Thread: VoIP and Wireless Handsets

Thanks

Default VoIP and Wireless Handsets

Hey Everybody

I'm looking into setting up a VoIP server for internal use...

Here's my current scenerio:
    * I have
    - 2 Dedicated Analogue "in" lines
    - 1 Fax line and;
    - 1 VoIP Subscription.
    - 8 Analogue Extensions through an old as hell PBX
    - 1 phone for the VoIP line
    - 1 fax which is also occasionally used for an outgoing line.

So I was hoping to use the following to meet my needs
    - A Digium TDM880BF Card (8 x FXS, 0 x FXO)
    - A Digium TDM804BF (4 x FXO, Allowing for Upgrades)
    - 3.0GHz, 2Gb Mem, Basic PC
    - 7 Analogue Phones (Already in use)
    - 2 LinkSys WIP310 Wireless IP Phone (Already have existing Wi-Fi G coverage throughout the area of need)
    - Asterisk Telephony software run on Fedora (My preferred linux breed)

How does that all sound??

Cheers
    Gitch

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Sounds great mate

Another alt. to using the wireless IP phones maybe using cordless phones with a ATA?

Please update on progress as you go.

What enviroments your install for?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urban_s0ulja View Post
    Sounds great mate

Another alt. to using the wireless IP phones maybe using cordless phones with a ATA?

Please update on progress as you go.

What enviroments your install for?
    Thanks urban_s0ulja!

I did consider using Cordless phones but I am after something that will cover about about 500m radius from the central unit... I am aware there are industrial cordless phones that will accomplish this - but from my research they are around the $2000 for just one hand piece and about $500 for extra handsets. I understand there may be problems with roaming within the network, but at worst case I will look at redoing the WLAN for using external antennas to reduce the need for roaming. I will probably need to reconfigure and re-establish the WLAN anyway...

The install is to be used in a resort that is in the process of expanding... And they will also be looking into call based charging later down the track also.

The project will depend on the customers budget, but hopefully it goes ahead - and I'll keep all informed. So, feel free to comment and make suggestion - both good and the bad

Cheers

Thanks

My only concern would be reliability and also if someone wants to come in after you to do upgrades / repairs.

Thats why suprisingly alot of businesses are still sticking to the off the shelf solutions.

Have you got much experience setting up asterisk?

Thanks

I will admit, it will be my first attempt with an Asterix system... And unless I get divorced I see no problems with me providing support - Yep, it’s the in-laws again...

Furthermore (as my standard operations) I will be documenting all configuration settings so as somebody else can provide support. and in addition, I will also be configuring a second system (without the TDM Gateway cards) and will have a standby FXO module available. I think that should suffice for most failure accounts at a reduced capacity bar complete destruction.

Thanks

Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gitch View Post
    I will admit, it will be my first attempt with an Asterix system... And unless I get divorced I see no problems with me providing support - Yep, it’s the in-laws again...

Furthermore (as my standard operations) I will be documenting all configuration settings so as somebody else can provide support. and in addition, I will also be configuring a second system (without the TDM Gateway cards) and will have a standby FXO module available. I think that should suffice for most failure accounts at a reduced capacity bar complete destruction.
    Good to see proper documentation! lol
    Makes things easier for everyone, even yourself if you have to do maintence in the future.

I would suggest setting up a test lab first and having a play. Its been a while since i set mine up, but have a look at trixbox. Its a all in one solution and there is plenty of info available online.

Thanks

As this is in a business environment, the other essential item I would add to the hardware list is a good UPS (if not already utilised).

I had the same thoughts with using cordless phones, as you have asterisk already at work. Are you getting anything significantly better with the Linksys cordless VOIP phones?

Also as a by-product of your documentation, you should be setting up service level agreements, or specifically disaster recovery if things go totally pear-shaped (the pesimist in me!) and prey you never need to use it
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

Good to see proper documentation! lol
    Makes things easier for everyone, even yourself if you have to do maintence in the future.

I would suggest setting up a test lab first and having a play. Its been a while since i set mine up, but have a look at trixbox. Its a all in one solution and there is plenty of info available online.
    Haha!! Yeah I discovered the hard way about not documenting everything properly... Can save you many days and if not weeks of work already accomplished

I will be setting it up in a test scenario before putting live... Just waiting to get a more confident funding answer before I start aquiring the hardware...

Quote Originally Posted by porkchops View Post
    As this is in a business environment, the other essential item I would add to the hardware list is a good UPS (if not already utilised).

I had the same thoughts with using cordless phones, as you have asterisk already at work. Are you getting anything significantly better with the Linksys cordless VOIP phones?

Also as a by-product of your documentation, you should be setting up service level agreements, or specifically disaster recovery if things go totally pear-shaped (the pesimist in me!) and prey you never need to use it
    Thanks porkie, I will be using a UPS and as a worst case scenario good old analogue phones will be available on hot stand-by in the cupboard hidden under all the crap...

There isn't an asterisk setup at the moment - just the option I was pushing for... And the reason I have choosen to go with the Linksys IP phones is because the WLAN already covers the required area, thus the costing was going to cheaper with IP Phones and will allow for expansion...

Cheers

Thanks

Well, after coming up with an initial quote my client has decided to put the project on hold for the moment - damn it!!

More time now for research rather than some get in and go... Might even try and set a home system up instead now

Thanks for all your input though guys - greatly appreciated

Cheers

Thanks

Do you know what might be a better idea?
    If they have budget constraints.
    Implement the system gradually....