Thread: CCTV Webserver Advice Wanted

Thanks

Default CCTV Webserver Advice Wanted

Hey Guys,
    I am fairly clueless when it comes to webserver requirements for my cctv system and could use some help. To view my cameras remotely do I need IP cameras? I will try to describe my setup. I have 8 cams (none are IP) some outdoor IR and a couple of indoor non IR. All are different makes and most came from ebay. I have an 8 channel video processor which feeds to a Tv capture card and one cam hooked to a dvr card (this is so I can record the one hi-res cam separately to the others so it gets better resolution on playback) the computer is a p4 with 2.8ghz cpu 1.5gb ram 256graphics card. This machine is for cctv only. The software is BlueIris. So do I need to fork out for IP cams or can I set up a webserver with what I have? Any advice will be hugely appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Enable the "webcam" option in blueiris?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Don't let the IP in IP Cameras fool you, most DVR's have webservers built in and as Privateer has mentioned you need to enable it in the software, have an internet connection and away you go.

I have found TPG ADSL2+ to be the best as they don't count uploads as part of your download quota, their price is reasonable and their speed is sufficient to stream to the web.

Thanks

Default Webserver Help

Thanks guys.
    I was confused by a rep from a well known security company who told me I needed to change to IP cameras and then gave me a quote for $8500 to supply and install them. I thought he was full of sh*t but now I know he was. Cheers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Don't let the IP in IP Cameras fool you, most DVR's have webservers built in .......
    DVR's that I have experience with have very poor network compression and some have average software.

As a DVR is desinged for local storage, it's not desighend around the best remote solution. What is the requirement - occasional remote log in or regular. If its the second, dont go DVR
    Tim Norton

Thanks

Default Webserver Help

Just the occassional log in. If I am not home and the alarm activates Iget an sms notification so I want to be able to use my phone to go online and have a quick look at my cameras.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by niftyned View Post
    Just the occassional log in. If I am not home and the alarm activates Iget an sms notification so I want to be able to use my phone to go online and have a quick look at my cameras.
    The hikvision dvrs do this quite well and have a software package that runs on win mobile phones and you can set the compression on a seperate stream whitch this software runs quite low so it wont blow out ya phone data plan.
    the phone software is a bit strange to configure but it works.

Another option is to use a dvr that comes with the RAS+ there are plenty of makes and modles to choose from. RAS+ now also has a win mobile client.

both of these options will be a hell of a lot cheaper than $8500

If ya run an iphone you could be in trouble but i am looking into apps for the ras+ dvrs at the moment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr.damage View Post
    If ya run an iphone you could be in trouble but i am looking into apps for the ras+ dvrs at the moment.
    If you come up with a solution for the iPhone let us know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCT View Post
    most PVR's webcam softwares run on Java. the iPhone does not support Java
    iam a bogan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCT View Post
    The software package that I use is called BlueIris
    This software is feature packed and offers support for Iphone and has a very user friendly webserver and multi-format capabilities. There is also a BlueIris users forum for support and discussion.

The only problem I have at the moment is finding a generic driver for a Goldvision H.264D1 dvr so BI will recognise it. If anyone has anything that might work I would appreciate it, I have tried dozens of different drivers and software packages in the last week without success.
    "I dont care who your old man is. Dont walk on the water while I`m fishin`". Peter The Apostle

Thanks

Default DVR vs IP camera confusion

Quote Originally Posted by CCTVguru View Post
    DVR's that I have experience with have very poor network compression and some have average software.

As a DVR is desinged for local storage, it's not desighend around the best remote solution. What is the requirement - occasional remote log in or regular. If its the second, dont go DVR
    I tend to disagree with this. Most DVR that I have had experience with utilise effectively the same compression technology for the IP encoding as the IP cameras. Given that the main cost for IP encoding whether in the camera or in the DVR is the compression chips, it is often cost effective to centralise this processing.

Dual stream encoding is what to look out for in the DVR. It will allow you to set 2 stream encoding resolutions to suit the local storage and the network seperately. Hikvision have some great models for this. Try DS-7204HVI-s as an entry point H.264 4 camera DVR at the same price as many seperate encoders with option for a HDD.

I agree that long term IP cameras are the way to go, but the reality is that in many situations DVRs come up with the goods at the right price.