Thread: DIY Foxtel IQ

Thanks

Default DIY Foxtel IQ

Hi All

I am very new to the whole satellite thing so sorry if this is newbie question. I have recently moved out of home and belive it or not right next door to the parents... has its pros and cons.
    While at the parents I had foxtel installed and had two iq boxes. My old man is a sparky and we cabled up my house including fitting a sat dish its 65cm dish and i have an acer dual lnb think its 10700, now i pointed the sat dish the same as the parents and tried out an IQ box but no signal is being detected according to the iq setup(zero signal strength) i have tested the lines and its all good, im guessing my lnb may be dead can i assume that even if it was pointing in slightly the wrong direction i would still get some form of signal?
    is there anyway to test the lnb? (if thats an issue)

any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

You cant just roughly aim a dish , it is a very precise thing. Have you aligned it with a satellite meter ?

Thanks

no i was thinking of getting one if i cant work it out as that would definatly tell me if there is a signal wouldnt it?

Basically since our houses are next to each other i took a magnetic compass and took the reading of the dish on my parents then got the degrees elevation and the lnb degrees so i would think it would be pretty close at the very least get a week signal but the iq box under testing shows no signal what so ever and there should be a bar from red to green showing the signal strength. but as i said i am new to this so my assumtions could be totally off

Thanks

1 degree off left/ right/ up/ down and u get nuttin.

Thanks

best thing (or easiest) would be to put dual lnb on your dads dish and run a cable accross the yard to your place..... Might not be the best method but would get u outa trouble til you align your dish properly

Thanks

It can be very frustrating aligning your first dish... Get a meter and turn it down so you can't hear the buzzing. Then point the dish north. Move dish up and down. If you don't hear a buzzing then move a fracker anti clockwise and try again.. When you hear buzzing try and get full meter signal, then turn down meter till half way and try and align to get full meter again so you are fine tuning. Check you IQ, if you have signal you have right satellite, if not try again for the next satellite. Buy you sat meter from jaycar for $40.. Good luck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

You can pick up a sat meter for near nothing on Ebay ( $20 ).

Based on what you have said , your dish is not aligned. As Farmsky said , one degree out and you get nothing. Its not as easy as you think.

If you are prepared to buy a sat meter I am sure we can talk you through the process of finding the satellite.

Thanks

Thanks Everyone, i think thatsa a plan, i will get a sat meter and have a crack at finding it. Will let you know how i go

Cheers

Thanks

in reference to the above issue. if the situation was a hard cabled foxtel in the house and an extra box was supplied by foxtel but rather running more cables instead doing a satellite set up at the granny flat would it work with the extra box they supply.

we have the above problem