Thread: Electric fence instructions, a query please

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Electric fence instructions, a query please

I recently aquired a Solar powered 6V electric fence energiser and I emailed the maker and received a copy of the instructions.
    I used a mains/battery operated fence unit before to coral dogs who seemed to out do Houdini in escaping from their yards.
    It didnt take the dogs long to realise that if they touched that wire, it stung them and Home wasnt so bad after all.
    I am going to pass this one on to a friend who has Bantam chooks to help deter the local Fox population dining on his chooks.
    I was reading the instructions and I was surprised to read that it instucted; "For Fences intended for deterring Birds from roosting on buildings, No electric fence wire shall be connected to an Earth Electrode".
    For a start I didnt think Birds were effected by an electric fence even unearthed, so does this mean they can 'feel' the pulse' and it would stop them from roosting?
    I do understand for Humans why you dont Earth out the unit because if you were on a roof or building and you touched the 'HOT' wire/mesh etc and got the full Zap say up drainpipes etc, it could cause you to fall.
    And as they say, its not the Fall that hurts, its the sudden stop at the bottom.
    I too have grabbed a 'HOT' fence while standing on very muddy ground and learnt very quickly how well they 'BITE!'
    This unit has an Input of 6.35V, input current of 18mA on High, 12mA on Low
    An output of 6.7kV on High, 5.3kV on low (nominal)
    Stored enegy 0.09 joules
    I must say I wasnt aware of some of the warnings needed to place an electric fence in operation. At first reading some of it seemed a bit much but after rereading and THINKING about the instructions, they are simple and straight forward, designed with maximum safety in mind.

So any info on the part about the birds would be interesting to know and for my friend when he puts it up for the chooks.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink AVISHOCK Electric bird deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I recently aquired a Solar powered 6V electric fence energiser and I emailed the maker and received a copy of the instructions.
    I used a mains/battery operated fence unit before to coral dogs who seemed to out do Houdini in escaping from their yards.
    It didnt take the dogs long to realise that if they touched that wire, it stung them and Home wasnt so bad after all.
    I am going to pass this one on to a friend who has Bantam chooks to help deter the local Fox population dining on his chooks.
    I was reading the instructions and I was surprised to read that it instucted; "For Fences intended for deterring Birds from roosting on buildings, No electric fence wire shall be connected to an Earth Electrode".
    For a start I didnt think Birds were effected by an electric fence even unearthed, so does this mean they can 'feel' the pulse' and it would stop them from roosting?
    I do understand for Humans why you dont Earth out the unit because if you were on a roof or building and you touched the 'HOT' wire/mesh etc and got the full Zap say up drainpipes etc, it could cause you to fall.
    And as they say, its not the Fall that hurts, its the sudden stop at the bottom.
    I too have grabbed a 'HOT' fence while standing on very muddy ground and learnt very quickly how well they 'BITE!'
    This unit has an Input of 6.35V, input current of 18mA on High, 12mA on Low
    An output of 6.7kV on High, 5.3kV on low (nominal)
    Stored enegy 0.09 joules
    I must say I wasnt aware of some of the warnings needed to place an electric fence in operation. At first reading some of it seemed a bit much but after rereading and THINKING about the instructions, they are simple and straight forward, designed with maximum safety in mind.

So any info on the part about the birds would be interesting to know and for my friend when he puts it up for the chooks.
    As near as I can ascertain, the tracks are dual and contact made across both tracks.
    Perhaps this will be of interest and clarify:

Thanks

i have 9 bantams here and they are great, they always return to the chookhouse in the evening.
    to keep the foxes out I put up a 6 foot steel star picket fence with double height netting and electric fence tape top and bottom (on the outside).
    access is via a steel mesh gate hung on one of the posts. put birdwire netting at the bottom of the gate to keep the little chicks inside. the corners of the chook run are red box wood posts.
    its about twice the size of a double garage and has some bushes inside the pen etc.
    the chookhouse itself is made from corrugated iron and tree branches for the perches set up inside.
    the electric fence setup is really effective. orange hot tape is run around the outside of the entire perimeter both top and bottom of the netting fence.
    start by working out where to mount the solar panel for best sun, then mount the energiser box nearby.
    to keep foxes and cats out of the pen run your hot tape about 8 inches above the ground and 5 inches out from the netting using insulating standoffs. do the same at the top of the fence netting.
    You will hear if a fox comes in and tries to climb the fence , when they get a hit off the hot tape they scream !
    one fox even bit through the hot tape before running away very sore.
    the top run of hot tape is very good for goannas too , they can get above the lower run of hot tape and climb the netting but as they touch the top run of hot tape with their tongue they sure run away really fast!

make sure you connect the earth side of the energiser to the netting and the positive side to your hot tape
    i can post up a pic if you like
    cheers
    Last edited by Bluedog; 20-08-09 at 09:43 PM.
    member. Austech dog squad: if it can be fixed the dogs will sniff it out

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Electric fences often cause problems with digital TV reception (especially with weak signals to begin with).... yours isn't affected, Gordon?

Thanks

it shouldnt be a problem unless the tv antenna is aimed over the top of the pen, ours is only activated at night anyway and it doesnt affect the tv or amateur radio gear. sure keeps the foxes out though !
    member. Austech dog squad: if it can be fixed the dogs will sniff it out