Thread: Michael Jackson's This Is It

Thanks

Default Michael Jackson's This Is It

"Like you've never seen him before." "Discover the man you never knew." These taglines must have been lifted from some marketing textbook somewhere because they bear no relation to the content of this film. What is presented is exactly the man we knew, exactly as we've seen him before. The film does nothing to vanquish the image of the unpersonable yet undeniably talented automaton with a firm detachment from reality, it merely confirms it.

With no clear input into the film aside from allowing the cameras to be pointed at him, This Is It is a behind-the-scenes expose of the concert but, unfortunately, not of the man. We don't see Jackson relating to anyone on a personal level. What we want to see is that there is something beyond the man we see in the tabloids; an actual human. But he never let's his guard down; never lets his mask slip. We don't see the man, we only see the performer. Maybe the performer is the man? Given that Jackson has been performing since he could recite his ABC's, this may well be the case. What we get, however, is a slightly loathsome "Church Of Michael" feel about the production and if that doesn't make you feel nauseous then the cloying sentimentality of the post credits sequence certainly will.

The film is loosely structured into the form of the intended concert and from what we see here, had the shows gone ahead this would no doubt have made a spectacular concert movie. Certain scenes betray the original intention to release the concert film in 3D, and there was brief talk of this film receiving the same treatment, but ultimately the available 3D sequences were too few to justify it. It's a pity because this at least may have made the film a worthwhile cinematic experience. As it is, this roughly cobbled together montage of HD and SD rehearsal footage struggles (and ultimately fails) to meet the minimum requirements expected of a cinematic presentation, being more at home as "extra features" on a DVD.

The King Of Pop is dead but the merchandise juggernaut rolls on. It's difficult not to be cynical of the true purpose of this cash-in, it's clear intention being to milk the rehearsal footage of the lost concert tour prior to it's inevitable DVD and BD release. The footage is not without worth, however; far from it, in fact. The film confirms what a unique creature Michael Jackson was. Nobody moved quite like Jackson. Nobody sounded quite like him either. That his infectious brand of pop inspired two generations of budding performers is undeniable and the footage presented confirms why. It's just that the material will be put to much better use in future films about the man than it is here. Had the producers not been in such a rush to push this content into the (paying) public realm; in such a dash to redeem the cash lost on the subsequent concert series; to catch the current wave of Jackson mania before it dissipates, this could have been that film; this could indeed have been "It". Ironically, the determination by others to build their fortunes on his popularity probably is the story of the man. I guess there's some unintended subtext to the movie in that regard.

6 out of 10.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to slickstu For This Useful Post:

allover (01-11-09),bigfella08 (04-11-09),OSIRUS (31-12-09),REG (01-11-09),urban_s0ulja (01-11-09),z1gg33 (01-11-09)

Look Here ->

Thanks

sounds like "ching ching" to me from MJ estate... must have a look now!
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

SlickStu, has it spot on.

I will only add that not being a MJ fan, I actually (sadly/embarrassingly) did enjoy this.
    I think that based on the fact that MJ for the last decade has had nothing but bad press I got the feeling that, they wanted to AT LEAST show him in a positive light.

Initially I was thinking what a weirdo, whom at 50 looks and dances like that, but you do tend to get into it, and wonder if he is/was in fact an entertainment genius (or a complete NUTTER!).

I would not have gone to his show, but it does come across as something of a real production.

I personally would have liked to seen interviews with him, but I guess that was never going to happen - and perhaps it was for the best

Strangely enough, I did laugh at the fact that this footage was meant to be MJ's personal home made movie. Now, I am not sure about you, but if I make a home made movie, that does not usually include 2+ camera men, plus sound guys.
    Then again I guess with 500+ million your home made movies could as well!

Liked it more than I thought I would.
    Last edited by z1gg33; 31-12-09 at 02:17 PM.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.