Thread: Heat stressed LNB's on Satelitte Internet.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Heat stressed LNB's on Satelitte Internet.

I have just received an email from my server to advise me that I and others 'MAY' experience connection problems due to the LNB exceeding its 50C operational parameters during hot spells.
    I got this same email last year but I dont think it was this early into the summer.
    We all understand the problem but what annoys me is that all the advise I have is to 'Shut it down'.
    If Global warming is now a fact of life and all the 'Experts' are saying Summers are getting hotter, what is being done by the manufactures to reduce heat stress on this equipment ?
    Australia is not the only country in the world to have extreme Summer Temps so does this mean that Satelitte communications are going to be interupted Globaly because the LNB's are overheating?
    PayTV or passive receive only LNB's most likely wont have as bad a problem with heat as those LNB's that have a transmitter generating heat inside the case.
    I can reach my internet dish with a hose so I could direct a fine spray of water onto the LNB if it starts to really play up but I wont be standing out there all damned day.
    My ISP like most is only an Onseller of the service and has no part of the instalation or equipment but they are quite happy to receive money from me so as far as I am concerned instead of just shrugging their shoulders,they can help find a solution to this problem.
    I will have no problem complaining to the Communications Omsbudman and I suggest other Satelitte and Wireless Internet users keep notes on dropouts and consider making a complaint if the problem gets untenable during the summer.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 21-11-09 at 12:21 PM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I have recently replaced my sat dish 11300 LNB which struggled with the heat. If the temperature went over about 33-34 degrees I would lose the picture. I could turn the hose on it for 5 minutes which would make it work for about 30 minutes

No problems with the new Sharp 10700 , its had a workout over the last 2 weeks. I wouldnt worry too much unless it starts affecting you directly.

Thanks

I've only had Activ8me for a bit over a month now, but yesterday with shade temperatures over 44c the system kept losing contact with the satellite.

Not surprising when you think that the dish is designed to focus on the LNB. And once a day the sun is almost directly in front of the dish.

Addition:
    I've been thinking that if this becomes a problem I might make a 70% shade cloth sock for it.
    Last edited by BlackDuck; 21-11-09 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Addition.

Premium Member

Thanks

Sanity, the size and material used between a Sharp PayTV LNB and these Transmitter Internet types is totaly different.
    The Sharp is probably 2/3 ds smaller, rounder and made of a plastic compound where the transmitter LNB is in an aluminium case with a large flat area that faces the sun like a solar panel.
    Although there is ribbing for heat disipation, the case must get hot as the sun passes over as well as the heat from the transmitter inside.
    According to the email, the location on the roof for free air flow plus what your roof is made of, ie Tin or tiles for reflecting heat up to the LNB all contributes to the problem.
    Then you have the time of day when the sun lines up directly behind the satelitte which theres not much you can do about that.
    But I still think that a heat shield could be placed over that flat area to minimise the sun hitting it full on.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I realise they are not the same LNB's , but its the nature of the beast with satellite of any kind unfortunately. Rain fade and solar flare affect accessing satellite services numerous times each year and with Satellite internet you can also have the issue of high latency.

Most LNBs are only good for X amount of years before needing replacement in Australia due to our high summer temperatures , even in the southern states.

Thanks

Manufacture issue for sure? how many set topbox power supply fail as well in high temp.?many!even PC..got a shed full of all!dead lnb,setop box an pc fail ps from heat.
    makes me wonder also on those close to the equator an high temp. year round?

Premium Member

Thanks

After more than 10 years of PayTV, 20 months of Satelitte Internet I am cognizant with the problems of 'latency' and how it effects my connections here.
    This morning around 11am I tried to download a 9 mb email. It said it would take over 90 minutes to do so.
    The other text smaller emails were slow to download too'
    I went outside and saw at that time the flat top of the LNB was angled directly under the Sun.
    When I retried 2 hours later, the email downloaded in under 4 minutes.
    There is little we can do about rain fade and solar flare effects except for increasing power output and frequency management but heat from the sun on the ground?? yes we can !!
    I still say the actual design of this Internet LNB could be improved as it seems the later ones used for PaYTV have been.
    I have 5 old LNB's here,all made of a metal alloy, all have a long flat top and are rectangular block shaped whereas the new ones are now synthetic, rounder torpedo shaped which presents less flat surfaces to the sun.
    Those with dual connections are narrower on top and the sides are better angled than a dual I bought about 4 years ago.
    They havent changed the appearance of these LNB's for asthetic reasons as who sees them stuck up on the dish? Rather I believe for the very practical reason to extend their working life by redesigning the case.
    Its this very reason why I believe my satelitte internet LNB could do with a Mod Job to minimise heat stress.