Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depression / Beyondblue

Thanks

Default Depression / Beyondblue

There was a great thread in the old database started after Charmaine Dragun sadly ended her own life.
    A desperately sad way to bring public attention to an issue that is more common than people like to think , but it is very real.

Unfortunately there is very little immediate help for people faced with serious depression or when people reach the end of clear thinking and are contemplating what seems to be the only solution "Suicide" .

Most people are aware of Beyondblue.org , for some mild cases where someone has symptoms of depression or some mild mental illness this can help , but despite the message they are trying to get out to the public beyondblue falls a long way short of being any help to people with serious conditions or in need of immediate help , basically if your condition is as serious as the common cold beyondblue will probably help as long as you only need help weekdays between 9 - 5pm.
    For people suffering the crippling effects of panic attacks , anxiety attacks , severe depression or contemplating suicide help appears to be as illusive as the condition itself.

I would be very interested in hearing peoples experiences that have survived or going through severe conditions as above , what would help you ?? what could be in place that people could turn to when everything else has failed ?

Why are people referred to GP's / Script writers that in most cases have problems spelling depression let alone understand it , not to mention not having a clue about the effects some of these medications have on peoples lives , and the devastating effects and reactions certain people have when switching medication ( Charmaine Dragun ) was a perfect example.

Many questions , not so many answers !
    Last edited by Joey; 24-02-08 at 12:00 AM. Reason: repeated word repeated word

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I agree that it is a problem, but with the pool of social resources available I personally consider it to be not worthy of any financial support.

As for Beyond Blue I get depressed at the mere thought of having Jeff Kennett as a spokesman.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Gp's know more than you think. And even the most highly trained shrink will tell you that fighting metal illness is still a trail and error practice when it comes to selecting a suitable medication.

Beyound Blue is a joke as far as i'm concerned.... not sure if it has improved, but apart from offering a couple of simple and broad tests, its a joke for people actually trying to seek help! It was founded by a group of people seeking money from Goverment funds, and it did them very well thank you.
    Trust me, i tried to get the face of Beyound Blue to be a quest speaker once, he wanted $25,000 for 50 minutes. Thats depressing in itself!

As for help to mental illness, thats a very complex answer. But i agree, it is a HUGE and very REAL problem none the less.

One of the biggest points with depresion, is the shame, so no matter how much help is out there, it will make little difference anyway, because peoples shame will not let them seek help, or should i say, help themselves.

Lots of people live with it all their lives to differing degrees, most learn how to cope with it, some end up becoming withdrawn yet manage a simple life. Others make the struggle go away by ending their life.

It's sad and wasteful, but until you have lived in that persons shoes for a year/years, you can not judge his or hers actions.

Physical Activity helps, sun light helps, including yourself around friends helps, eating healthy helps.... but at the end of the day, all these just mask the underlying problem, thus its a very hard question to answer.

Thanks

My good mate of 20 years was diagnosed with bi-polar via the public health system and was referred to a Psychiatrist the thing for him was he needed help there and then not 4 weeks a way 2 weeks be for his first a appointment with a Psychiatrist he hung him self ...

When people need help they need it now not in a few days not next week or as this case was 4 weeks wait !!!

RIP. Tony 1978-2008
    Last edited by admin; 24-02-08 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Why are people referred to GP's / Script writers that in most cases have problems spelling depression let alone understand it .....
    A recent experience with a local GP after this person I know(not me) was admitted to hospital for attempted suicide.
    His grand words of wisdom to this person, "think positive"!
    WOW what an epiphany. Shit I wish I would of thought of that.
    Took the Mental Health team 3 days to visit...about half an hour before this person was realeased from hospital. Appointment made for next week! Wow, gee wizz, thanks for all your help.
    They might go and find another bottle of pills before then & do it right this time.
    Idiotic system in place.
    Happy to be here......still

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RSA View Post
    My good mate of 20 years was diagnosed with bi-polar via the public health system and was referred to a Psychiatrist the thing for him was he needed help there and then not 4 weeks a way 2 weeks be for his first a appointment with a Psychiatrist he hung him self ...

When people need help they need it now not in a few days not next week or as this case was 4 weeks wait !!!
    RIP. Tony 1978-2008
    Sorry to hear that mate, This is exactly what I mean about immediate help, the health system / people in general dont understand how serious the problem is and the need for emergency help , 4 hours might have been more acceptable , 4 days is not immediate help , 4 weeks is ludicrous !!

