Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
Sorry Nomeat. Life starting in regions like ort clouds and then spreading from there is a very very long shot. In an infinate universe it would seem nothing is impossible. But it's very improbable that we do not normally entertain the thought after consideration..
I didn't mean that life STARTED outside in the Oort. There is not enough energy.
Those nucleids carrying the right building blocks get ejected and life could form when they orbit close enough to the sun through heat, UV, solar particle radiation, whatever. Only a possibility to think about, I am not insisting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
A "slightly" more plausible logic would be that a previous solar system developed life in whatever forms it took, when that solar system was destroyed, the reminants of life were vaguely dispersed. Som of that material was then trapped in material that found it's way into ort objects where it remained trapped until such objects are ejected from an ort cloud.
That would be a possibility that I meant when I wrote this:

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
OK, but if a comet accumulated water, why can't it have accumulated 'contaminated' water with bacteria, alge, at least spores?
It is suggested that the Oort cloud from where many comets are believed to have formed was originally much closer to the sun.
Overlap and interaction with similar formations of other star systems is also thought to be possible.
These deep frozen spores of life from other star systems could have been around for billions of years
and found their way somehow through the Oort to 'seed' our Earth with life via a comet.
In such a large time frame the word 'probability' becomes almost meaningless

Yes, I wonder where all the ethanol in space came from and how it goes with salt and a slice of lime.