61 95.31%
  • No

3 4.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This lady just wants to die.

Thanks

Default This lady just wants to die.

Do you support euthanasia ????

A FRENCH woman badly disfigured by facial tumours caused by a rare and incurable disease has appealed to President Nicolas Sarkozy to allow her to die by euthanasia.

In an interview with the Agence France-Presse news agency, former school teacher Chantale Sebire, 52, begged for the right to end the "atrocious" suffering inflicted on her by the disease which has rendered her face unrecognisable because of growing tumours.

"An animal would not be allowed to endure what I have to endure," she said from her home in Plombieres-les-Dijon in central France, asking French media and Mr Sarkozy to allow her a dignified death.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I do support it, and because I do support it, I don't agree with it being legalized. So don't know which way to vote.

Thanks

only if its voluntary, would be a bit rough if the decision was taken out of your hands.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diggler View Post
    only if its voluntary, would be a bit rough if the decision was taken out of your hands.
    Exactly diggler, thats were the problem comes in, when is the decision made and by whom.
    I do support it, but there would have to be extreme guidelines before ending a life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shagga66 View Post
    there would have to be extreme guidelines before ending a life.
    Funnily enough, that's where my problem is. What are the guidelines going to be. You would assume: terminal incurable illness, insufferable pain.

Take your French lady example. The facial tumors may not be terminal, pain is a relevant immeasurable thing, some feel pain more than others.

So she doesn't pass the criteria and can't opt out unless she does it herself. But her quality of life might be just as bad as someone who can tick both boxes. Better to leave the decision between the doctor, patient and family and keep the bureaucrats out of it IMO.

Thanks

Yes? no? Poll.
    Its not that easy.
    I would say yes but under conditions.
    So I cant vote. Needs more options.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

A yes vote from me.

One of my grandfathers died from cancer which started as prostate and he ended up having every type of cancer its possible to have.

He was in chronic pain that it is against the law to let happen to an animal. Eventually when he went to hospital for the last time he was told " you are going to have a massive heart attack in the next 24 hours , do you want to be revived ? ". He declined the offer , said his goodbyes and accepted death which happened as they said it would.

The point of this case though is that he had terminal cancer.....he didnt have a chance as his body was riddled with it. Should he have been given the choice to organise his affairs and organise his goodbyes whilest he was capable and ended his own life avoiding 12 months of excruciating pain ? I visited him a number of times and he looked like death with his eyes totally sunken and blackend.....his only benefit was that he served his country in WW2 and was entitled to Gold Card benefits which means that he at least had excellent care.

But in cases like this , I really think the choice should be placed in the individuals hands......no one will let an animal suffer it but they will let a man who served his country suffer it ?

It doesnt seem right to me.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I'll concur with Sanity on this one; I’ve been in the exact same position 3 times.
    Both Grandparents and my Mother, not in that order either and all cancer. It's horrific to watch people with pride and honour, whom have served there towns and families well, rot away into a lifeless grey mass full of constant pain.

Fortunately all my family still had a well functioning brain and could make coherent conversation.

My Grandfather passed away the old fashioned way, chocking and drowning as his lungs filled with liquid. He had expressed to me a month earlier that this is no way to live, but I knew from the caliber of man he was, that euthanasia was not an option for him. He couldn't do it to us or his wife.

My Mother on the other hand, fought cancer on a couple of occasions, once when I was 14 (was only given months to live) and then again when she was 59. As Sanity said, when its terminal, and you have got to the point where you are just keeping them alive through each day and night, only for dawn to arrive and they are sicker and in more pain than the previous day.... you soon realise you are fighting a loosing battle. This is where it gets tricky, in my case my Mother had ask me on a number of occasions to take her life, to please make it stop, she used to actually get mad at me if she had woken up the next day. At this point, what are you meant to do? Apart from it being extremely distressing to hear your own mother asking for you to end her life. You have to stop and realise the situation.
    A. She is not getting any better and her days and nights are full of morphine, pain and being house bound.
    B. Are you just getting her up each day and getting the oxygen mask out just so you can put her on show for yourself and long lost friends to visit, whom have never visited in years anyway?
    Or
    C. Is she just requesting she have control over the situation and choose to die with dignity and in a time of her choosing?

It becomes a decision for them, not you, not anyone else.

I believe euthanasia has a place, I doubt it will be legalised anytime soon, but with a 300page book of clauses, it may be at one point. I believe in it when the time comes, the bigger question is, when is that time?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

This is a picture of this woman and what she is currently enduring.

Thanks

Far out, they should call that "ET Disease" She looks just like him
    Happy to be here......still

Thanks

Im a yes on this one.

Trust my luck to see that pic straight after dinner.

Thanks

Jesus! Someone buy her a bus ticket to Amsterdam.

Thanks

YES YES and YES again
    Let these people die with some dignity...not rotting away in some hospital/hospice in pain.
    I dont care what doctors etc tell you..."oh they arent in pain"...bullshit...my mother was doped to the eye balls and was still in agony...
    It was a relief when she passed(which happened right after I insisted they give her a "morphine" shot...yes...we all know what that shot does dont we...)...not for us but for her.

Thanks

If it's this bad...then yes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 974 Posts

I have a living will that states that if I am on life support and no chance of recovery then the plug is too be pulled.

I have told my wife that If I have another bout with cancer I will pull the plug on myself.

I believe that if you are aware of what is happening and know that you will not survive then you should have the right to euthanasia.

My thoughts.
    Some people need to get their finger out of their arse so that the brain can get some oxygen"

Thanks

I agree with Helen here.

Save up a few morphine doses and let rip when the doctor isn't looking.

Thats how I want to go to the great gig in the sky, Comfortably Numb....

If it were me, I'd want to be pain free for a short while and then drift away on a purple cloud of opiate pleasure, enough to ensure I never return!

Thanks

yes, of course - time to get Philip Nitschke back in from the cold ... not that he should ever have been out in the cold mind you. People need to have choice, my choice might not be yours but i should be able to have it if i want it. It's my life, not someone else's!

Thanks

yes I support it, just needs to be extenuating circumstances, like this poor woman.
    Mick

Thanks

Question

This issue always confuses me.
    On one hand we have a poor unfortunate soul who looks & feels like shit & we say "yes it's ok to kill yourself"
    What about the poor buggers who don't have the physical disabilities but go through mental turmoil each & every day & we say "no, you must live".
    In some instances this goes on for decades & the situation never improves. Surely we could let these people kill themselves too.
    Please someone explain the difference.
    Happy to be here......still

Thanks

Just to follow up the original report, this lady lost her court battle for the right to die.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast