Thread: Multiswitch question..

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Default Multiswitch question..

On a 4x4 multiswitch, does it usually take around 6 seconds to switch from 18V/0kHz LNB to an 18V/22kHz LNB? I find switching between vertical and horizontal channels on either LNB to be seemless, but switching between the same polarities on either LNB takes a while, sometimes upwards of 10 seconds to lock on.

My setup is;

LNB1 18V 22kHz Intelsat 8 11300/11300
    LNB2 13V 22kHz (Vacant, future B3)
    LNB3 18V 0kHz Optus D1 10700/10700
    LNB4 13V 0kHz Optus C1 10700/10700

1x DM500S with settings attatched in picture
    1x Twinhan PC card - currently disconnected
    (1x Future Relook 400S dual tuner)

The reason the LNB's are in that order is because it was the last change I made to it which resulted in working signal for all LNB's. I spent days stuffing around with this thing, and with this latest discovery of 6-second gaps between voltage changes, I'm worried it's all going to crash again!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I've seen misbehaviour like that too on my 4x8 multiswitch occasionally but never figured out why I only remember seeing it happen on my DM500s, not with other receivers like Strong, Humax, Nokia, Manhattan & Benjamin, but can't be certain about that.

The delay you're describing certainly shouldn't happen. I was under the impression that 22kHz tone-based switches (the technology used by multiswitches) are generally more reliable than DiSEqC ones. If others here are aware of common problems with 22kHz tone switches then I too would love to hear about it.

My best guess is your multiswitch may be on the way out. If you can borrow another one off a friend it would be a good first step to try.

I've never pulled a mutiswitch (or 22kHz switch) apart so I'm not sure how their tone detection is being done. If done using a then its 22kHz detection would be flakey if the passband characteristics drifted. If done using a then an inaccurate reference would definitely explain the sluggish response. Drifting timebases can be caused by aging capacitors (is your multiswitch new?). Timebases can also be temperature sensitive so it may be worth blasting your multiswitch with a cooling spray, observe how long it takes to lock, then repeat after heating for a while to see if lock time changes. If so that would point finger at your multiswitch.

Ensure that your DM500S (and your other receivers when connected) all have DiSEqC switched off. Stray DiSEqC pulses can upset some 22kHz switches, as and .

Because my occasional switching problems always seemed to manifest with my DM500 I've long been suspicious about DM500's 22kHz implementation. But as nobody else has mentioned it I'd have to say it's more likely to be a multiswitch fault than a DM500 fault. Do you observe the switching delay on your other receivers as well?

If trouble persists, maybe monitor the DM500 output voltage with a multimeter to check it's not misbehaving. And try experimenting with the Dream's LNB voltage boost option. I know the fault appears to be 22kHz related but you just never know.
    Last edited by gw1; 05-08-09 at 12:34 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post
    I've seen misbehaviour like that too on my 4x8 multiswitch occasionally but never figured out why I only remember seeing it happen on my DM500s, not with other receivers like Strong, Humax, Nokia, Manhattan & Benjamin, but can't be certain about that.
    I have a feeling it's the DM500. I have never had any luck with DiSEqC or multiswitches on this box in the past. The only way I managed to finally get my (new) 4x4 switch to work was to install each satellite one by one without the switch, using settings as if the switch was there, then installing the switch last.

The delay you're describing certainly shouldn't happen. I was under the impression that 22kHz tone-based switches (the technology used by multiswitches) are generally more reliable than DiSEqC ones. If others here are aware of common problems with 22kHz tone switches then I too would love to hear about it.

My best guess is your multiswitch may be on the way out. If you can borrow another one off a friend it would be a good first step to try.
    Mmm, it just arrived three days ago. I'm certainly not ruling out a faulty switch, but it's unlikely. It's an Odrok MS-4401.

I've never pulled a mutiswitch (or 22kHz switch) apart so I'm not sure how their tone detection is being done. If done using a then its 22kHz detection would be flakey if the passband characteristics drifted. If done using a then an inaccurate reference would definitely explain the sluggish response. Drifting timebases can be caused by aging capacitors (is your multiswitch new?). Timebases can also be temperature sensitive so it may be worth blasting your multiswitch with a cooling spray, observe how long it takes to lock, then repeat after heating for a while to see if lock time changes. If so that would point finger at your multiswitch.
    Very interesting reading there. I'll have a play with temps and report back.

Ensure that your DM500S (and your other receivers when connected) all have DiSEqC switched off. Stray DiSEqC pulses can upset some 22kHz switches, as and .

Because my occasional switching problems always seemed to manifest with my DM500 I've long been suspicious about DM500's 22kHz implementation. But as nobody else has mentioned it I'd have to say it's more likely to be a multiswitch fault than a DM500 fault. Do you observe the switching delay on your other receivers as well?
    Only one receiver here at the moment, other than the PC card - but that piece of shit has the worst satellite configuration menus I have ever seen, so I can't get multiple satellites working on that. Relook will be here soon, so we shall see.

If trouble persists, maybe monitor the DM500 output voltage with a multimeter to check it's not misbehaving. And try experimenting with the Dream's LNB voltage boost option. I know the fault appears to be 22kHz related but you just never know.
    I increased voltage on all LNB's first, no luck. Tried on only the 22kHz LNB, no luck. Lastly, tried on all 0kHz LNB's. Again, no luck. I'll borrow my old man's multimeter and see what's going on.

As usual, you're wealth of information gee dubya. Thanks a bunch!

Thanks

I have never seen this behaviour channel changing takes place them same on one satellite as on another.

I have 8 in 16 out multswitches in my server room hooked up to hundreds of receivers and never have any problems with channel changes.

Last edited by irdeto2engineer; 06-08-09 at 04:03 AM.