Thread: How To: Reprogramming the Dreambox Remote Control

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default How To: Reprogramming the Dreambox Remote Control

1 Introduction

The remote control (RC) bundled with the dreambox is in fact based on the Omega model from uei
    This remote control has the possibility to handle up to 4 different devices (although originally on the Dreambox RC only 2 devices keys are present (namely TV & Dream)).
    This remote doesn’t have any “learning capabilities” in the sense that it is not possible to have it record IR signals.
    However, it is possible to program it (see attachment)
    This RC has a JP1 interface (just inside the battery compartment) which you use to connect to a computer.

2 What you need

2.1 Software
    You need at least the IR program and the Excel sheet keymap master. Both can be downloaded from in section Tools. To use The keymap master excel sheet, you need Excel with the analyse function (can be installed from the original Microsoft CDs).
    2.2 Hardware
    2.2.1 JP1 Interface
    To read and write from/to the remote control, a JP1 interface is required.
    In order to make this interface the following is needed (see attachment)
    Thanks to First Zipper for help with this

DownloadLink:

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I have played with the JP1 software and cables and loaded dm7000 remote onto a few other uei remotes - works a treat - just a steep learning curve - but then if you got a dreambox you know what thats like

Thanks

That's pretty groovy stuff imho. Shame you can only reprogram one additional button (ie Shift -> Tv) and not two. But will have a look through this as I would like to control my AV system as well.. good work!

Thanks

Doing a bit more searching there seems to be all sorts of funky things with newer firmware that can be done:

And a link to the sourceforge page:

Fun times ahead, now I plan to work on having multiple dreams managed from a single remote as this has bugged me for ages, having 2 DM500S and a 600 stacked ontop of each other... I just taped up the IR on the front to stop the others from having their channels changed.

Thanks

yeah dont know whether jp1 will help that bartender -
    you need your dreamboxes to have different remote codes controls for it to work - in which case you wouldnt need to tape them up.
    the real benefit of jp1 is in universal remotes - the normal dream remote I have can do 2 items - the universal I have does my dream and 7 other devices - 2 decoders, 2 tv, audio/amp,dvd,cd,tape

have you had a look at dreamswitch plugin ?
    it supposed to allow you to swap between controlling different boxes from one dream remote..

Thanks

I was looking from the perspective of
    A) New firmware for the standard DM7020/DM600PVR UEI remote control, so then like when you can re-configure what TV you are talking to re-configure what DM you are talking to
    B) Have updated rcdm7020.xml that points to a whole new set of keys.

Then you could have one DM remote, or two DM remotes controlling different DM's, in theory

Thanks

ok so if you have updated the rcdm7020.xml and that means that box listens to different codes to the other - your right jp1 programming will do what you want
    oh yeah it pays to have hex as a second language

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nfnovice View Post
    ok so if you have updated the rcdm7020.xml and that means that box listens to different codes to the other - your right jp1 programming will do what you want
    oh yeah it pays to have hex as a second language
    BA DC AF E0, I think when I get a bit of time to mess around with it all it should be quite achievable.
    The only thing I am not so sure about is if I can have the "Dream" button being used as a setup button. IE you hit the Dream button, then hold Setup for 3 seconds, then hit just a single digit for which "number" Dream remote you want, ie Dream -> Setup x3 seconds -> 1 or Dream -> Setup x3 Seconds -> 2 etc... plus having the dream as a 4 digit code on the TV button, so you could enter say TV -> Setup x3 seconds -> 7020 for Dream remote 1, then TV -> Setup x3 seconds -> 7021 for the second remote and so on.

Then I could create rcdm7020.xml rcdm7021.xml etc... and so on... then I know within the OSD in PLI you can select which version of the remote you want to use so as long as that menu just reads all XML's in the resources directory I should be sweet.

That is the grand master plan, don't know when I will have time for it, but it's worth a go.