Thread: Ch:7 on Satellite

Thanks

Default Ch:7 on Satellite

taken from the newspaper cut n paste

THE Seven Network has signed an agreement with Foxtel that will see the free-to-air channel's digital programming appear on pay TV in a few weeks.

The deal, to cost Seven about $2 million a year, will give the network another ratings boost.

It involves the rebroadcasting of Seven's digital programming along with its electronic program guide for subscribers in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and the Gold Coast.

Foxtel has already done similar deals with the Nine Network, ABC, SBS and last year with Channel Ten.

The arrangement ends a tense relationship between the two companies after Seven took Foxtel to court for allegedly trying to kill its pay-TV arm, C7.

Foxtel's satellite subscribers in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane will receive digital retransmission early next year after the launch of the new Optus D3 satellite.

It also will mean Seven's high-definition channel, 7 HD, will form part of Foxtel's HD service when that is launched during the middle of this year.

Seven Media Group CEO David Leckie said it was great news for Seven viewers.

"We are excited about this new, positive phase in our relationship with Foxtel," he said. "Seven's objective is to deliver our programming to all Australians, and we look forward to making our programming content and information available to more viewers than ever before."

Foxtel CEO Kim Williams said he was pleased with the agreement.

"Today's retransmission deal with Foxtel and the Seven Network has been a long time coming and means that Foxtel now has retransmission agreements with all networks," he said.

The deal casts some doubt over the future of TiVo, a rival digital video recording system which is seen by many as a competitor to Foxtel's IQ system.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Damn they should do deals with austar too.. :S

Premium Member
    Thanks

What has happened to competition ?

ATM it all seems to be a monopoly that goes back to either Foxtel or Telstra.

Sure there are other competitors like Optus, Austar and Select TV but it needs to go further.

Foxtel and Telstra are always there being the big player with the big dollars and bullying everyone around them to ensure that they are always the main player which to me stills sounds like a monopoly.

It should be outlawed. The government should step in break them up into small pieces and allow more players to compete against each other and provide more choice at a better price to the end users.

My 2 cents worth.

Thanks

Seven Media Group CEO David Leckie said it was great news for Seven viewers.

"We are excited about this new, positive phase in our relationship with Foxtel," he said. "Seven's objective is to deliver our programming to all Australians, and we look forward to making our programming content and information available to more viewers than ever before."
    So according to David Leckie Aussies that only live in those cities matter as he has not done any deal with any other provider that serves other areas. Typical city attitude!

Thanks

I am sure this has come up here before, but they legally can't show it to anyone outside the areas that the city stations broadcast too. It is the same reason you legally can't watch imparja in the cities or GWN outside WA.

Each station has a broadcast footprint and buys the rights to show programs exclusively to that footprint. So WIN, for example would pay NINE for exclusive rights to broadcast NINE programs in WIN areas. NINE (or TEN or 7) can't legally broadcast to the same areas without breaking that contract.

p.

Thanks

Its a long time coming, I wonder how long its gonna take for Perth to get anything besides ABC and SBS, as is currently the case. In my household, 7,9,and 10 don't get a look in, since they are not on the Fox box, and nobody can be bothered turning on the Digital STB. It hasn't been such a bad thing actually, because I'm sure I'd get fed up with the constant ad interruptions to programming.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,224 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    ...It hasn't been such a bad thing actually, because I'm sure I'd get fed up with the constant ad interruptions to programming.
    LOL, what Pay TV channels are you watching without ads, beside Movie Channels?? (Touch wood)

Thanks

Well in Adelaide all we get on satellite foxtel is ABC and SBS.
    Amazing how we all pay au wide the same price for fox digital, but dont all get the basic content.
    Id love to have them on my fox box, get sick of changing the tv av channels.

Thanks

I have sat fox in perth and aswell no 7,9,10 but my sis in law has fox cable in perth and does have 2,7,9,10 & sbs...hmmmmm...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gavatron View Post
    I have sat fox in perth and aswell no 7,9,10 but my sis in law has fox cable in perth and does have 2,7,9,10 & sbs...hmmmmm...
    can confirm 2,7,9,10, SBS available on cable in Perth. Has been for ages from memory............