Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scripture in State Schools - Is it allowed??

Thanks

Default Scripture in State Schools - Is it allowed??

[rant]

Hiya all,

My son came home from school today with the adamant comment that God made this world and he is all powerful and magic..blah blah blah. Now, being an athiest, and my kid being 6 years old... I'm ****ing ropable. Are they allowed to do this in state schools? Should I not have been asked and made to sign something for this to be allowerd to be exposed to my child? Are they allowed to BRAINWASH 6 year olds??????
    He said this to me, I told him it's not true (hasn't been scientifically proven), and it's not what we as a family beleive. He then got upset and said it WAS true, which makes me come to the conclusion it's brainwashing.

Last question......can I do something about it, besides telling them not to?

Oh, and my opinion.......damn all christian ****ers to hell. It's cool if you beleive that bullshit, but don't force it onto anyone else. Especially kids for ****s sake!!

[/rant]

Look Here ->
    Thanks

you are so sad dude.

Tagg

Thanks

Why? Because someone bullshits to my son?

Thanks

Doesn't sound right to me, you should get onto the school and find out the facts.
    There were some rule changes proposed a few years ago, but may not have passed, that ensured you would have to approve any RI.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

I think in Queensland where my kids go to school they gave us a choice
    to do these classes (which my little one loves)
    Did you ask your boy if he enjoyed the class if so let it be
    If he didn't, see the school and just let them know that you
    don't want him doing the classes

Good luck mate
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Devil^Boy agree with ya all way .. like them pushing onto kids athiest beliefs ..... compalain say ya wish your child to be removed from class when they dribble on about god crap !
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

im not religious, but here goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Devil^Boy View Post

Are they allowed to do this in state schools?
    they could in my time.

Should I not have been asked and made to sign something for this to be allowerd to be exposed to my child?
    when I went through (in the 90's) you could do Catholic or other(which was some sort of anglican thing).... that was your choice if I remember right. I dont know if there was another option, but I can tell you not many (if any) kids did it.

I told him it's not true (hasn't been scientifically proven)
    Although I share your views on evangelism (religion should not be spread - especially to the weak minded), you shouldnt not believe things because they are not scientifically proven - even some things accepted by the scientific community may not necessarily be proven...and even Einstein believed in god!

I understand where you are coming from mate... but just sit back have a beer and think about the situation... sus it out -- good luck...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pak_indo View Post
    I understand where you are coming from mate... but just sit back have a beer and think about the situation... sus it out -- good luck...
    Thats bloody good advice mate
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

So if they brought Scientology into schools and made your children sit through that dribble as well, everyone would be ok with it?

I have my beliefs, and my children will follow them UNTIL they are old enough to make up their own mind. I don't go to church every sunday and tell all the kids there that Jedi are the almighty leader, or that Tom cruise should be the next high king, or that there ISN'T A GOD AT ALL blah blah blah, no......I let them do their own shit without interfering. Let my child go to school to learn school shit. If I want him to learn religious bullshit I'll send him to church myself.

A couple of interesting websites, the first which says it borders on being illegal as these teachers "promoting" religion are government funded and paid by tax dollars of non-religious tax payers - ironic?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you feel that strongly about it, change schools.
    I'm pretty sure most schools have a 'opt out' cause.

If you ban a kid from religion, sure as eggs, when the become teens, some fruitcake Christian group will convince (brainwash?) them into being 'born again', & they will do it because the never got to see it when they were younger

The old 'the grass is always greener' syndrome...
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

So what is the differents between you and them, you are forcing your beliefs on him just like the school is, Instead of getting all worked up and getting your kid upset as well and maybe even forcing him beleave more about god and such. Why don't you just go to the school and ask them what has happened at school and what their policy is on religion teaching, And why would you even post this on a open forum unless you are just looking for support to justifiy your own beliefs, I still think you are sad person.

Tagg

Thanks

So if they brought Scientology into schools and made your children sit through that dribble as well, everyone would be ok with it?

I have my beliefs, and my children will follow them UNTIL they are old enough to make up their own mind. I don't go to church every sunday and tell all the kids there that Jedi are the almighty leader, or that Tom cruise should be the next high king, or that there ISN'T A GOD AT ALL blah blah blah, no......I let them do their own shit without interfering. Let my child go to school to learn school shit. If I want him to learn religious bullshit I'll send him to church myself.

A couple of interesting websites, the first which says it borders on being illegal as these teachers "promoting" religion are government funded and paid by tax dollars of non-religious tax payers - ironic?

I spose what it comes down to is that although we may consider Australia to be somewhat Atheist, the fact of the matter is that we are based upon and still do adhere to Christian values -- even your username has some element of religion in it, like it or not...for this reason, I can see why religion still has some place in our public school system.

