Thread: Website Security

Thanks

Default Website Security

I am in the process of setting up a website and was wondering what the best security solution is. I tried google but it didnt come up with much. I have been reading some stories about people who have had their site hacked and now I`m getting all paranoid. Hey, but just because I`m paranoid doesn`t mean that they aren`t out to get me.
    "I dont care who your old man is. Dont walk on the water while I`m fishin`". Peter The Apostle

Look Here ->
    Thanks

What language is the website written in? If its plain html then there is little change of your site getting defaced, which is the most common type of hack referred to out there. However if your site is written in php, asp, perl or python, to name a few, then there is always the chance that some sort of exploit will allow someone to take control or even overwrite your pages with some sort of defacement or even use your website to share illegal data which you then end up paying for as it came from your hosting.

Give me a bit more detail about what your doing and I may be able to give some more specific advice regarding your concern.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

Thanks cwispy its a php based forum. It is a support forum for parents who have suffered the death of a child. The last thing I want is for someone going though that to have their email address lifted off the site and bombed with spam or their personal details misused in any way. What they are going through is pretty hard to deal with and little things like that can sometimes have pretty devestating effects.
    "I dont care who your old man is. Dont walk on the water while I`m fishin`". Peter The Apostle

Thanks

There are a few simple rules to follow when it comes to forums in particular as they are generally greater targets than traditional websites due to the number of users who congregate at the site, for lack of a better term.

* Always keep up with any security patches or release updates

* Always secure the admin section of the forum, by renaming the admin section or using apache htaccess, ip security or something similar to restrict unauthorised users from being able to get in via a security hole etc

* Where possible turn off or restrict access to addon modules, or at the very least limit it to trusted users

* Be very careful when installing unknown addon modules from authors who are not the authors of the forum

There are other things to consider too, but those above should be a pretty good starting point for you. I would also suggest reading the forums or mailing list for the forum software itself as they will usually have some specific tips as well.

Good luck with the forum and feel free to contact me if you need to know more details or have more questions.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwispy For This Useful Post:

niftyned (22-08-09),oyama (22-08-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by niftyned View Post
    Thanks cwispy its a php based forum. It is a support forum for parents who have suffered the death of a child. The last thing I want is for someone going though that to have their email address lifted off the site and bombed with spam or their personal details misused in any way. What they are going through is pretty hard to deal with and little things like that can sometimes have pretty devestating effects.
    can i have a link
    id like to join
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

Phil I sent a pm with the address of the site.Cheers.