Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GPRS rumor

Thanks

Ok, then let's hear about how there is NO server/3rd party hardware at any Optus data centre where comms logs could ever - repeat - EVER - possibly be doctored to misrepresent the actual data sent to a CMS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Ok, then let's hear about how there is NO server/3rd party hardware at any Optus data centre where comms logs could ever - repeat - EVER - possibly be doctored to misrepresent the actual data sent to a CMS.
    Has anyone experienced/suspected first hand this type of scenario from SCSI?
    Last edited by balun; 02-12-09 at 08:38 PM. Reason: suspect

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by balun View Post
    I understood your post, u are plainly saying there is no need for a fudgy wudgy server as the alterations can be done at the control room end.
    Balun, the fact that I used the term "fudgy wudgy" should be ample indication not to take my post too seriously. As I said, I don't think you understand.

There are any number of ways such a vast conspiracy could be achieved. From "fudgy wudgy" servers in the middle or at the end, bodgey dodgey logs in the control room and yucky mucky certificates which can be used in the (non) ridgy didgy marketing.

I do hope that clarifies my position.

Ahem.

As to your subsequent question:
    Has anyone experienced/suspected first hand this type of scenario from SCSI?
    There's a huge gap between "experiencing" and having definitive evidence of something, versus "suspecting" something. Hence my reference to a conspiracy theory, albeit a fabulous conspiracy theory.

If someone suspects something, and can subsequently prove it, I say bring it on, name names and put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise, it's (at best) hearsay and scuttlebutt and (at worst) more likely libel. You can scroll up for my views on muckraking.

My only contribution to the discussion was in terms of how 'direct' is "direct", and I've made my point.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 02-12-09 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Hooley Dooley

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    There's a huge gap between "experiencing" and having definitive evidence of something, versus "suspecting" something. Hence my reference to a conspiracy theory, albeit a fabulous conspiracy theory.

If someone suspects something, and can subsequently prove it, I say bring it on, name names and put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise, it's (at best) hearsay and scuttlebutt and (at worst) more likely libel. You can scroll up for my views on muckraking.

My only contribution to the discussion was in terms of how 'direct' is "direct", and I've made my point.
    well I will put my foot forward for the "ägainst" side in regards to the rumor:

I have over 200 SCSI units in the field and have never suspected anything along the lines of what is being suggested.

Thanks

Does the SCSI solution send out polls from the CMS or does the DW unit send heartbeats to the CMS ?

I don't understand. What possible reason could there be for SCSI to "generate" fake polls or heartbeats as is being rumoured ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IPAlarms View Post
    Does the SCSI solution send out polls from the CMS or does the DW unit send heartbeats to the CMS ?
    The DW unit sends polls (E603) to CMS server in Optus data centre which in turn sends them to the CMS receiver. No third party hardware is involved, all hardware belongs to SCSI. Every CMS has two servers Sydney, Melbourne in the Optus data centre's. Some other products have one server that all comms transverse through.

Quote Originally Posted by IPAlarms View Post
    I don't understand. What possible reason could there be for SCSI to "generate" fake polls or heartbeats as is being rumoured ?
    There is no reason other than scare mongering from competitors, who are jealous, that SCSI is way ahead of them in technology.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitech View Post
    There is no reason other than scare mongering from competitors, who are jealous, that SCSI is way ahead of them in technology.
    Pretty much sums it up and has always been the case. gutless really.

Its like saying a major telco is listening in to everyday phonecalls in order to access credit card numbers and selling them to the romanian mafia.

lets all make up pie in the sky crap.

Thanks

On the one hand:
    Quote Originally Posted by No Brainer
    DW Signals Do Not - I repeat Do Not, transverse through some middle man server
    Got that? Good.

