Thread: Average time required...

Thanks

Default Average time required...

Hi all took my car to the mechanic tomorrow its leaking wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, he said it looks liek its comign from the crankshaft seals???he said he can get after market parts and will charge 60bux a hour labour...good guy...but he said he wont know for sure until he rips off the timing belt cover.How long would a job like this take guys (in hours)?
    Also is it possible to drive your car with the timing belt cover off? Oh yea and how long on average does it take to change the rocker cover gasket?

is it worth having a stab at myself if it isnt the rocker cover gaskets and is coming form the timing belt area apparently yo need to get to the timing belt area which takes ages should i attempt to see where the leak is coming from? is it easy to take off the timing belt cover could i do it myself?

oh yea and when the mechanic has the rocker covers off would it take much longer to adjust the tappets?Oh yea while its off should i get the rear sparkies done and also the fuel filter dono if it was ever changed lol could that save fuel consuption?

thanks
    FTO King

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hi ya, front seal on a front wheel drive takes a little longer because of the lack of space.
    If your seals leaking, chances are your timming belt may be wet too so better to replace that at at the same time.
    Yes you can drive without the covers on. Might be a good idea to take them off yourself to save a few $.

Every 80 to100,000 km the belts are normally replaced. Are you far from your next major service, check your service book for more details.

Rocker cover gasket is easy to replace, valves shouldnt take long to adjust while the covers off if they are screw adjustable, not lash disk type. If they are lash disk type get ready for a shock on extra labour and parts.

Id say max 5 hours, more like 3 plus gaskets, seal, timming belt.

Max $500 if theirs no surprises or extra work along the way.
    Parts would have been $200 +300 labour.
    This is assumeing you have standard screw type valve adjustment.

Thanks

tappets are the screw type, thansk for oyur reply global88 hopefully its only the rocker cover gaskts save me some money.. do you know how to get off the timing belt cover on a 6A12 Mivec engine mate?

Thanks

If someone brought in a car that was half disassembled I would not be happy.

it's nickels and dimes savings, and could end up costing more.

Thanks

Never touched one in my life, but what i do is eyeball it, see how it all fits together and take it from there.

No diffrent to a mechanic working on a unknown car first time mate.

If your really interested in learning your car and saving some money the best method is to buy a service manual (or download one) and start reading.

Its not hard if you have some tools and some one to guide you.

Then if you dont understand something you can ask here, or bring it over to my place and ill explain it.

Yep some people like me count nickels and dimes, and if they charged you extra because you removed your timming belt cover you deserve it for going there.

Also some cars you cannot remove the bottom belt cover without taking the harmonic balancer off so sometimes its not worth it.

Thanks

thanks for the replies...

yea i eyeballed it the front of the v6 engine timing belt cover is held in place by 3 bolts same as the rear they just come off.However the bottom piece in order to getit offyou need to remove the harmonic balancer i found out.

Look when you say you wouldnt be happy if someone bought you a half disassembledcar mate im jsut trying to save some money, im inuni at the moment most of my cash goes for uni and it would be good to save a bit on the car. Im studying engineering nd i know a bit about my car global88 but i just dont want to stuff anything up im the type that could dissasemble the engine completly if someone was there jsut by my side that knew how to do it where if i was by myself id have no f&kn clue nd be second guessing myself to much. ah well thanks for the offer to bring it around mayby another time ill pay ya 60bux hourfor labour ah well going to the mechanics on thursday wish me luckk...

Farah aka FTO King

Thanks

Ha Ha, im not offering to do the work, im offering to show ya.

That means you do the work, i watch and guide (for free)

Seriously, if you got a service manual it guides you step by stepand shows special things that relate to your model.

You could start with all the minor servicing (oil, filters, plugs) yourself and save a packet.

Leave all the major hard stuff (like now) to the experts till you get better and confident.

We all started at the basics, lucky i had my old man to help and show me from 8 years old.

Now i do all his work for him

By the way what engineering are you studying? Mechanical?

Thanks

yea i can do the oil filter sparkies and breaks well the front sparkies that is...i also changed the air intake and things im very good with my hands and love to do things myself its just that i dont have a hoist or anything to lift the cr up liek stands or anyything i should invest in some i think.Yeh that would be great globall88 mayby some otehr time id love to work on the car myself with ur guidance....i can find the workshop manuals but there not step by step at all.

Oh and im din second year of uni so havnt decided yet what stream i decide next year..Thinking of Bio_medical engineering id love to do automotiv eor mechanical but not to many jobs around....so Bio-Medical or Electronic eng thats why iv been able to do most of the electrical problems in my car hah..

cheers

F.k.

Thanks

Fark a smart Leb!

Good to see your looking ahead, keep it up.

One thing i did was every service that i handled, id buy a tool with the money i saved.
    You dont need a hoist.
    A good hydrolic trolley jack. $80 to $140
    A pair of heavy duty car stands. $40
    A pair of heavy duty car ramps (4wd) $80 on sale

Dont do what a guy around the corner from my place did. He put the car up on bricks, the family heard a small noise, the car had fallen and killed him.
    He left a wife and 4 children behind.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

I just used a service manual to change the clutch in my car, man was that a mission. Clutch cost $1200.00 fitting would have set me back another $600 if I didn't do it myself.

Nothing beats the satisfaction of accomplishment. Get a book give it a go.

Word of advice... Get the right tools for the job, or spend twice as long trying to make do with the wrong ones.

Thanks

can i just add here aswell that i have found the Haynes Workshop manuals to be the best for the step by step guides. Also if you are doing a particularly dirty job, copy the pages you need and laminate em first.
    I remember doing my first cylinder head gasket and getting all the pages messed up. LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
    can i just add here aswell that i have found the Haynes Workshop manuals to be the best for the step by step guides. Also if you are doing a particularly dirty job, copy the pages you need and laminate em first.
    I remember doing my first cylinder head gasket and getting all the pages messed up. LOL
    Too late lol, the clutch section of the manual is covered in clutch dust!

Thanks

The best workshop manuals are the factory ones.

Full of details and info the others miss but no basic help menus for beginers.

Dont ask what their worth, you would have a heart attack.

If you look hard enough you could download them as a pdf.

I know my GTR bibles worth over $800.