Hello Guys,

I am doing a thesis project which includes customization of the software inside the STB chipset, the firmware. It will be sort of a "satellite radio", with almost the basic functionality of an STB, but no video displaying or IR interface, only sound as the output. The final proposal will be the cheapest solution for a prototype with simplified circuit and the customized firmware for the chipset.

Since it's being very hard to buy customized boards with a DVB-S tuner and a STB chipset, I was thinking of buying a simple Set-top Box with some serial/usb interface that actually supports "upgrades".

I wonder if you guys can give me suggestions of which one to buy and where I could find some support to program the chipset/board.

They need to be the simplest possible.
I found this one (MicroBox), that has a serial interface to upgrade the software. The only problem is that they won't give me any support for me to customize the chipset.

Any inputs will be great.
By the end of the project I will post the results for you guys.
Thank you.
Marcel

PS.: For you to have an idea of what I would need exactly (the 2nd or 3rd boards) is in the link below. I would just replace the DVB-T tuner with a DVB-S tuner and customize the firmware inside. But they won't sell it to me =(.