Thread: Mapping Network Drive Over The Internet

Thanks

Default Mapping Network Drive Over The Internet

Hi Guys,

I have a small office. 5 desktops and 1 server. The server basically just shares a drive for all our files.

We have just started using laptops so that when the guys are out on the road they can access emails but I would really like to be able to access the network drive as well.

The server runs "Server 2003" and I have a VPN router but that's where I get lost. Do I just set up VPN in the router or do I need to change some settings in the file server?

The router (DSL-G804V) has a few different options for VPN.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Skip

Look Here ->
    Thanks

The laptops will need to run a vpn client with either/and a vpn certificate and login/password.

The router will need to be setup for VPN access and maybe some port forwarding too. I think port 139 might be windows file sharing but check.

Thanks

use VNC ..alot easier .. just install VNC server on server 2003 server and VNC client software on laptops ! and use IP of 2003 server to connect
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

VNC?

i suggest hamachi as a small, easy to setup VPN system. just need the laptop to have hamachi installed and it gives you another IP address for the server, the hamachi IP, just connect to that and bobs your uncle. this usually works with no port forwarding, however, i think 1 specific port speeds it up a bit.

Or for something a little more complex, but less obnoxious and more professional looking, take a look at openVPN. Install server on the server, and client on laptops, setup the VPN and away you go. would require a little port forwarding but shouldnt need too much.

Another, slightly different option would be to setup a FTP server, wouldnt be the same as mapping a network drive, but would serve the purpose.

Hope that is helpful.

Jalorathis

Thanks

TCP port 1723 is used for VPN. just use port forwarding in your router settings to point to your server IP.

On your server you may need to set up VPN. i is very straight forward just can't remember exactly been a while since I used Windows Server 2003 but is should be in the communications setting, i can always go and fire up the ol server.

Is your server set up as Active Domain Controller or just as a work group?

If it is a active domain controller you will need to adjust a few settings in the user group settings.

on your laptops all you need to do is set up a new VPN connection (sameway you set up a new network connection, just select VPN or if using the wizard say you want to connect to your office or something) pointing to your server IP (or your internet side of your server IP)

If you need any help just PM me and I can give you step by step instructions.
    Last edited by outlaw308; 28-02-08 at 09:55 PM. Reason: coz i can't type

Thanks

Hi Outlaw308,

I ran the VPN wizard on the server and forward the 1723 tcp port to the servers address.

As I don't have any laptops in the office I'll try it when I get home today.

[QUOTE=outlaw308;20056]
    Is your server set up as Active Domain Controller or just as a work group?

If it is a active domain controller you will need to adjust a few settings in the user group settings.
    QUOTE]

I am an absolute novice when it comes to server setups and basically just did set up this one to try and move us forward. I purchased it second hand, installed Server2003 and used the File Server wizard to share 1 drive. All of our files are stored on this and that's it. The ADSL modem/router assigns all the IP addresses.

Thanks for your help and I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers,
    Skip

Thanks

Jusy for good measure, i recommend setting the server to a static IP. Then, in the event of a restart, it will not get assigned another IP by the router.

Simply write down the IP address, default gateway and DNS servers, flick it over to static in the properties tab and type those IPs in their respective boxes and away you go.

Jalorathis

Thanks

Thanks for the tip Jalorathis.

When setting up the VPN on the server I remeber adding a username and password and I did write it down but I have lost the note somewhere along the line. When I connect from home and am asked for the username and password I entered the same ones I use at work but to no avail.
    Where can I find the settings to change the username and password for the server VPN access?

Thanks,
    Skip

Thanks

Hi Guys.

I've got the VPN connected and can access the files I need perfectly.

I have another problem though - When I cconnect to the VPN I loose access to the internet in that I can't browse any websites using Internet Explorer 7. The desktop i'm using runs Vista Ultimate.

Cheers,
    Skip

Thanks

I am probably wrong here as I haven't done this on domestic ADSL connections, but it may point you to the correct answer.

Basically you need to set up your laptop to all fixed IP addresses, one IP subnet for the net the other for the VPN and the gateway to the ADSL modem IP.

Try adding a 2nd IP subnet to the network interface on your laptop.... open the LAN connection properties and under Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties click advanced and add a 2nd IP range... what you actually need to add depends on your VPN IP and your usual internet access IP address range. I don't know enough of your set up to know, but see if you can end up with your gateway IP to your ADSL router address and still be able to access both the net and VPN.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Hi Guys.

I've got the VPN connected and can access the files I need perfectly.

I have another problem though - When I cconnect to the VPN I loose access to the internet in that I can't browse any websites using Internet Explorer 7. The desktop i'm using runs Vista Ultimate.

Cheers,
    Skip
    Go into the advanced settings of the pptp connection and then into network connections, tcp/ip and to the more settings. Uncheck the box "Use gateway on remote network" that way your default route wont be changed to the internet.
    Last edited by cwispy; 06-03-08 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typo
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

Also mate, I'm pretty sure I had this problem before.

Instead of fiddling with all those settings. Try changing the network adapter priority.

Here are some guides (its easy as!)
    XP:
    Vista:

let us know how it goes mate.
    Evil.

EDIT: Cwispy's suggestion could work too though. But if i remember correctly, i had the exact same problem as you on my vista machine.

Thanks

If you are having this many issues navigating server 2003 you may want to think of a backup strategy.

You have a backup plan right? For all that data?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evil_jesus View Post
    Also mate, I'm pretty sure I had this problem before.

Instead of fiddling with all those settings. Try changing the network adapter priority.

Here are some guides (its easy as!)
    XP:
    Vista:

let us know how it goes mate.
    Evil.

EDIT: Cwispy's suggestion could work too though. But if i remember correctly, i had the exact same problem as you on my vista machine.

Thanks Evil,

I'll try this this afternoon.

Cheers,

Skip

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z80 View Post
    If you are having this many issues navigating server 2003 you may want to think of a backup strategy.

You have a backup plan right? For all that data?
    Hi z80,

Never really had to navigate it. We really only use it as a file server. We used to just run a seperate computer with xp but have since installed server 03 on a recommendation.

If needed I would have had a professional come and set it up for us but to date there has been no need.

Back up of both system and the data drive are done daily. Thanks for your concern though.

Cheers,
    Skip