Thread: 500 Days of Summer

Thanks

Default 500 Days of Summer

I've never tried to write a movie review before so here goes....

In One Sentence
    This film is similar to Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, but with a less confusing storyline.

Plot
    Boy meets Girl and thinks she is the one, Girl doesn't agree and makes this clear from Day 1, Boy continues to model his life around this belief despite the impending disaster which results from doing so.

Rating
    6/10 - Where 1 is There Will Be Blood and 10 is Donnie Darko or The Usual Suspects.

There are no spoilers for this film. The opening scenes of the film itself are spoilers to the story that is about to be presented. The term story is used loosely because all you ever see are selected scenes depicting the relationship between the protagonist character and the female he has selected as being is the one and only girl for him.

The film basically shows the fragmented demise of this relationship in a slightly numeric order. At the very start the viewer knows how this story ends but is left needing to fill in the void between where it started and how it ended. This void is only partially filled in by watching the entire film.

Technically this film should be labeled a comedy. To elaborate would be to say that this film is a love story mixed with a few numerous scenes and sprinkled with a commentary overtone symbolising an old documentary, mixed with random film joins that suggest the film is a lesser grade than it actually is.

I think this film is watchable. In my opinion this film explores the notion that boys tend to be followers while girls tend to be sensible planners. I can relate to this very much because I follow my partner and she is the realist/planner type of girl. I also got the feeling that in this film there was the message that eventually everybody conforms to the traditional status, and that resistance is just delaying the onset of impending conformance. Speculation aside, and in closing, if you have 90 mins to kill then why not watch this film, unless its going to make you late for something more important.

Look Here ->

Thanks

Good review.and based on it I watched this.

I enjoyed it, but took away from it a few other things. I think most guys (and girls) for that matter have been in the same situation as the two lead characters, thinking they have found "the one" and to not have the feeling reciprocated. perhaps not to the extent portrayed in the film but none the less a "crush" is universal to all. (many one sided crushes exist)

I did not see the conformity that you mention (which is ok we all see things differently and I could be way off anyway) what I took away from the male/female dynamics of the film, was that they shared some time together but ultimately were not well suited for each other (in some deeper way Summer is quite subtle about it) but obvious feelings still remained (as they wished each other well - a friendship) and moved on with there lives.

I think this was evident when "Tom" meets the girl @ the job interview and its some what implied that they have more in common and the fact that she has noticed him around therefore have a better chance of a successful relationship.

Tricky to pin point it all, might have to watch it again at a later date and see what comes of a second viewing.

Was interesting to watch.
    just my opinion - each his/her own
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.