But wait:
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwitech View Post
    The DW unit sends polls (E603) to CMS server in Optus data centre which in turn sends them to the CMS receiver.
    Direct? Not Direct? Fudgy Wudgy (boogedy boogedy boogedy). Perhaps we can put it to a vote? :-)

Excuse me, but I hadn't personally heard any scare mongering from any vendor. I wonder if you are simply shadow-boxing a bogeyman that isn't there. I only read this sort of thing for the first time right here, in some cases by people with an obvious vested interest. Moreover, there are manifestly false statements being made here (albeit probably due to technical naivety more than malice) and there were several digs at competing products earlier in the thread. So before anyone gets too self-righteous, it would seem there's plenty of blame to go around.

I don't think any part of this entire discussion is especially useful.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 03-12-09 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks

Kiwitech has good intentions but the whole network infrastructure has changed dramatically from the days when he worked for SCSI...The signals go to the CMS direct and are processed in a very different manner to when kiwitech was involved. I must update him next time he drops in for a coffee.

To answer IpAlarms question, the field units poll in and are return acknowledged by the CMS Receivers. For Dan's benefit the polls do not transverse through middle man servers, are numbered and have audit trails available.

Look this is healthy discussion but at the end of the day we are just addressing rumour started by a company who is in a lot of difficulty and who, at the end of the day have not even complied with the directions of the Supreme court. If we look at the facts we must look at what can be proven and the orders of the Supreme Court are not a laughing matter and are quite clear. The rumourmongers are just out to stir up as much dirt as they can, nothing more nothing less, helped along by persons who, given their positions held with the Australian Security Industry, should know better.

The whole rumour thing attacks the whole integrity of SCSI and as Kiwi said are pushed along by those who are not in the same league, but wish they were
    Last edited by No Brainer; 04-12-09 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks

downunderdan.. In one hand you say you have not heard any scare mongering. Then in the other hand you say it is fudgy wudgy, and want to put it to the vote. This is not a democracy, but a discussion. The way I see it is either enlighten as all, by putting up or shut up.

Thanks

Excuse me, but I hadn't personally heard any scare mongering from any vendor. I wonder if you are simply shadow-boxing a bogeyman that isn't there.
    Oh - he's there.... and there's more than one bogeyman.

Moreover, there are manifestly false statements being made here (albeit probably due to technical naivety more than malice)
    Sorry Dan - it's pure malice.

This forum crashed about a year ago and newcomers wouldn't believe the crap that was thrown around pre-crash. The place has quietened down a lot since then but threads like this pop up occasionally and are monitored closely by the mods. Mud slinging is nothing new on here.

No Brainer has provided the technical answers for me to make up my mind and hopefully most others too.

Thanks

But wait:

Direct? Not Direct? Fudgy Wudgy (boogedy boogedy boogedy). Perhaps we can put it to a vote? :-)
    Dan, with Kiwitech's comments and you now believing that you have unveiled the Holy Grail of conspiracy...I would like to clarify the following.

When Kiwitech worked for SCSI, some two and a half years back (boy time flies) - DW advertising material stated the following:-

"There are two GPRS registration servers hosted at Optus EXPAN Grade 1 Data Centres providing redundant primary and secondary communications"

So Kiwitech was correct in what he was saying...just a little outdated.

Since Kiwitech moved on and the whole DirectWireless system has been redesigned, the DW advertising material now states :-

"With Frame Relay connection, DirectWireless delivers a true end-to-end solution. There are two dedicated 'always on' GPRS gateways located in the Monitoring Station and also an optional third GSM path providing a DTMF gateway as back up"

So if the rumourmongers believe that the advertising is false then please report to the ACCC, I guarantee you will only be wasting their time.

With the network being "duplicated and dedicated', network redundancy allows for signals to be routed via Melb or Sydney...so if Melb gets hit by an atom bomb then your signals will go via Sydney and vice versa...what a great selling point !!

