Thread: Why is Windows 7 so expensive in Australia?

Banned
    Thanks

Default Why is Windows 7 so expensive in Australia?

Why is Windows 7 so expensive in Australia?

By Chloe Lake and Andrew Ramadge
    MICROSOFT is blaming retailers for the fact Australians are paying almost $200 more for the same version of Windows 7 as their overseas counterparts.

The price of Windows 7 in the US and UK is consistently cheaper than in Australia based on the latest currency conversion rates.

For example, an upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate costs $429 in Australia but only $US219.99 ($236) in the US – a difference of $193 for the same product.

Windows 7 Professional outright will cost Australians $449, but the US gets it for $128 less, with the retail price of $US299.99 ($322).

Elise Davidson of consumer group Choice said it wasn't the first time Australians had been slugged extra for Microsoft products.

"It was the same with Vista and what we expect will happen is that most people won't fork out for the upgrade. They'll simply wait until they get a new computer," she said.

"Australians generally don’t mind paying a little more. Most people accept we have a smaller market and a larger land mass.

But with the Aussie dollar as strong as it is now and an identical product being shipped, there is no justifiable reason for Microsoft to be charging Australian consumers almost double."

While Microsoft normally doesn't comment on price, one spokesperson told news.com.au the difference was due to retailers, not the software maker.

"We don't talk a whole lot about pricing because we don't set it, we can't set pricing, the channel sets the pricing," said Microsoft's general manager of Windows consumer marketing James DeBragga, referring to major retailers.

"Beyond just the exchange rates of the currency, it depends on the channel model... in terms of the margins that they charge and how the retailers need to make money.

"They're going to set their prices, we don't set their prices so essentially you're going to be in a pure competition model where the market will set the price and the retailers will compete against each other."

European prices are the only ones that – in some cases – exceed those in Australia.

European antitrust laws require Microsoft to offer users a choice of web browsers, meaning that the version of Windows 7 released there will be slightly different.

However Microsoft says there are no major changes.

"Aside from language nuance and localisation, it will be the exact same product," Mr DeBragga says.

Windows 7 is available to buy as a physical product or a download.

Last year, news.com.au revealed that Australians pay up to five times more for software sold as a download.

At the time, one software maker – Adobe – said local retailers set the price of its products in Australia and that its online store had been priced to support those retailers.

However Choice's Ms Davidson said that excuse – the same offered by Microsoft – wasn't good enough.

"We've been told by Microsoft that their prices vary by region based on market specific factors including the exchange rate, local taxes and duties and retailer pricing decisions," she said.

"We don't think those justifications really fly."

Ms Davidson said tougher restrictions were needed to stop regional price discrimination.

"Companies like Microsoft use technological methods to prevent Australian consumers from buying the product overseas, such as banning international IP addresses and credit card numbers," she said.

"We don't think that Microsoft, or any other company, should be allowed to use these methods to price discriminate against Australians."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c427537 For This Useful Post:

conan_oz (20-11-09),SystemRat (27-10-09)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

unlike Europe Australians heavily depend on Microsoft product. time to use alternatives. lets start with open office.

Thanks

You can buy OEMs from Aus PC Market for much cheaper than quoted above. Although you need to pick 32 or 64bit version, you don't get both. Also Aus PC Market usually ain't the cheapest, so there are others who probably have it cheaper.

eg

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit DVD, OEM boxed, for System Builder $257.40

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit DVD, OEM boxed, for System Builder $155.10

This is a brown-box product - contains COA label, CD and install guide only

May be purchased on it's own, without a system, for assembly by a System Builder

By buying this software the purchaser agrees they have qualified themselves as a "System Builder" as detailed here

The software is intended for preinstallation on a new personal computer for resale

OEM System Builder software requires the System Builder to provide end-user support for the Windows software

OEM Software cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed

To acquire Windows software with telephone/email support provided by Microsoft, you have to buy the retail pack

Thanks

wholesalers are one's making it so expensive ! in the end retailer makes shit all ! $10 ? $20 ?
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Its no wonder that piracy of Windows will continue and grow bigger.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssrattus View Post

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit DVD, OEM boxed, for System Builder $155.10
    You can get Home Premium upgrade retail version for $169 from some retailers, so the OEM doesn't seem to save much..
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

there was a thing in a top gear mag about cars , a new porsche (dunno what model) cost $318000 aud , the same model in the US cost $85000 US , always has been and always will be huge price disparity in Oz vs the rest of the world .

Thanks

I don't think the price disparity will be there forever.. we are already seeing people buy much more online from overseas. Shops here will have to compete or go out of business.

Even A Current Affair (I feel dirty just saying that) had a report the other night showing how to buy clothes overseas and featuring examples etc

If ACA re doing that, it must really be taking off.

I do take your point though. I like a certain sleep medication. In Oz, you need a script and then you get about 8 pills for $8.95

In the US, you can buy them over the counter 50 for about USD12. Which way do you think I obtain them?

I even got a 'love letter' from customs last time and they said 'nothing of interest' was found in the package.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    I don't think the price disparity will be there forever.. we are already seeing people buy much more online from overseas. Shops here will have to compete or go out of business.

Even A Current Affair (I feel dirty just saying that) had a report the other night showing how to buy clothes overseas and featuring examples etc

If ACA re doing that, it must really be taking off.

I do take your point though. I like a certain sleep medication. In Oz, you need a script and then you get about 8 pills for $8.95

In the US, you can buy them over the counter 50 for about USD12. Which way do you think I obtain them?

I even got a 'love letter' from customs last time and they said 'nothing of interest' was found in the package.
    Can you tell me what sleep medication you are referring to ?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

you can legally import 90 days supply of any medicine as long as it's not on the restricted list, eg: steroids, rohypnol...

as long as it's for personal use and not resold or given to anyone else...
    Last edited by hoe; 27-10-09 at 12:36 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's very simple. If you'll pay it, they'll charge it. It's called charging what the market will bare. Now, if you can get a significant majority to simply refuse to buy it, you might get somewhere.

In the meantime, blame everyone you know that has bought a copy. It's ultimately up to us to get serious about boycotting them.

Thanks

and where is the restricted list ?
    would love to be able to get cheaper anti epileptic drugs

Thanks

Just import it, pretty well where I have been getting everything lately.
    A bit sad really that I am not supporting local retailers, but I look after my pocket, not theirs.
    Everyone has their chance to compete in the global market.
    Last edited by rob916; 27-10-09 at 04:50 PM.
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ozchips View Post
    and where is the restricted list ?
    would love to be able to get cheaper anti epileptic drugs
    I have had no problem getting drugs in for an epileptic mate......

from here:

Code:
    https://www.alldaychemist.com/index.html
    windows 7 ulimate OEM is around $200 + shipping us on ebay usa, not a lot of difference....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Can you tell me what sleep medication you are referring to ?
    Sure.. diphenhydramine.

You can get them in Oz

However, only with paracetamol (ew) and you have to fill in a special form and you get 20 for about $12 inc postage.

Or you can buy them over fleabay for about USD12 for 50-80.

Thanks

thanks HOE, must be a prob my end, site times out...

edit: NFI, working now... the medication I was looking for aint there though.
    Last edited by z1gg33; 27-10-09 at 08:13 PM.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

Yes, alot of windows applications are quite expensive in Australia. Unlike in Europe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Be sure to buy some mephedrone too lads before it's too late.

Thanks

MICROSOFT is facing a revolt from its most important local technology retail partner, Harvey Norman, over its international pricing policy for its month-old Windows 7 operating system.

The retailer has called on Microsoft to change its international pricing policy for the operating system to allow it to compete with retailers potentially sourcing genuine copies of the software from markets where retail prices for Windows 7 are set at less than half those in Australia.

Luke Naish, head of Harvey Norman's computers and communications division, wants local Windows prices to line up with other markets.

"We would like to support Microsoft on a local level, but we would like greater price alignments between the markets to remain competitive within our own market," Mr Naish said.

"Retailers are caught in a bind to support Microsoft on a local level or to seek alternative versions of Windows 7 at a cheaper cost from overseas.