The decision to end your life for a depression sufferer can be as matter a fact as changing the TV channel ., It seems you have to physically smashed up with blood all over you to get emergency help , people contemplating ending their lives are every bit as smashed up on the inside but that doesn't seem to count.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poddy View Post
    A recent experience with a local GP after this person I know(not me) was admitted to hospital for attempted suicide.
    His grand words of wisdom to this person, "think positive"!
    WOW what an epiphany. Shit I wish I would of thought of that.
    Took the Mental Health team 3 days to visit...about half an hour before this person was realeased from hospital. Appointment made for next week! Wow, gee wizz, thanks for all your help.
    They might go and find another bottle of pills before then & do it right this time.
    Idiotic system in place.
    WOW alright !! "think positive" , now why couldn't someone call out to Charmaine , think positive!! , as pathetic as my doctors words " Relax " or the famous question , " are you allergic to anything " Well yeah I'm obviously allergic to depression because it's ruining my life !! , but I think I might have got better treatment and understanding if I said I was allergic to peanuts !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Gp's know more than you think. And even the most highly trained shrink will tell you that fighting metal illness is still a trail and error practice when it comes to selecting a suitable medication.

Beyound Blue is a joke as far as i'm concerned.... not sure if it has improved, but apart from offering a couple of simple and broad tests, its a joke for people actually trying to seek help! It was founded by a group of people seeking money from Goverment funds, and it did them very well thank you.
    Trust me, i tried to get the face of Beyound Blue to be a quest speaker once, he wanted $25,000 for 50 minutes. Thats depressing in itself!

As for help to mental illness, thats a very complex answer. But i agree, it is a HUGE and very REAL problem none the less.

One of the biggest points with depresion, is the shame, so no matter how much help is out there, it will make little difference anyway, because peoples shame will not let them seek help, or should i say, help themselves.

Lots of people live with it all their lives to differing degrees, most learn how to cope with it, some end up becoming withdrawn yet manage a simple life. Others make the struggle go away by ending their life.

It's sad and wasteful, but until you have lived in that persons shoes for a year/years, you can not judge his or hers actions.

Physical Activity helps, sun light helps, including yourself around friends helps, eating healthy helps.... but at the end of the day, all these just mask the underlying problem, thus its a very hard question to answer.
    Maybe you mean "Some" Gp's know a bit about depression because it certainly is not the norm.

Totally agree beyondblue is a joke ! those rubbish tests dont even touch the surface of describing the symptoms or feelings of a true sufferer.
    I cant believe they expect money to speak about what they promote!! Well money for self promotion.

I cant totally agree that shame is basis of most peoples decission to not seek help , in reality it's frustration and desperation at not knowing how to find or where to look for help that is a catalyst for many decisions.
    Masking the problem as you put it is not always an option in severe cases , the very thought of going outside , eating or speaking to people is as challenging and taking the next breath without suffocating.

Thanks

WOW alright !! "think positive" , now why couldn't someone call out to Charmaine , think positive!! , as pathetic as my doctors words " Relax " or the famous question , " are you allergic to anything " Well yeah I'm obviously allergic to depression because it's ruining my life !! , but I think I might have got better treatment and understanding if I said I was allergic to peanuts !
    I must admit I was one of those people saying things like, "why don't you try to look on the bright side of things" or "just be positive" or "chill out mate, look at what you'd be missing out on".
    That was until my life was touched by people with this shitty condition.
    5 days straight on suicide watch was enough for me to work out words mean nothing to these guys. Their goal is no different to another persons goal of driving to the shopping centre to do their weeks groceries. It's a planned event in most cases. And when someone spoils this event they are the hated & despised ones. It's not a nice situation for anyone involved.

You would think a trained medical professional would know what to do with someone who's just attempted to kill themselves.
    Unfortunately this person isn't thinking the most wonderful things about life.
    The only positive thing they can think of is how wonderful it will be to be dead.
    All a GP should be doing is to make them safe, listen to them & show kindness even if it's not fully appreciated at the time. They should keep their words of wisdom to themselves!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poddy View Post
    I must admit I was one of those people saying things like, "why don't you try to look on the bright side of things" or "just be positive" or "chill out mate, look at what you'd be missing out on".
    That was until my life was touched by people with this shitty condition.
    5 days straight on suicide watch was enough for me to work out words mean nothing to these guys. Their goal is no different to another persons goal of driving to the shopping centre to do their weeks groceries. It's a planned event in most cases. And when someone spoils this event they are the hated & despised ones. It's not a nice situation for anyone involved.

You would think a trained medical professional would know what to do with someone who's just attempted to kill themselves.
    Unfortunately this person isn't thinking the most wonderful things about life.
    The only positive thing they can think of is how wonderful it will be to be dead.
    All a GP should be doing is to make them safe, listen to them & show kindness even if it's not fully appreciated at the time. They should keep their words of wisdom to themselves!
    Great understanding post!!! especially coming from someone who is not a sufferer themselves but seeing the sheer desperation of a real life situation many live with on a daily basis.

Just a bit of advice for anyone who comes across someone suffering a depressive illness , if you tell them to cheer up , chill out , relax or anything similar it as much an insult as saying you don't give a stuff and cant be bothered with them., you would do just as well handing them a rope.

While Suicide is the most severe and final decision for some sufferers there are many more out there that live ( if you can call it live ) just on the edge of this torture most of the time , not living for themselves but because they know full well the impact suicide will have on their family and friends.
    My neighbor also a sufferer of severe depression 11 months ago decided to hang himself off the back patio before going to work , he had breakfast , his normal coffee , grabbed his keys and phone and headed out the door as normal , in a moment he decided and carried through hanging himself with as much thought as grabbing the newspaper out of the letter box., He was found by his 9 yo son 40 minutes later.
    I had known this guy for 16 years and he often shared that he would do anything just for 5 minutes of not feeling this way anymore ,he was angry with himself for having a son because he lived with the guilt of knowing he didn't want to be here anymore , he had spent years looking for the right help and only ever found band aids.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Hey joey,

i remember the post you made on the old forum before the big crash of '07 . At the time i thought it was one of the bravest posts i have ever read, and i still do. I have only met you a couple of times before, and had a few 'conversations' on the net, but i honestly wouldn't have known you suffered from depression at all.

A big, ugly, hairy bastard like me, may appear to be a tad insensitive on the outside, but I do have a soft/caring/touchy-feely partition somewhere.....

I don't pretend to know anything about depression, or any other form of mental illness, but what i can honestly say is: the best thing you can do (to help us non-sufferers understand and possibly help you) is to talk to us about it.

We may not be able to help at all, and may even make you feel worse, but at least you won't be on your own....

And joey,

if you ever need someone to talk to, you have my number.....

hoe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Hey joey,

i remember the post you made on the old forum before the big crash of '07 . At the time i thought it was one of the bravest posts i have ever read, and i still do. I have only met you a couple of times before, and had a few 'conversations' on the net, but i honestly wouldn't have known you suffered from depression at all.

A big, ugly, hairy bastard like me, may appear to be a tad insensitive on the outside, but I do have a soft/caring/touchy-feely partition somewhere.....

I don't pretend to know anything about depression, or any other form of mental illness, but what i can honestly say is: the best thing you can do (to help us non-sufferers understand and possibly help you) is to talk to us about it.

We may not be able to help at all, and may even make you feel worse, but at least you won't be on your own....

And joey,

if you ever need someone to talk to, you have my number.....

hoe
    Wow that means a real lot Hoe , really appreciate it more than you could imagine mate, Thank you.

A few people know how severely I suffer but to most I am like a lot of people that live like this , we are experts at hiding it and appearing to the world that we are happy go lucky without a care in the world.
    A real misconception about Depression is that we are sad and spent a lot of time being miserable but this is rarely the case for a lot of us.
    Most of sadness is reflected inwards so as not to burden others.

I have spoken to quite a few serious sufferers lately and apart from helping ourselves we all want to make it known how difficult it is to find real help especially at the times when logical thinking is clouded by desperation.
    It's truly is a scary place to be in these times , it's relentless , unpredictable and spontaneous , it's totally and utterly self consuming.

One of the best things I have ever done is tell people I suffer, it has been met with totally positive responses even by people who dont understand it, Actually before I was first hit with this condition I didnt even believe it existed, I thought I was invincible !! Reality sure can bite!

Sure hope this is helping others to understand more.

Thanks

After trying to commit suicide twice and a stint in a "health" facility the only way my hubby would get help was from our gp...not a shrink.
    Our doctor has been our doctor for over 18 years...she knows my family inside out and my husband trust her 100%.
    Thats not to say help from wasnt there for him via the mental health facility..it was..he just wasnt comfortable using this service.
    Not to say it isnt an on going battle...it is...he knows if he goes belly up again I will call the C A T team in...not our gp...
    Depression is a horrible thing...and we need more services and a lot more beds..my hubby was restrained in casualty for over 24 hours while waiting for a bed...the doctors said there just isnt enough to go round...hence so many on the streets who really need desperate help.
    I think its time we had dedicated mental hospitals like they do in America...
    At least then people who suffer may...may...get a chance of some help.

