Thread: Some help with Wii & DS for an old fart with no idea

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

Default Some help with Wii & DS for an old fart with no idea

As the title says, I have no idea about this stuff, but my kids are putting the pressure on big time. I want to mod their Wii and two Nintendo DS consoles so they stop complaining that I need to buy them more games every day 'cos they're bored. I tried googling but just ende3d up even more confused by all the options.

Anyone wanna take pity on me and tell me the best way to mod these two consoles?

cheers
    donb

Look Here ->
    Thanks

ok i will Don! havent done the wii yet but will help you with the ds so you can get the kids off ya back for a bit.(know how it feels). you need a slot 1 flash card, either m3, r4, or acekard2 and a micro sd card to store the info on for the ds, games etc. once you got both cards go to the website of the card and download the firmware to the root of the card then make a few folders. games music and movie's, also on their website should be a link to "moonshell", dowload it aswell as it plays the music and movie's. all of these on the root directory of the micro sd card. then download ds roms from anywhere you want,
    games should be .nds file, movie's .dpg and music mp3.

think some1 on here got r4 for $10, will find a link.

and i got my wii softmoded so think this is the best way to go.
    check this thread out

good luck.
    Stop being so stupid.. it’s my turn!!

Thanks

For the Nintendo DS, you just need one of the carts such as DSTT, (this is what I use but everyone has their own preferences , R4 and a micro SDHC Memory card. A good size is 4Gb. Then all you need is the correct file and the Roms. (I can help you out with the Roms ) Cwispy and other locals sell these on their web sites.

The original ndstt comes in two flavours, the original and the clones. I upgraded to the originals ndstt carts and run 4Gb cards.

I haven't touched the Wii's so can't answer Don.

No doubt you will get a lot of help on these subjects here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ageno2gen1 View Post
    think some1 on here got r4 for $10, will find a link.

good luck.
    Cbb is Don's favourite salesmen

R4 is fairly old and does not support more than 2GB of memory, you will also have problems with some homebrew requiring patching to work. I cleared out a lot of them recently very cheaply.

If your on a tight budget take a look at NDSTT, if you can extend that a bit go for the Acekard. If your feeling really generous towards your kids go the M3 or Cyclo. Acekard in my opinon is better built and has a much more user friendly firmware.

Wii Modding, many people on austech prefer the softmod, and if you read some guides its quite easy to do. Softmod is basically install pieces of software on your console which emulates the functionality of a chip. However these softmods are effected by nintendos software updates and newer tittle releases (ie wii sports resort), and some games will not work and require patching or messing around. If you like tinkering and happy to have a play around whenever it stops working and got the technical know how it is a good solution and cheap as well.

But if you want something reliable and that will work no matter what update or what game your trying to boot you cannot go past a actual chip.

(Just dont get sucked into paying someone $50 to "Softmod" your wii as it can be done yourself with a little bit of patience and reading).

If you've got any specific questions post em up, makes answering alot easier

Thanks

I cant recommend the Acekard 2 enough. Using AKAIO (3rd party firmware) makes it feature rich as any high costing card. For $10 USD @ DX it cant be beaten.

Thanks

Hey Don

the wii isnt hard to do (once you have done it) - fkn confusing getting to that point........ so - first thing is to do is to work out what software version you have then go from there

so V3.1, V3.6e or V4

the difference to the versions makes a difference to what you need to do

tell us what you have and the rest will follow - oh you need to purchase a 2.5 USB powered HD and I suggest a 2g SD card (2g not not really required but that will do)

f
    Last edited by freakee1; 04-09-09 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

Thanks everyone who replied. I've been away a coupla days so I haven't had a chance to absorb all this info so far but I'll get on it once my combined jet lag/hangover subsides a little....