For what it is worth, in my experience, I have found that some of the most level headed individuals (spiritually speaking) I have come across coming through my schooling have been those whose parents let them evaluate things for themselves --> easier said than done (and I dont know how it was done and dont want to be in your place to find out ) again good luck!

pak

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    So what is the differents between you and them, you are forcing your beliefs on him just like the school is, Instead of getting all worked up and getting your kid upset as well and maybe even forcing him beleave more about god and such. Why don't you just go to the school and ask them what has happened at school and what their policy is on religion teaching, And why would you even post this on a open forum unless you are just looking for support to justifiy your own beliefs, I still think you are sad person.

Tagg
    im with tagg, specially on the come on to a public forum bit.....

F.K.

Thanks

Pak_indo, thanks for the advice and ideas. You must have been the only one to read my first post properly.

Quote Originally Posted by FTO King View Post
    specially on the come on to a public forum bit.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagg
    And why would you even post this on a open forum unless you are just looking for support to justifiy your own beliefs
    Is this not a public forum with which to express opinions and views of all natures? I've seen alot of shit posted on these forums over the years, I think this is pretty valid??!! Or maybe only if someone like andrew, shane etc posted it, would it be tolerated? I've posted this with the title "Scripture in State Schools - Is it allowed??" to get some info and advice, why would I need to ask someone to justify my own beliefs? That's just a ridiculous and childish assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Tagg
    you are forcing your beliefs on him just like the school is
    Wait up....I don't have a right to "force" my beliefs onto my own child but the school does?? I'm not forcing, how can a 6 year old child make up their own minds when they can't even comprehend and understand the facts and what they are told? Until he can, my right as a parent is to share my beliefs with him. If you were a parent (maybe you are, maybe you arn't) you would probably understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernbay
    If you feel that strongly about it, change schools.
    To another State School with the same problem? May as well just chuck him into a christian college...they get more gov funding anyway...

Anyway, I've made an appointment with the principal next week

Oh, and I'm guessing that you are a christian, Tagg? As it seems I've upset you with this......

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think the short answer is yes.

Scripture in State Schools - Is it allowed??
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

Maybe I should have worded it differently then.

How does this sound: Scripture in QLD State Schools - Is it compulsary, and what else do they offer (if anything) if your child does not attend? Or do you have to pull your child out of school for an hour each time they teach it?

Thanks

"Oh, and I'm guessing that you are a christian, Tagg? As it seems I've upset you with this......"

Far from it dude, I beleave in freedom of choice, it seems that your child enjoyed hearing about god and the things that he did, its you that has the problem because your child has gone agains't your beliefs and that has upset you because you think you have lost control of your childern, far from it let them learn they will make up their own mind, why not support them and help them decide show them that their dad is a understanding person that cares for what they want to learn, Chill out there kids, next week they may be into goth or if your unlucky burning the school down.

Tagg

Thanks

Pak_indo, thanks for the advice and ideas. You must have been the only one to read my first post properly.
    no worries mate!

Is this not a public forum with which to express opinions and views of all natures? I've seen alot of shit posted on these forums over the years, I think this is pretty valid??!! Or maybe only if someone like andrew, shane etc posted it, would it be tolerated? I've posted this with the title "Scripture in State Schools - Is it allowed??" to get some info and advice, why would I need to ask someone to justify my own beliefs? That's just a ridiculous and childish assumption.
    I think maybe you came on a little strong thats all mate...its all about the intelligent argument, being coarse wont help achieve that... seems to be a lesson I still am yet to learn...

To another State School with the same problem? May as well just chuck him into a christian college...they get more gov funding anyway...
    take it from me mate, it aint always worth the coin....

Thanks

I thought the school needed written permission from you to give your child Religious Instruction in school. Unless you nominated some sort of faith on enrollment then I think its the other way around you need to provide written notice to withdraw your child from Religious Instruction and do alternative activities.

QLD Government Schools policy

Thanks

My son went to private catholic primary and uniting church secondary (now doing his year 12 vce) because they were the only good choices in an area where the local public schools are full of BAD violence.
    The catholic primary parish priest use to dress in the black gown, speak with a lisp and rode a black harley chopper.
    Boy was my Mrs worried and she use to feel uneasy around the priest. Every day she use to question our son in regards to how close the priest was that day.

Yep they start the brainwashing straight away, from young.
    The religous aspect did teach our son good moral aspects of life.
    No harm in that.
    But i as the father am a catholic by christining and an atheist by choice.

Once he hit grade 5 i started the "dont belive all that they tell you" and "church is a buisiness" when the tray was passed around.
    Jesus rose from the dead was explained by he was most likely near death and nursed back to health.
    The virgin mary claimed to be a virgin because in those times unmarried women who had children were often stoned to death. Many women claimed to have had childern to god to avoid being stoned.
    He listened.
    Logic will always win.

As he got older and wiser he started to mature and understand.

He now calls the bible a "fairy tale" and understands that it teaches right from wrong and good values.

Hes a fine man today with compassion.
    Hes not a devil worshiper.

He sees things through "open" eyes.

Give it time.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast