Thread: Dreambox arrived - more questions

Thanks

Default Dreambox arrived - more questions

Hi,

My Dreambox DM500s arrived yesterday and I spent the better part of last night trying to set it up.

It has Gemini 4.2 and a heap of Cams - I ended up using CCCam 2.0.5 and 2.0.7 and both worked with my F@xT@l sub card.

I tried to used toor's easy set-up guide, but the LNB values didn't work and I ended finding other values to use (I think I ended up using 11700 for all 3 fields in the LNB setup screen). Also, the satellites.xml didn't download, so I tracked down a file with Opt@s C1 details from this forum (thanks!) and installed manually.

Now I have the Dreambox basically emulating my Pace box.

A few questions -

The EPG only shows the current and next program when I list it using the EPG button on the remote. How can I make it show the rest for the day?

The OSD is cut off on one end - ie, it's too wide for my 4:3 TV (yes, I know I should get with the times, but I really got this Dreambox to learn and TV watching was secondary ). Is there a skin that someone can recommend that is more 4:3 friendly?

Now, for an ethically challenging question, is there a way that my sub card can be emulated (a sub card image?) so I don't need to plug it in? I would like to keep it in the Pace box, and use the Dreambox on another outlet without plugging in the card.

Alternatively, I also pickup A@s@ar channels. Is there a way to see these as well?

I'd like to also thank this forum all the tips and information that I have been able to get and find - without which, I wouldn't have been able to get where I am in such a short amount of time.

Thanks,

bloggs

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Thats all you'll get for the epg
    OSD can be changed in A/V settings
    Sub Card Emulation (yeah right) short answer is no, long answer, start reading CSing
    Whats the diff between Austar and Fox? Same stuff matey

Thanks

Musing over my own questions and replying to oceanboy at the same time -

EPG:
    I found some PC utilities which I may be able to utilise with the Dreambox to get a better EPG.

OSD:
    I played around with the A/V settings, but there wasn't an option to change the OSD width that I saw. I have the TV type set to 4:3. I might play around with skins to get an OSD that fits and is not too small to read.

Card Emulation:
    Yes, I thought it was asking for too much! I've started reading up on CSing, but from what I understand, I need another Dreambox and have them networked (my wife is already stressing about the extra wiring a single Dreambox has created). I hoped there would be a neater, easier way.

Providers:
    I thought I read that A@s@ar use a different encryption method, and that if you had the correct key files, you could get stuff for free I may be mistaken here as well.

I'll keep plugging away

bloggs

Premium Member
    Thanks

I meant, whats offered on Austar is the same as whats offered on Fox.

But as you own a Fox sub, you'll watching Fox right?

Thanks

bloggs mate
    if you got the missus stressin over cables - thats a good thing - means she givin you a rest on all the other crap - my missus reckons Im holdin up the house with all the extra wires. Once I convinced the missus that the dreambox was my new hobby - it was all ok to how much time I spend on "configuration"

Seriously though - on the rest of it you are heading in the right diirections keep reading and learning and playing.
    EPG - some images provide different tools - some require pc (EPGcentre conversion) - some can be done on dream alone - pli images and epg plugin
    OSD - change skins - none of mine have that problem
    Card emulation - if you have broadband and a "friend" there are all sort of possibilities
    Providers - the only stuff I hear that works that way in oz is Austar see cccam autroll.keys and softcam.keys
    cheers

Thanks

EPG is a mission. Been playing around with it for ages and got a half decent solution thanks to many on this forum (pointing at you nfnovice).

Check out PLI - SQLITE EPG - oztivo scripts thread. I guess you'll need Pli Iolite.

I had it working with EPG Center too but I liked the idea of eliminating it from the equation cause you gotta buy it after opening it 30 times....

If the wiring is ugly go wireless, you add another variable though into the mix.

Austar is Irdeto2 and Fox uses NDS encryption. Sellers know the Austar special codes and get away with programming gamma cards and then do cart wheels all the way to the bank.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nfnovice View Post
    Providers - the only stuff I hear that works that way in oz is Austar see cccam autroll.keys and softcam.keys
    cheers
    I think nfnovice means aurora not austar, so don't get too excited!

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I have already found the thread here on PLi, SQlite and oztivo - I will give it a try once I get a null modem cable for the image change.

I'll play around with some skins to change my OSD.

I could just shell out for another F@xt@l box and card for the other outlet, instead of trying to use the Dreambox to give me something for free - but where is the fun in that .

With CSing, if you are at the client end - i.e. the one without the card or the "Sharee", is the video streamed to you via the internet from the Server side (from the "Sharer"), or is just the Server card details sent to you, enabling your box - with the video still coming from your end?

bloggs

Premium Member
    Thanks

7 Meg streaming.... There goes standard BigPond account.

Thanks

Its only the cards details sent over the net when cs'ing. The client will need a dish to get the stream.

Thanks

common misunderstanding with cs...everyone thinks they need broader broadband when I explain it.

Thats where the "card emulation" happens because your clients dreambox collects the codes over the internet from the server, where ever that may be.

Anyone know the monthly download a DM which is left on consistantly on would tally up? I'd say rough guess about 10MB???

Thanks

OK, That's good then. I thought it would blow my broadband if it actually streamed the video.

I'll look a bit more into it - for educational reasonsof course.

bloggs