Thanks

Dont tell me this thread has been revived !!
    The GPRS / SCSSI / DW bull sh1T arguements caused a lot of arguements here two years ago.
    I even stopped visiting here as did a heap of excellant techs, even the owners of austech (at the time) had a gutfull

Fok Sake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by No Brainer View Post
    Dan, with Kiwitech's comments and you now believing that you have unveiled the Holy Grail of conspiracy...I would like to clarify the following.
    I'll stop you there, No Brainer.

Balun, and subsequently Kiwitech badly missed my point, most of which was pure pisstaking. Given that I am a fairly capable writer, I would have thought nobody could actually take seriously my references to "Fudgy Wudgy". Apparently some people do. Wait till I tell them about the oogedy boogedy systems currently flooding the marketplace...

I am not trying to stir any pot, nor chase any conspiracy, particularly with respect to systems of which I have no personal experience. I think some people need a Bex and a good lie down.

That is, you can leave me out of it.

I did get into a semantic discussion about direct signals, but I've said my piece and its not an attack on the technology per se, rather some hyperbole surrounding the comments made about it.

Based on the article posted on the SCSI website, it would seem your beef is with Securenet.

So I am unclear then why Emizon copped a bit of flak earlier in the thread, and said as much at the time.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 07-12-09 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks

I'll stop you there, No Brainer.

Balun, and subsequently Kiwitech badly missed my point, most of which was pure pisstaking. Given that I am a fairly capable writer, I would have thought nobody could actually take seriously my references to "Fudgy Wudgy". Apparently some people do. Wait till I tell them about the oogedy boogedy systems currently flooding the marketplace...
    I does not matter how you articulate sentences. the underlying message is still received.

Thanks

Based on the article posted on the SCSI website, it would seem your beef is with Securenet.
    There is no beef other than a substantial amount of money owed. SCSI did the right thing as determined by the courts and despite NSW Supreme Court Orders to pay, no monies have yet been received. The company named however are the source of the rumour.

So I am unclear then why Emizon copped a bit of flak earlier in the thread, and said as much at the time.
    If you read my response to your question you would see that my veiled mention of Emizon is simply because the market is reporting back to SCSI that the scaremongering and rumour mill is being actively pushed along by the Australian arm of this competitor. There are of course others, all on their soapboxes, all with their own vested interests spruiking to all who will listen.

Dan the latest rumour now coming from another competitor in Sydney is that Federal Police are now involved in investigations....Please give us a break...!! Such wasted energies..

When will this industry wake up and see through these people and look at their motives for crying out loud.... Are they really so desperate for sales that they need to attempt such BS...Whats even more amazing is that people believe them. In the United States the security Industry is respected by the Police and forms an important part of the law enforcement structure in society...in Oz its seen as a joke...is it no wonder ??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by balun View Post
    I does not matter how you articulate sentences. the underlying message is still received.
    Huh?

Given that you can apparently divine messages from my posts which even I am unaware of, I shudder to think what you will "receive" from this one...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by No Brainer View Post
    Dan the latest rumour now coming from another competitor in Sydney is that Federal Police are now involved in investigations....Please give us a break...!! Such wasted energies..
    If it's not true, it would be a simple case of libel and easily dealt with.

My advice would be:

a) Disclose your position. It's fairly obvious to me, and you haven't been particularly covert, however when demanding transparency, it helps if you lead by example.

b) Name names, cite sources and demand qualification.

c) Draw it to the attention of the parties concerned and demand an answer. An open letter perhaps. They can either retract, substantiate or qualify remarks. If it's wrong, sue them. If not, it's an eye opener.

Until then, those of us on the periphery don't know what or who to believe. Then again, most people probably don't care anyway...
    Last edited by downunderdan; 09-12-09 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks

Huh?

Given that you can apparently divine messages from my posts which even I am unaware of, I shudder to think what you will "receive" from this one...
    Sorry downunderdan message didn't get through this time, musn't have been sent "direct".
    Last edited by balun; 09-12-09 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks

Excuse me?

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast