Thread: Oil Leak Mayby?

Thanks

Default Oil Leak Mayby?

Hi all ah i htink i got a oil leak, i noticed a few drops of oil on the driveway and i noticed its right under where the oil pan is that black plastc thingy, i ran my finger around the edge of the oil pan and like just put my hand under the car and i got some oil on my fingertips any ideas?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Maybe you should ask your motor mechcanic.

Tagg

Thanks

Hi Fto king.
    Yeah many things can leak oil.
    Im thinking the black plastic thingy you mentioned is the splash/stone guard right under the engine.

What i would do;
    Remove the splash/stone guard, it should be only a few screws holding it under the car.
    Go to car lovers and wash your engine bay properly, also under the car so you can trace it. Try not to get too much splashed on you ignition leads and plugs because your going to have a nice miss fire till it dries.
    When you get home, put the car up on stands or ramps and take a look underneath. Follow the drip line to the leak.
    If you cant see anything wipe it a little more with a rag while your under there and drive for a few days (it may be a slow leak).
    Its ok to leave the splash guard off during this time.
    After a few days take another look.

Some notes, take a look at the color of the dripping oil on your finger. Motor oil and transmission/powersteering oils are diffrent colors.

Where could it be leaking from?
    Oil redish color?
    power steering pump, rack and pinion, power steering hoses, auto trannie.

Oil a yellow to black and same as dipstick oil?
    From top....
    First look around the cam cover to head point.
    Check your dipsticks in (dont laugh it does happen)

From under.....
    Check your oil filter where is seals to the block.
    Check your oil pressure sender. Its a sensor on the block with a wire running off it. A very common missed oil leak point.
    Check your oil sump gasket.
    Check your oil sump plug.
    Check you front oil seal (where your harmonic balancer and belts are)

Basicly get under the car with a good extension light and follow the oil, remembering that it runs down and backwards as your driving.

Thanks

nuh the oil is defnitly motor oil it smells like mobil 1 lol no i dont chrome.....

the black thing i was refering to is the oil sump so icant really take it off as all the oil will fall on me lol, i have a feeling its the sump plug/washer or the sump gasket, but im unsure, is it a good sign that the couple of drops are all from directly under the oil sump?

FTO King

P.S. global88 do you know any mechanics that wont rip me off just beacuse "its a import".

Thanks

If i knew any one that wouldnt rip me off, i wouldnt be fixing my own cars.

Why dont you put the car a little up, get under there and take a look?

At least if you could find the leak point , post a pic, we could tell you what your looking at and what to tell a mechanic when ringing for quotes.

If you walk into a mechanics with no idea he can tell you whatever he likes, how would you know better?

The best mechanics around your area are....wait for it.....Preston Mitsubishi.
    They use to service one of my company Magnas and they did the best job compared to all the others around that area at the time.
    Im thinking of taking my Toyota Camry to them instead of the toyota dealer over the road

Thanks

yeh mechaanics are rippoffs, WHAT PRESTON MITSUBISHI wont they charge me my right arm left leg and my testical jsut to change the oil lol?or do they have decent prices lol?? yeah ok ill put the car up tomorroww give ita clean adn takea cpic or two thanks global88

Thanks

How many klms has it done?

it may be just a sump gasket.

But it might be a rear oil seal.

If it's a local made car dont worry, just ignore it, they all leak

Thanks

They use to charge the company i work for $110 to 130 for a basic service, $200 to $300 for a major one.

Sure i could find alot cheaper, but boy did they do a full book service.

I use to enjoy opening the bonnet to find all the water levels adjusted with the correct fluids, corrosion inhibiter in the overflow bottle, bugoff in the window washer bottle and a CLEAN engine bay. You could feel the diffrence when you picked up the car, even the handbrake was adjusted perfectly on every service.

Sure you pay for it all, but when paying you want the job done properly.

The Toyota dealer over the road on the other hand is a joke.
    The oil and filter is changed and thats about it.
    Once i took it in for a regular 10k service, picked it up, 6 days later the front pads were metal to metal.
    Rang them, gave them both barrels and was told to bring it in the following Monday.
    When i started on the head technician that he let my car through in an unroadworthy condition, his reply was that the pads only need to be 1mm thick to be roadworthy.
    My reply to him was that if my company car is serviced by them alone and they know that i come in every 10000km, then did it have enough pad material left to survive 10000km?
    They fixed it at their cost, new front disks and pads.
    They probably claimed it under Toyotas warranty.

Get under your car with a torch and take a good look around, take some pics, it maybe something small, then again it could be something major.
    Hopefuly its a sump plug, oil filter or oil sensor problem, nice, easy and cheap to fix.

Pray its not your sump or rear oil seal.
    Front seal, not so bad.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Wash the engine down with degreaser. Make sure it is clean from top to bottom. Probably cost you $18 for 5lts of the best shit. After it clean regularly check the engine around all the seals. 9/10 you will be able to isolate the location of the leak, once you've done that then we'll be able to assist you further.