I don't pretend to know anything about depression, or any other form of mental illness, but what i can honestly say is: the best thing you can do (to help us non-sufferers understand and possibly help you) is to talk to us about it
    And thanks hoe..very well said

The more people talk about depression the more people will understand...and that in itself will take some of the stigma off the backs of those who do suffer from it...its time we showed understanding and compassion...and the only way to do this is get it out in the open instead of being hushed up and whispered about ...it doesnt and wont help anyone.

Thanks

I was up hostipal with my son other night in emergency room .. while waiting for them to deal with my son ... Cops dropped off this young bloke .. and heard wot he was tellign the nurse that he tryed to kill himself the cops just drop him off at door ... wouldn't it be right thing for cops to wait to see if he was taking care of ?
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    After trying to commit suicide twice and a stint in a "health" facility the only way my hubby would get help was from our gp...not a shrink.
    Our doctor has been our doctor for over 18 years...she knows my family inside out and my husband trust her 100%.
    Thats not to say help from wasnt there for him via the mental health facility..it was..he just wasnt comfortable using this service.
    Terrific your hubby can find someone to deal with one on one & feel comfortable. Isn't always a medical person either. Just someone who listens to them & understands them.
    It's the hardest thing to find someone their comfortable with & that remains a stable lifeline for them.
    Out here in regional NSW they call in Psych's from major towns & it could be a different person every few months. It means the same questions have to be answered over & over again. To rehash all your problems every few months is a nightmare for a depressed person. Might even add to their condition & cause another "event".
    Unfortunately the Psych's(shrinks) are important to get medication, their not always the best person to talk to for understanding.

Thanks

.......While Suicide is the most severe and final decision for some sufferers there are many more out there that live ( if you can call it live ) just on the edge of this torture most of the time , not living for themselves but because they know full well the impact suicide will have on their family and friends.....
    Spot on there Joey.
    Exactly how this person I know lives their life.

Thanks

The biggest problem I find is trying to explain to someone who doesnt know, that depression is not feeling sad, not feeling defenseless, not feeling useless, it is a much more than that, which is almost impossible to explain with words. As has been said in the thread already, saying to someone with depression to "relax" or "dont worry about it" doesn't help, you might as well say bugger off I don't believe you.

It really is such a shame that in this day and age where they can replace so many human organs, something such as depression is still such a mystery to so many and in many cases it is thought that by ignoring it, it will go away, or is swept under the carpet. Lately I have been hearing so many adverts on local radio about mental health and being able to assist your fellow workers in the case that they may need it, but knowing how many with depression keep things so closely guarded that most who deal with them know nothing about their condition, how are these so called classes going to help. Once someone has made the decision in a moment to take their own life, it is too late.

Lets get some focus put onto this condition and get the medical professionals to actually provide information and assistance to those who really need it when they really need it, which is now!

cwispy
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    I was up hostipal with my son other night in emergency room .. while waiting for them to deal with my son ... Cops dropped off this young bloke .. and heard wot he was tellign the nurse that he tryed to kill himself the cops just drop him off at door ... wouldn't it be right thing for cops to wait to see if he was taking care of ?
    what makes it even worse is that the Police can and do charge them too, I find this a bit rough considering the hard times they are facing.

Depression really sucks guys! Funding should be available for the likes of beyond blue as they do a great job.

Thanks

At least they are trying to do something, if there missing the mark then that should be addressed as another issue.
    I've been getting some counselling due to some issues at work and one of the bits of information that was covered was depression, I'm definately not happy about what's going on but suicidal I aren't. The question that startled me was; Have you ever made a plan to commit suicide?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redwight View Post
    The question that startled me was; Have you ever made a plan to commit suicide?
    Imagine having to answer that and all the other questions over and over again everytime you spoke to a health care professional because you never get to see the same person twice in a row, or even not getting asked that question because its too late and you have already taken the step and committed suicide. That is the sad reality. Its great that you are getting some help for whatever your issues may be and hopefully its helping, but there are too many out there in the world who are not getting the help they need, or in a lot of cases, the correct help.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast