Thread: The Gemini 4.30 to 4.31 issue

Thanks

Default The Gemini 4.30 to 4.31 issue

Gemini users,
    I've never spoke out before, but, I think there's something you should be aware of about Gemini, concerning their recent reversal, on the DM clone issue. Surely all the back story has not been exposed yet. So, I offer for you amusement, what little I've discovered to date, and allow you to draw your own conclusions. Don't let my comments alone sway you, your invited to look for yourselves.
    Gemini's product is being exploited for sales, in new DM clone units, that are entering the market from China. It's unclear weather the image, is being loaded at the factory, or at the dealer level. However, for this reason, Gemini has a valid complaint, as a Copy Write violation. But, because of the nature of their software being considered in somewhat of a gray market area, and that, the Chinese, do not respect (or selectively respect) international copy write law, it's unlikely Gemini would be able to pursue such a course of action, to any satisfactory end.
    Now, in version 4.30, Gemini adds a DOS MAC attack, to their image (the “Blue panel” access issue), that did not discriminate properly, between clone, and non-clone units, as they've states. Or, other receivers, that are capable of using Gemini's product (yes, there was a “Crack” published, but this was not the full reason for their reversal).
    My original thoughts here were, it was simply sour grapes on Gemini's behalf. But, since this did not affect the factory, or, those dealers. And since it was an attack directed at the consumer, to detect and deny, future access to Gemini support by clone units. I feared it could be far more sinister.
    This appears to be an attempt to harvest MAC addresses, from as many units as possible, who log onto their site for support. What ever their plan were for the collected MAC addresses, it appears to show a pattern of predatory behavior, and creates security issues for consumers, neither of which should be tolerated. Due to the publics clamor, Gemini pulled and replaced version 4.30, with version 4.31, and stated, it is clear of the clone attack routine. But, they have not given a full explanation of their actions, apologized properly to the consumer for their conduct, or, promised that in the future, we will never see another such occurrence as this again.
    The Clone issue is Dream Multimedias problem to deal with, and theirs alone. It's a patten infringement issue, with their Asian outsource manufacturing partners. The clones in question more than likely come from this source.
    The public should be made aware of these issues, and be wary of Gemini, until Gemini again shows the proper respect for the consumer, and learns to maintain neutrality, on clone / non-clone issues.

Thanks
    IMnobody

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IMnobody View Post
    Gemini users,
    I've never spoke out before,

An Urban Myth in the making.

But what the heck it makes great light hearted reading and a few here wondered why I was LOL at this time of the morning.

If you like I will go point by point and explain why I say this

Thanks

Jonc,
    It's a moot point really, now that Gemini's replaced it with version 4.31.
    And, there was a crack out within a few hours of it's discovery.
    But, it took the voices of a bunch of angry users, to forced Gemini to shift gears.
    Gemini has a copyrite issue, enough said. So, they attack users? Where's the logic, and, what gives them the right to preform such an action in the first place? The clone issue is purely Dream Multi-media's problem to deal with, not Gemini's.
    But, this attack shows a disregard and disrespect for users of Gemini's product.
    By collecting MAC addresses, they could effectively blacklist any unit they wish, to deny service access to the "Blue" panel features of their image. Not just clones but, IE: Triple Dragon, DGStation, ITgate, or, any other receiver capable of using their image, whenever they wish.
    At no point has Gemini apologize for their actions, nor, offer any assurance to the public these actions would never occur again. Which is why, I'm up in arms, it sets a bad president. Leaving the door open for any Image writer to attack receivers (clones, or not), when their suppose to remain neutral and benevolent entities.
    Here's a chance to send that message, by exposing Gemini's poor judgment.
    And, until Gemini complies, the consumer still needs to be aware of these facts.

I hope that clears it up for you. And next time, try responding to threads in the order they are posted.

IMnobody

Thanks

Well really the blue panel is their download server.....if they aren't happy about something or wish to restrict access I think they are with their rights to restrict access to it. It's their kettle of fish....complaints and whinging could end up with them saying bye bye.

The image still worked....just no downloads. Again it is a moot subject, but the way I read it linux is free but access to their server doesn't have to be. Like Hydra images....there is no download server for it anymore but you are free to create your own download server for it.

Remember also, we the consumers are all too aware we are buying cloned equipment from china....not from DMM so to me it I'm not suprised Gemini spat the dummy. The chinese are making money directly from their work. DMM units came with their own images installed not Gemini.

Thanks

Maybe they will be telling us to all wear CONDOMS when watching a Gemini TV image,

so that we are squeaky clean and honest like they and DMM are?