Thread: Foxtel adds channels, doubles price?

Thanks

Default Foxtel adds channels, doubles price?

Foxtel adds channels, doubles price?

From

updated Pay TV operator Foxtel could be almost doubling the price of its basic plan next week as it announces 30 new channels and iQ recorders for every customer, according to an anonymous tipster.

The basic package could rise from its current level of AU$50 (including an extra $10 device rental) to AU$88 this year for some customers, according to a presentation allegedly given by CEO Kim Williams at Foxtel headquarters last night.

However, Jamie Campbell Foxtel's general manager of program publicity said that the pricing information itself is "completely incorrect", but was unable to give any further details.

Kim Williams announced a new name for the service — Foxtel Next Generation — which will feature a new logo and will come into effect on 15 November 2009.

Foxtel has announced previously that it intends to upgrade all customers to a version of the iQ, and this looks like it will occur from November, with all subscribers (bar those on a basic package) receiving an iQ for free. According to the source, the "Basic" package as it stands will no longer be offered, and current customers will need to add a "value pack" to keep their service — the trade-off being that they will then receive an iQ recorder instead of a straight set-top box.

Thirty new channels are expected to be added to Foxtel's line-up, which will include a whole host of new movie channels, including four Showtime channels — Comedy, Drama, Action and Action HD — a family movie channel (FMC), plus a new crime channel 13th Street. Fox Sports will now boast up to five channels, with all now in HD (and presumably simulcast in SD). A further selection of delayed "+2" channels will also be added, according to the source.

In April, Foxtel changed its online EPG and it foretold that the iQ EPG would get a similar upgrade in October, with changes including Box Office and On Demand getting full poster art.

One additional feature looks similar to the "Press Red for More" function that currently gives viewers more information about advertisers. This time, it looks like it will appear during program promos and let you record the advertised show with the press of one of the coloured buttons.

The EPG will now reportedly feature PIP in addition to playing the audio of the current program, as it does now.

According to the source, there will be eight new packages, with five in standard definition (iQ) and three in high definition (iQ2). These could include:

* Basic: AU$88
    * Gold: AU$100
    * Platinum: ~AU$116 (iQ2 extra)
    * Platinum+HD: AU$135 (iQ2 included, with an AU$100 up-front installation fee)

On Wednesday, Foxtel leaked details of its new catch-up service Foxtel Download, which will be included as a part of the customer's package and allows customers to download missed shows for free, and movies for an additional charge.

Update: a reader has sent us a pricing page from Telstra which outlines more modest pricing changes of only a couple of extra dollars on the basic plan. But be aware this is only for people who have another service with Telstra, such as a fixed line or post-paid mobile. The page says that "Customers who joined Foxtel from Telstra before 1 October 2009 will not be impacted by the new pricing". We look forward to finding out the details on Tuesday.
    Don't let the number of posts fool you :-)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bander For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (26-09-09)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

If this is true...then foxtel can get f&cked.....most expensive pay tv anywhere in the world....pure BS.
    When In Doubt - Make It Into A Coffee Table.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Why would they be running a massive promotion at the moment ( look at the banners ) with standard receivers if they are putting everyone on an IQ in November ? I cant see them installing standard boxes next month and then changing them all over the following month.

Thanks

From $50 to $88, yes an increase but not double the price.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good sensationalistic headline.

The articel has IQ2 installation as $100, in fact it is $200, so they don't even have correct original figures to start with.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES
    Changes to FOXTEL from Telstra plans FOXTEL from Telstra tiers Old Price
    (per month) New Price from 1st October
    (per month)
    Get Started $40 $42
    Platinum $106 $110
    HD Platinum $131 $135
    Platinum IQ $116 $120
    HD Tier $15 $16
    My Complete Movies $29 $32

this is foxtel pricing from Telstra web page.

FOXTEL from Telstra
    IMPORTANT NEWS - FOXTEL from Telstra Price Changes

From 1 October 2009 FOXTEL from Telstra will launch NEW pricing.

The price change will impact customers joining FOXTEL from Telstra from 1 October.

Customers who joined FOXTEL from Telstra before 1 October 2009 will not be impacted by the new pricing however if you make a change to your package from 1 October 2009 then the new pricing will apply to that change.
    Last edited by mate; 26-09-09 at 10:48 AM.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

Sorry but the double price story has been completely debunked.

The ones on the Telstra site will match the new Foxtel ones.

