Thread: Two tuners and a splitter

Thanks

Default Two tuners and a splitter

I have two TV cards in my computer, both are using DVB-T (a Hauppauge HVR3000 and HVR1300).

I have split the signal using a Hills two way splitter, with one of the outputs being the power pass. The power pass output goes to my preferred tuner, the other output to the other tuner.

I have noticed a problem and am not sure what (if anything) I can do about it. In theory I understand I should be able to record off two different transponders at the same time.

However, when I try and tune in the second tuner, it will only tune one of the three transponders. I have tested this in both GB-PVR and DVB-Viewer, and seem to get the same results.

Is this a setup or software problem? What can I do to get it right?

TIA

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

see if I am following your setup correctly.
    You have one TV antenna, cable to a splitter then each leg goes to a seperate TV card in the ONE computer??
    And you are trying to record to your HDD from BOTH cards at the same time??
    When you say 'Transponders' do you mean 2 seperate channels at the same time, Like NZ1 and Prime for instance?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Likewise, I'm having a little difficulty trying to figure out what you are doing, as the post is in the terrestrial digital TV forum, but you are talking about transponders, which is a satellite term.

If it's satellite, yes you can split a signal, but you can only use the same polarity for both, which is controlled by voltage, nominally 13VDC for vertical and 18VDC for horizontal transponders.

If you are using a splitter with only power pass on one leg, the tuner that is connected to that leg will be the only tuner that has any control over the polarity switching, with the second tuner being restricted to the polarity that has been selected by the other tuner on the power pass leg.

For independent control of the two tuners, you either need to install a dual LNB and separate cable to each tuner, or a dual LNB to a multiswitch, then a separate cable to each tuner.

Can you confirm if it's satellite or terrestrial reception you are talking about.

Thanks

sorry transponder may not be the right word, i'm used to satellite, so spoke in satellite speak. I did actually mean frequency/mux rather than transponder.

what i'm trying to do is get it so I can record from two different channels, each on different muxes. Eg Prime on Ch59 and TV One on Ch48.

I actually ended up taking the splitter off this afternoon, I found the quality of the recordings had dropped below what I deem acceptable (too many errors). Still keen to try and get it working though.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allstarnz View Post
    sorry transponder may not be the right word, i'm used to satellite, so spoke in satellite speak. I did actually mean frequency/mux rather than transponder.

what i'm trying to do is get it so I can record from two different channels, each on different muxes. Eg Prime on Ch59 and TV One on Ch48.

I actually ended up taking the splitter off this afternoon, I found the quality of the recordings had dropped below what I deem acceptable (too many errors). Still keen to try and get it working though.
    Ok, now we have that straight, the power pass on the splitter will have no effect. What is most likely happening is that your signal level/quality is too low to begin with and splitting it in half is obviously making it worse.

One tuner is probably coping with the poor signal better than the other.

If it all works ok without using the splitter (which should be an F type btw) then a powered 2-way splitter might do the job ok. eg:

With digital, an amplifier of any kind will not correct errors, just signal level and noise level, so the key to reliable digital reception is having the correct antenna and mounting it in the best position, eg: the 'sweet-spot' that captures the strongest signals, with the lowest BER and highest MER.

More info will help..... your location, where you are receiving TV signals from, what antenna you are using and where it's mounted, etc. The more info the better.

Thanks

ok, thanks MTV, I think that answers my question.

I think you might be right about the signal being a little low, the antenna is already split off 3 ways even without splitting my signal to my two cards.