Thread: ABC not working

Thanks

Default ABC not working

I have a legit aurora card in a topfield tf3000c pro box, my imparja and channel 7 are working but when i went to watch ABC it is know coming up scrambled i have had the differnet ABC's going like ABC qld etc but know these seem to have been cut from my viewing any information on this would be much appreciated on whether i can get the ABC goign or not

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

The story is along the lines of there is a court order in place to stop the abc's in their respective time zones being viewed by people in the other time zones. I don't know the exact details but I'm sure someone will enlighten us!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

its on the TUNE channel (1) of Optus Aurora. no other details other than what Leroy says.
    It surely cant be a news article because SBS is OK so it must be a specific ABC program they want to block.
    Wonder where you could find what the order says?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

The Optus Line-up channel, INFO 156 E, confirms what LeroyPatrol has posted.

Law Courts sometimes issue so-called “suppression” or “non-publication” orders. The purpose is to prevent publication in the media, of certain details, which the court considers to be in some way prejudicial, to the particular matter before the Court. (e.g. the naming of defendants in preliminary hearings of court cases, identification of certain witnesses (witness anonymity/protection), influence of jurors and other similar matters pertaining to evidence etc.)

In the past, this was an effective measure, but as satellite television is no respecter of State borders, the only way in which these orders can be enforced, is to encrypt transmissions and so limit the availability of such information, to areas other than the State in which the suppression order applies.

My understanding is that this is the original and primary reason for encryption of the R.A.B.S. (Rural Australia Broadcast Service) transmissions provided by Optus (Aurora).

For a short explanation regarding suppression orders, see the EVIDENCE ACT 1929 - SECT 68 (South Australia) and more extensively