Thread: Spammers

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Spammers

Although members dont really see a lot of it , Austech like many web forums receives a lot of spam mainly from automated bots. Although the vast majority is dealt with before members see it , in the last couple of weeks this has changed. Most security measures have now been hacked through by spammers , the ReCaptcha system for example that Austech uses ( and millions of others ) has been compromised meaning that bots can get through the " type the words " registration option.

It has even got to the point that humans are employed where necessary to get bots through the registration stages if they cant do it themselves.

As head mechanic/fixer/vbulletin person , I have been asked to look in to any possible solutions that we can use to stop the flow of spam , as even if members dont see it Moderators are still having to deal with it behind the scenes. I have installed 2 antispam solutions to the site to deal with this problem.

Both of these solutions involve us connecting to antispam databases where spammers information is recorded and new registrations here are matched against it. One does involve a " learning " process by the software , so please do not be alarmed if for any reason you make a post or a thread and it comes up as " moderated ". This is not likely to happen , but possible. Should it happen , dont panic , its not a biggie , a moderator will manually approve it and that should be the end of the problem ifyou are not a bot

Should you be a human and cant register for any reason , please submit a ticket via the HelpCenter link on the toolbar. Its unlikely to happen but possible if you choose a known spammer username.

It is impossible to stop all spam , but we all want to see as little as possible. The new solutions have been great so far , looking at the logs known spammers are being denied registration and are moving elsewhere. As always , should you come accross any spam please report it via the post report button so that moderators can promptly deal with it.

Thanks
    Sanity

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

beer4life (18-10-09),cobra679 (19-10-09),Godzilla (18-10-09),mkhannah (18-10-09),mtv (18-10-09),myf360f1 (18-10-09),osci (21-10-09),OSIRUS (18-10-09),roguefan99 (18-10-09),shagga66 (18-10-09),SystemRat (18-10-09),z1gg33 (18-10-09)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

S - serial
    P - pests
    A - annoying
    M - moderators

Great work mate, the spam that we as mods do get to see is unbelievable, you think one day they might give up...???
    I wont hold my breath.

Thanks

hmmmm

Thanks

Yeah just as I was typing he popped up...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Been watching him all morning He has now been sent to the database.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

I had the "this thread needs to be approved by a moderator" last night.

I thought i was being gagged and filtered by the mods.

Anyway im sure the members here will keep an eye out, everyone knows where the report post button is.

Thanks

Just a quick question, how long before the database takes the details, as I have been "FLAGGED" as a spammer I am not sure how it works, but I did have an account on another board somewhat hacked, the ADMINS caught it and suspended my account (I was away for 12 months) and emailed me, reinstated it and all is good? could this be why I get asked for it to be MOD'ed even after 2ish days that I (either name/IP) is on this database, I am not complaining, just curious as to when I might be back to normal (as i can not edit my posts)
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.