Thread: Multiple Channels with Foxtel on PC

Thanks

Default Multiple Channels with Foxtel on PC

Hi,
    I am investigating wheather it is worth subscribing to Foxtel to add channels to our HTPC setup. Firstly, I would like to know if by using a DVB-C card and NDS cam programs you can decrypt and view Foxtel and/or Foxtel HD streams on either Windows or Linux.
    Secondly, what determines how many channels you can 'tune in' to at once? (the number of DVB-C cards, the number of wall ports, something on the card, or something else) and is it possible to buy cards that have dual tuners?
    Thirdly, is it possible to then use MythTV to record and stream programs on these channels thoughout a home?

Thanks,

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adammw View Post
    Hi,
    I am investigating wheather it is worth subscribing to Foxtel to add channels to our HTPC setup. Firstly, I would like to know if by using a DVB-C card and NDS cam programs you can decrypt and view Foxtel and/or Foxtel HD streams on either Windows or Linux.
    Secondly, what determines how many channels you can 'tune in' to at once? (the number of DVB-C cards, the number of wall ports, something on the card, or something else) and is it possible to buy cards that have dual tuners?
    Thirdly, is it possible to then use MythTV to record and stream programs on these channels thoughout a home?
    Technically, it's possible. I've done it with a dvb-c card, a phoenix reader and using sasc-ng for decryption with newcs to interface with the card. I used VDR, but MythTV should be just the same, as sasc-ng created virtual DVB devices so that the application just thinks it's unencrypted dvb-c content. This was on Linux of course. HDTV should be no different from SDTV.

I never got it to be fully stable though, as I sometimes saw cpu usage go to 100%, and sometimes the setup simply failed to decrypt a channel. I never had the time to fully find out if this was to problem with newcs talking to the card through phoenix, or if it was sasc-ng that was unstable for decryption.

Also, using sasc-ng for decryption can sometimes require some processor power. I'd recommend a dual core processor at least. And I'd really recommend getting an nvidia card to use VDPAU for hardware mpeg2 / h.264 decryption. It really offloads the CPU. I'd recommend a passively cooled 9500 card, as even though it doesn't decrypt MVC-1, it can do spatial-temporal on a full 1080i picture. Most 9400 and 9600 cards can't.

There are no dual tuner cards for dvb-c. Your easiest option, and the most compatible card, is the technotrend c-1501.

You can record one channel or have one viewing session per card. So two dvb-c cards will allow you to view one channel while recording another. (I don't remember offhand if dvb-c transfers multiple channels per transponder as dvb-t does, which would allow you to do multiple recording / viewing per card as long as they are on the same transponder.)

For cable, you can just use a splitter to feed multiple cards using the same cable, there's no polarisation of the head as you have with dvb-s.

Since I had some stability problems, I also acquired a T-Rex CAM to allow for hardware encryption. With the latest predator software, this CAM supports decoding of foxtel apparently. I never got around to get it to work before the foxtel subscription expired though. One disadvantage of such an approach is that you'll only be able to use it with a single dvb-c card. Using sasc-ng with news as described above lets you use as many cards as you see fit.

So, for the last point; is it worth it? I'd say no, get a proper DVB-T setup for freeview. It gives you 11 channels, and when you start recording the interesting stuff on ABC, SBS and sometimes 7, 9 and ten, you'll just realise that there's just crap on paytv anyway. And I'd strongly recommend VDR, it's got a much higher WAF than MythTV. It simply works.

Thanks

I know I'm coming in a bit late, but there are detailed instructions at the link below to do what you want.

The stability depends on your hardware and I am running this system with a great deal of success. Be sure you read as much of the post as possible, as the method has eveolved and an updated instruction is on its way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iampivot View Post
    Technically, it's possible. I've done it with a dvb-c card, a phoenix reader and using sasc-ng for decryption with newcs to interface with the card. I used VDR, but MythTV should be just the same, as sasc-ng created virtual DVB devices so that the application just thinks it's unencrypted dvb-c content. This was on Linux of course. HDTV should be no different from SDTV.