The 'slideshow' was from, I believe, some kind of random market research questions.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C-Bander View Post
    Foxtel has announced previously that it intends to upgrade all customers to a version of the iQ, and this looks like it will occur from November, with all subscribers (bar those on a basic package) receiving an iQ for free.
    They can't even keep up with the current demand of IQ installs. So to expect them to upgrade everyone that has a standard box, is a joke. I can't even get more IQ's from the warehouse.
    This week alone, I've installed 2 triple multirooms, all with standard boxes.
    Methinks it'll be quite a while before, if ever, standard boxes are taken out of service.

Thanks

If you believe that crap, then I've got a bridge in Sydney you might want to buy

Premium Member
    Thanks

Why do prices keep going up...

We should be getting lower pricing for what we already have or the same price for more services coming on.

What we have in Oz is crap. No competition, No value ... only rip offs from monopolies

Administrator
    Thanks

If the prices that mate posted are correct , an extra $4 a month on the platinum package is pretty good value in my opinion for the amount of extra channels coming.

Banned
    Thanks

Thumbs down foxtel needs to go bcz there ripping ppl off they wont change

hi everyone ,foxtel needs to go .everyone is sick of watching the same stuff over and over again my god ive told people this for years ,if this mob gets hold of austar which i pray they dont they will be able to rip off and charge ppl what they want bcz there would be no 1 around to stand up and stop them ok ,thanks hamguy2 nsw

• The Following User Says Thank You to hamguy2 For This Useful Post:

urban_s0ulja (26-09-09)

Administrator
    Thanks

If you dont like it , dont watch it. Its getting very boring reading the same old crap posted in every thread.

Thanks

internet ..use it wisely ... and no need to pay for tv ..
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks

You just need to pay for an internet connection with a high download allowance. Which in general is on par with the price of paytv.

Thanks

yep .. but ya download wot ya want and watch it when ya want ... and most likely not aired on Aus Pay Tv yet ... its win win situation! ... why pay for price of paytv that same for inet with high allowance .. otherwise its paytv + inet costs (with low allowance ) ...save $$$ for them beers !
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    yep .. but ya download wot ya want and watch it when ya want ... and most likely not aired on Aus Pay Tv yet ... its win win situation! ... why pay for price of paytv that same for inet with high allowance .. otherwise its paytv + inet costs (with low allowance ) ...save $$$ for them beers !
    I already watch what I want when I want. I dont watch stupid reality shows and the associated similar rubbish on the FTA networks so like many I am not fazed when they are aired.

I would not want to download a live football match , nor would I want to download a live boxing match....I want to watch them live when they happen not when they finish.

I know what quality I am getting unlike crappy screeners and cam jobs and I dont have viruses jumping out of the set top box at me.

It cracks me up going to peoples houses and seeing them squint watching shit quality pirated movies. Its pretty rare a good movie comes out these days ( how many movies can they make about superheros ? ) , I am more than happy to see what I want in the best quality available , not poor quality or compressed rubbish.

Australia has a long way to go before the internet is anywhere near capable of replacing television.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

mborkp (28-09-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Its a load of crap, they would drive themselves out of the market.

Selectv could only wish for them to put prices up. LOL

Thanks

Good point Sanity.. I often buy box sets.

I bought Stargate SG-1 Season 9 on Fri night. It's a long weekend here in WA and I wanted something to watch.

I could have downloaded it over 20 hours, but I like to watch it with the subtitles and that doesn't happen on torrented stuff. A friend gave me season 8 downloaded, but the eps were out of order, one was in French!

Sometimes just paying 40 bucks is better than watching crap and using up my monthly quota.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by checkitout View Post
    Why do prices keep going up...
    I guess some kiddies were too busy talking shit to their mates in school when this topic came up:

We should be getting lower pricing for what we already have or the same price for more services coming on.
    Why? More channels mean higher costs so the price has to rise if profits are to be maintained. Would you work twice as much for the same pay? Didn't think so. Stop expecting corporations to do what you wouldn't unless you want everyone to think you're a hypocrite.

What we have in Oz is crap. No competition, No value ... only rip offs from monopolies
    Well that's easily fixed. Start your own pay tv company. Good luck trying to compete with Foxtel in our tiny market.
    I guess you think we should have a few navy aircraft carriers and our own fleet of space shuttles too.....
    FFS. Go live somewhere else in the world so we don't have to listen to your whinging. If you're not a part of the solution then you're a part of the problem.