Thread: Electricity going up 25 %

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Electricity going up 25 %

Any one else get a letter from their power retailer .

TRU going from 16.11 c /kw to 20.2950 c/Kw inc GST

Last edited by pieces; 24-10-09 at 11:48 AM.

2. Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Get ready for what the next few years brings.

All energy and water prices to sky rocket.

Brace, brace, brace (put your head between your legs.)

Life aint going to get cheaper, maybe its time to get energy efficient and start switching things off around the house.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Life aint going to get cheaper, maybe its time to get energy efficient and start switching things off around the house.
    thats if some of you can afford to keep your house.

Thanks

Now where's that bambam character who told me I was dreaming about an electricity price rise ?

@pieces - now you are paying what South Australians have been paying for years !

Electricity prices effectively doubled with the introduction of privatisation....which is supposed to bring competition, and hence, lower prices. Pig's arse it did, all the CEOs wear the 'old school tie' and go to the same parties.

Electricity and anything with a carbon chain hanging off it will skyrocket (even more)
    with the introduction of the 'carbon tax' - which does buggerall for the carbon 'problem' except line the pockets of big business and its shareholders. The poorest in society will suffer the most as they (will have to) turn off anything/everything which is carbon taxed, whilst the richer people will generate the same amount of carbon but just pay more.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bulbous View Post
    Now where's that bambam character who told me I was dreaming about an electricity price rise ?

@pieces - now you are paying what South Australians have been paying for years !

Electricity prices effectively doubled with the introduction of privatisation....which is supposed to bring competition, and hence, lower prices. Pig's arse it did, all the CEOs wear the 'old school tie' and go to the same parties.
    Pieces IP address is Victorian so I am presuming we are unfortunate enough to cop it again. We have already had privatisation in the 1990's and the associated price increases with them. If they are jacking it up another 25% I am not going to be happy I am with Origin Energy for Gas and Electricity so I will see if I get a letter this week.

Everyone will end up moving to the country and connecting solar power with increases like that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Everyone will end up moving to the country and connecting solar power with increases like that.
    Exactly.
    Get solar water system, solar electric system, smart meter.
    In winter use electrical water booster on nights only (timer)
    Heat with gas heather when on pick hours, switch to aircon heathing when off pick.

Well in summer no need for water heating booster., cooling....well pray! or better go shopping in pick hours

Ohhh, and use energy saving bulbs, LEDs with downlighting.

Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulbous View Post

Electricity and anything with a carbon chain hanging off it will skyrocket (even more)
    with the introduction of the 'carbon tax' - which does buggerall for the carbon 'problem' except line the pockets of big business and its shareholders. The poorest in society will suffer the most as they (will have to) turn off anything/everything which is carbon taxed, whilst the richer people will generate the same amount of carbon but just pay more.

That about sums it up. An ETS will do absolutely nothing while increasing the cost of those services that are considered basic.

Thanks

Here in WA only electricity is through the government, no competition here.

Prices went up 25% in one go a few months ago. They hadn't risen for 10 years before that though.

Went from about 12 to around 16c per kw/h.

Is suppose it's all relative though.. is a pool full of water really worth more than $1? Does a tv generate more than $3 per week of damage to the environment?
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Banned
    Thanks

Tru are also offering 300% tariff feed in rate if you have a photovoltaic array.

57c/kwh is what they pay you now.

(they rebate you 3 times what they charge, cause they are required to by law)

With careful energy usage, and an investment in solar gear, you can actually pay zero for your power.

A fair proportion of the increase can be attributed to the new rebate scheme.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Asininity For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (24-10-09)

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

In Victoria the government has done little planning over the last 11 years and we are paying the price via higher electricity, gas and water costs. If Rudd and Wong succeed in getting the ETS passed then gas and electricity will go up again. One report says the average power bill will increase somewhere in the region of $78 first year and by $146 in the second year .

These costs will flow through industry and raise prices on most other goods and services.

Solar is an option but to make a significant difference to your power bill you would need to have a 5 KW system or better at a capital cost of around $30k and hope your feed in covers your night time power usage.

I have a nasty feeling the ETS will be passed with a the pathetic opposition under Turnbull being too self interested to try and stop it and after which whoever is in power will be too addicted to the revenue to get rid of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Asininity View Post
    Tru are also offering 300% tariff feed in rate if you have a photovoltaic array.

57c/kwh is what they pay you now.

(they rebate you 3 times what they charge, cause they are required to by law)

With careful energy usage, and an investment in solar gear, you can actually pay zero for your power.

A fair proportion of the increase can be attributed to the new rebate scheme.
    I missed the free deal wish I had moved sooner . I thought there was a catch some where so I held off .

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

I got in on the free deal and all it has cost me for a 1 KW system is $109.00 for the co generation meter installation. At the time the install rebate was $8000 its now been reduced in this part of the country to $4400. NUEnergy are currently doing 1.52 KW systems for $2999.

I use on average 16 KW per day of electricity. I work from home so the PC and a radio are normally running all day and I try to fire off the dish washer and washing machine and dryer at night time to maximize back feed.
    Anyway during spring on a sunny day I was producing around 4 KW of electricity and over the last few weeks that has gone to around 5.7 KW of electricity.

Just looking at the power meter I've used 570 KW of power and back feed 40 KW (total generation 150 KW) so in rough terms a 1 KW system has made 150 KW and back feed 40 KW which at today's price of 16 cents equals $ 6.40

Next month the back feed tariff goes to 60 cents so it would have been $24 had it been at that rate.

During this time the 570 KW has cost me at 16 cents per KW $91.20 - The various supply charges would also be added.

The Victorian parliament found that on average a 1.5 KW system would save a house hold in total $600 per year on their bill.

I would love to ramp up my system to generate more but at around $800 per panel and plus the cost of a larger inverter the breakeven point on the investment is a long way off.

I think I would see a better return by investing on LED lighting in the future but that option is still in its infancy and the cost is too high but I can see in the future compact fluros making way for LED.

PS: NUEnurgy did a good job and returned my deposit after fitting the system. I am not sure what other supplyers are like but I am happy with NUEnergys work.
    Last edited by SystemRat; 24-10-09 at 09:58 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pieces View Post
    I missed the free deal wish I had moved sooner . I thought there was a catch some where so I held off .

you havent missed anything....since the rebate stopped the price of solar panels has plummetted....and I do mean plummettted.

700 dollar panels are now 300 dollars....what a joke.

real funny that....the installers milked it for all they could get, and then some.

it pays for itself very quickly with a 300% feed in tariff.

Also as systemrat has found, they fitted the bare minimum inverters...so no scalabiliy.

You did well to not go for the so called "freebie", it's only use is as a conscience easer for those who have NFI about it all.
    Last edited by Asininity; 24-10-09 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Asininity View Post
    you havent missed anything....since the rebate stopped the price of solar panels has plummetted....and I do mean plummettted.

700 dollar panels are now 300 dollars....what a joke.

real funny that....the installers milked it for all they could get, and then some.

it pays for itself very quickly with a 300% feed in tariff.

Also as systemrat has found, they fitted the bare minimum inverters...so no scalabiliy.

You did well to not go for the so called "freebie", it's only use is as a conscience easer for those who have NFI about it all.
    It's no Joke and had nothing to do with the installers and system sellers , The economy was booming and supply of PV panels were in short supply.
    Then the economy crashed and there was a massive over supply of PV panels due to many multi billion dollar projects being canned.

At the time people were being offered these systems with an 8K rebate the AU dollar was also around 60cents.

So manufactures reduced their prices because they were left holding millions in surplus , in the mean time due to the previous high demand manufacturing cost had also reduced bringing down the price even more , So result was cheaper panels at about the same time the subsidy was dropped , then to help even further our dollar is in the 90cent bracket now meaning another 30% saving.

overall panel pricing in the past 12 months have almost halved , although there are still a lot of retailers and suppliers out their taking advantage of people by not passing on the savings and seriously ripping people off.

As for installers fitting bare minimum inverters , this is necessary with PV inverters to get maximum efficiency , using a 2KW inverter for 1KW of panels will cost you about 11% efficiency.
    Last edited by Joey; 25-10-09 at 04:08 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

I wouldn't mind paying a little more for electricity.
    But the service charge of whatever it is, whether you use a single electron or not, is what pisses me off.

Same with water, and the same with the telephone, and the same with car registration.

Lucky I'm on the dole

Although I find it very stressing having to bullshit on the Forms so's you can afford to pay for all bullshit that you can't afford but need to survive.