I never got it to be fully stable though, as I sometimes saw cpu usage go to 100%, and sometimes the setup simply failed to decrypt a channel. I never had the time to fully find out if this was to problem with newcs talking to the card through phoenix, or if it was sasc-ng that was unstable for decryption.

Also, using sasc-ng for decryption can sometimes require some processor power. I'd recommend a dual core processor at least.
    Are you aware there's a new contender out there now called OSCAM?
    Supposedly it's a CAM emulation server (NewCS) and decryptor app. (SASC-NG) rolled into one?
    Apparently unlike NewCS it's still being actively developed and supports the revised, more compact, ECM format used by the HD channels, box office, and some other optional channels like Setanta.

I'm still not sure what card/s and reader is ideal though....

And I'd really recommend getting an nvidia card to use VDPAU for hardware mpeg2 / h.264 decryption. It really offloads the CPU. I'd recommend a passively cooled 9500 card, as even though it doesn't decrypt MVC-1, it can do spatial-temporal on a full 1080i picture. Most 9400 and 9600 cards can't.
    What about the GT220?
    From my reading's it's as good as it gets in Linux from a VA POV, 3d gaming I believe it's slightly worse than the 9600 series. It's also on a shrunk die.

There are no dual tuner cards for dvb-c. Your easiest option, and the most compatible card, is the technotrend c-1501.
    You serious? How gay is that!?

You can record one channel or have one viewing session per card. So two dvb-c cards will allow you to view one channel while recording another. (I don't remember offhand if dvb-c transfers multiple channels per transponder as dvb-t does, which would allow you to do multiple recording / viewing per card as long as they are on the same transponder.)
    I so want to know this one, it would suck of I have to get fours individual cards just to get 4-channels.
    Some single DVB-T cards can handle 4 channels at once because of multiple channels being on the same transponder.

For cable, you can just use a splitter to feed multiple cards using the same cable, there's no polarisation of the head as you have with dvb-s.

Since I had some stability problems, I also acquired a T-Rex CAM to allow for hardware encryption. With the latest predator software, this CAM supports decoding of foxtel apparently. I never got around to get it to work before the foxtel subscription expired though. One disadvantage of such an approach is that you'll only be able to use it with a single dvb-c card. Using sasc-ng with news as described above lets you use as many cards as you see fit.
    Hmm yeah, this sounds kinda limiting, think I'd rather use an emulated CAM.
    Pretty sure my Core i3-530 + h57 mobo + 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM will handle decryption whilst doing other things

So, for the last point; is it worth it? I'd say no, get a proper DVB-T setup for freeview. It gives you 11 channels, and when you start recording the interesting stuff on ABC, SBS and sometimes 7, 9 and ten, you'll just realise that there's just crap on paytv anyway. And I'd strongly recommend VDR, it's got a much higher WAF than MythTV. It simply works.
    nooo, don't give up on DVB-C!
    Last edited by jalyst; 21-04-10 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks

iampivot/anyone? thank-you.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Sorry mate, I've got little time to "sysadmining my television" these days, so I'm sticking to freeview. I couldn't be bothered to subscribe to foxtel anymore in any case. What's on there that's worth to watch?

I'll prob put some dvb-c and associated cam gear on ebay soon.

Thanks

What did you last fiddle with that worked "kinda" okay?
    Can you provide some details about the gear you're selling.

Thanks

@iampivot *bump*
    Thank-you very much.

Thanks

What did you last fiddle with that worked "kinda" okay?
    Can you provide some details about the gear you're selling.
    I've started a dedicated thread here...

Quote Originally Posted by iampivot View Post
    Sorry mate, I've got little time to "sysadmining my television" these days, so I'm sticking to freeview. I couldn't be bothered to subscribe to foxtel anymore in any case. What's on there that's worth to watch?

I'll prob put some dvb-c and associated cam gear on ebay soon.
    Last edited by jalyst; 24-04-10 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks

@iampivot

mate, could you please just answer my last 2 questions?
    I'd be most appreciative... All the best.