Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TOMTOM 7.915 with Australia Map 830.2290 + Voices + POI + Speedcam - TUTORIAL

Thanks

bloody woman !

Thanks

I have just purchased one of the 'cheap Chinese' GPS units with pre-installed aviation GPS software (UK). I am now trying to get it to run TomTom, and found your information. I have followed your directions, and now have the Navigator folder on the unit's SD card plus for now the Australia map folder - if I can get this working I'll need to find a UK map. The version I downloaded is 7.915.9196. System is CE Version 5.00 (Build 1400).

I've installed CECMD and can get to the Navigator folder on screen via 'My Device'. When I try to run TomTom Navigator.exe I get the following error: "Cannot find 'TomTom Navigator' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available."

The files in Navigator apart from the exe are: BtCoreIf.dll / BtSdkCE30.dll / data.chk / ttn6bt2003.dll / TTToday.dll.

Please can you offer any advice?

Thanks

click on the link in my signature and go to tomtom for CE ... that should work

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. That is where I downloaded from, I've fetched another copy and will see what happens. I am beginning to suspect lack of SD disk space is the cause of the error. I do actually have a proper copy of TomTom 6, however it kept on failing with an error that the main cab file was not compatible. That is when I came across your post, which is really useful! Anyway, more digging around suggested using a second cab file in the folder instead, so I renamed and this time it said there isn't enough space. There's actually 1GB free which I thought would be enough (UK maps are about 120MB), but just in case I've ordered a bigger SD.

Regards.
    Peter.

Thanks

Question Tom Tom on L35 install help

Ok have done everything that says my L35 is running ce5 with win mobile on main computer so i can do the internal folders
    what i have done

1 copy over qvga.7.915.9196.black to folder extacted to sd card rename tom tom to Mobile navagator exe put maps over to card
    problem is that file qvga wont extract any files extra files i need to run tom tom tried on main computer (win 7) it says not vaild app
    so iam at a loss where to go now

Please Help

Many Thanks
    Steve

Thanks

the cab files are for windows mobile, not CE

Thanks

Hello there,

I in the process of trying to run the Tomtom gps software on a ebay GPS but when I get to your part:

5) Go to file explorer (or equivalent) of your device and go to Navigator folder that you copied over in step 2, now start TomTom with Navigator.exe, this is to generate the needed files and folders to proceed with the next step - now exit tomtom
    The GPS CE5 comes up with a error with a big cross and nothing happens...

Edit: ahh I see your link are pointing to the wrong pages between windows mobile and CE.
    Last edited by Gazzer; 23-01-10 at 02:26 AM.

Thanks

never seen that big cross before.... but did the bif file get created ?

Thanks

I've downloaded the files again, and followed your procedures to the letter. I'm using qvga-blue. When I click on the exe in the Navigator folder on the GPS unit I still get the same error (Cannot find....). I'm now using a larger memory card so I know there's plenty of space. I listed the other 5 files in the directory in my previous append, please can you confirm if the list is correct? Thanks.

Regards.
    Peter.

Thanks

the dll's and other files are correct.... the out of memory error does not mean there is not enough space on your memory card, its actully ram.... tomtom is hard to get working on old devices....

what device are u using ? windows mobile ?

Thanks

I've given up on TomTom. There seem to be just too many variables... The unit is I think an anglicised 'cheap Chinese' unit - screen 4.3/4" diagonal, black fascia, orange band around the outside, WinCE 5. I tried Ig08 from your list and it worked first time with the Australian map. I'm now trying to find a compatible UK map (turning it upside down didn't work ;-) ).

Thanks

Followed your directions, however the tom-tom software says it cannot find the GPS. I am using one of those cheap Chinese All-In-one DVD Bluetooth GPS units. Any ideas?

Thank you for the tutorial BTW.

Russell

Thanks

do you mean it can't find a gps receiver ?
    try chaning the settings in the gps to the correct port and baud rate and choose the correct device....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
    do you mean it can't find a gps receiver ?
    try chaning the settings in the gps to the correct port and baud rate and choose the correct device....
    What settings for the gps did you use on your chinese radio all in one?

Thanks

ralbright, it doesn't matter what settings i used... yours will/may be different..
    try them all, there are not that many...

as soon as you choose the correct one you will know... it will show some blue bars and you will get some numbers on thes screen

Thanks

You know.... There are times that a person can really feel dumb. Right now is one of those times. I found where to change the GPS settings (I didn't look hard enough, sorry Hollowman).

So now TomTom is running quite well on my cheap chinese all-in-one radios, it gets its first GPS fix in about 15-20 seconds and updates well enough that it shows where I am. However I have a new wrinkle in this setup, one that yes I did search for but haven't found a viable solution to yet.

About 45 seconds after my last tap on the screen, the screen appears to freeze (stops doing map updates), but if I tap the screen, it 'wakes' up and goes back to tracking. I have read in other places that this is a result of the power settings in the Windows CE control panel. So I set everything to always on (or I assume the equivalent of that as it is in Chinese). But that does not seem to stop this freezing problem.

Any ideas on how to fix this little wrinkle? Because it is just driving me up the wall now.

Thank you for all of your help.

Russell

Thanks

haha, as long as you admit your dumb lol, just kidding !

umm what baud setting you got set ? maybe its to high ?
    try going one lower.... so for example, if its 9600 go down to 4800

Thanks

*Takes a bow*

Don't you just hate it after you post a question to a forum you suddenly get a stray thought about why don't you look here. I figured out what the problem was, I remembered that you cannot always adjust all of the settings needed from the power control panel. Because the Windows CE OS is normally so heavily reliant on battery power in has a countdown from last input till it will enter an idle state. In this case the first idle state is to turn off the GPS receiver. And the only way to disable this feature is from within the registry.

Word of warning, be EXTREMELY CAREFUL what you do to the registry, there is a very real chance of bricking your unit!!!! You have been warned!!!

Inside the registry I found a lot of cool things that could be modified, some of these things were the volume of that horrible thump that comes out of the speakers when you are clicking on buttons on the touchscreen, and the power settings that caused the TomTom to freeze up. I am very happy that now my cheap chinese all in one radio is now about 95% operational to my standards. (only thing left is to figure out how to pair my phone to the bluetooth which is giving me a lot of troubles.)

If anyone wants the places where certain things can be modified, post a reply and I will track down some interesting variables that can be changed.

Here is a neat registry editor for Windows CE:

Have a great day everyone.

Russell
    Last edited by ralbright; 24-02-10 at 04:46 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ralbright For This Useful Post:

skitzyrex (16-07-10)

Thanks

good work russell, you continue to answer your own questions hehehe..
    it was clever of you to figure this out, and thanks, coz this will help others.
    however others may as "what did you change in the registry" as im sure your not the only one with this problem.... which key/path did you modify?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

Instead of using an Editor you can make all these changes in form of a script (mortscript) and use if when the corresponding software is started.
    If you don't need the changes to be permanently you can revert them back in the same.
    Good thing about it : you can use the same script on almost any device.
    I might be able to find some complete scripts for the power settings if you want.
    Mortscript is well documented and easy to use - they make competitions too where they make complete programs.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

• Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast