'm pretty sure I picked up the same virus only last couple of days ago,malwarebytes and bit defender playing up.Thought it was the rego. Tried removing but would not do anything in safe mode.
    Keep comming up with runtime errors when trying to start them.
    Will try mounting in the USB case trick and scanning.