I think in TOKYO they have fresh air for sale in the city area.
    Or maybe its for free.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

With the introduction of smart meters in Victoria the need for people to come and read the meter will be no more however the metering charge will increase to $98.00 last I heard. Secondly the generation capacity of the state is such that we rely on interconnect power from other states. One plan is to introduce a peak and off peak tariff so on a hot day the peak tariff will be set to deter the use of air conditioning. I can't see the powers that be setting the off peak tariff so low that there is a cost reduction for consumers on average especially when under Rudd's ETS they are being taxed more. The other thing is some of the energy producers have cut back on maintenance and investment in the current power stations again due to uncertainly re the viability of their plant under the ETS.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Some turkey determined we were not paying enough for electricity, not that the generators/suplliers were'nt making profits, just we werent paying enough for electricity.
    So up goes power by 21% and the pensioners get a $28 a YEAR, 48 cents a week ?? to help them pay for the increase.
    Pay extra to get 'Green' generated electricity, from WHERE ?
    What really pisses me off every time I see adverts for ETS or Global warming carbon emmissions is the picture of STEAM, not smoke rising from the coolant towers of a powerstation and some nitwit espousing how this is causing Global Warming.
    I have seen the inside of those coolant towers and they are giant radiators with spent steam running thru them and water is pumped over them, just like you do on an overheated car radiator.
    The liquid used inside the pipes is specially treated with all sorts of chemicals and recycled around and around from Boiler to turbine to tower to boiler.
    Just like these new u-beaut energy efficient light globes that contain all sorts of nasty materials and the batteries for these electric cars that are so toxic they are going to be an enviormental nightmare to dispose of.
    It will be interesting to see what happens if the battery pack bursts open from an accident just how long it will take for the acids to eat thru the pavement.

Thanks

Today's Adelaide Advertiser informs the electricity consumer of the $1000 extra the Electricity Trust of South Australia wants to add to every electricity account by 2015 to pay for new and replacement infrastructure.

In any business the money needed for infrastructure is supposed to come out of its profits, to be treated as a business expense, but these pricks reckon we should pay for the infrastructure without getting any equity...in other words the consumer pays for the equipment (so the buggers can charge you by its use) and the asset remains that of the business ! These pricks want the "cake and eat it too" caper.

Anecdote follows - as a sole trader I can't just jack up my prices to pay for new tools or equipment - it has to be budgeted for and paid for when possible, or I need to borrow....it's called 'building a business'.

The Advertiser reads " In July, the Australian Energy Regulator found S.A. consistently had the highest electricity prices in Australia in the ten years since the privatisation of ETSA". This wonderful 'claim to fame' is going to be reinforced by banging on another $1000 onto every account in the state....other companies in other states will see this as a precedent and the charges will be applied to these states as well.

........BUT - this increase has nothing to do with the huge increases to power charges after/when this (silly, unfair) Emissions Trading Scheme is enacted and applied.YOU will pay much more....

An example of reason - It would be a much better idea for the environment if large buildings, shopping centres etc. were to use airconditioning more efficiently - on a 40 degree day it's about 18 inside these places but when it's 12 degrees outside in winter the temperature is cranked to 25 or more - stupidly wasteful ! I would imagine the daily air conditioning energy use for a large building or shopping centre would be about what I use in a month ! Big business power costs of course will be a 'business expense' so we end up paying for that energy as well !

The Emissions Trading Scheme is not about reducing environmental carbon dioxide at all - it's a fancy scheme to shuffle money to big business from YOU !

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bulbous For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (25-10-09)

Thanks

yesterday we were prisoners in our own home with a new driveway being poured, no worries. But then in the afternoon the power company shut the street down to change a pole. So we were at home on a cracker of a day with no power.

Now it's cool these jobs have to be done, but when they give you a card in the letterbox on monday that says 'we will cut your power off this weekend on this day we say great, we'll plan our day & get some ice for all the food in the freezer.
    But, when they put another card in the letterbox on Wednesday saying we have a change of plans and we will not change the pole or cut your power off. Business as usual at home... so we thought.
    So if they want to increase the cost of power, sure let them make money but FFS give the consumer a bit of decent service and some better communication wouldn't go astray.
    iam a bogan

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mate For This Useful Post:

poiuytrewq (25-10-09)