Hi, I've got a big ass 12v AC garden transformer I'm considering using to power some assorted garden lighting, some LED, some not. Then I thought, wouldn't it be cool to also have sound and vision down by the pool. I've realised I'd probably need 240V AC to be fed from my switchboard to power an amplifier and maybe an LCD TV or something. It's going to cost me a bomb to do that because I've discovered I'd need to trench orange conduit in at a depth of 500mm from the house down to where I want 240V.
It occurred to me, if I'm running 12v AC around the place to run garden lighting, which is considered a much safer voltage obviously, what's to stop me from running a car sound system, perhaps even one that plays DVD's into a TV that's been designed for caravan use or something. I'd need to rectify the 12v AC into DC of course.
So, my questions: Can I just use a fairly simple circuit of a bridge rectifier, a capacitor and a bleed resistor or should I also have perhaps a voltage regulator after that circuit? What sort of current am I likely to be drawing from the 12v AC tx if I'm sort of estimating the car stereo might pull about 2-3A on the DC side?
I'm considering using a serially controlled multi channel relay switching device I already own (Dynalite), to allow me to switch the 12v AC to all the different loads I'll have around the pool so I'm also wondering if this is going to cause me problems with the tx output potentially changing as loads are added and subtracted?
Any comments gratefully received!