Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the World going to end in 2012 ?

Thanks

I've got a friend that actually believes this.
    He was even willing to bet $50 that a catastrophic event killing at least a million Humans would have happened by the end of 2012.

He also believed at some point that the moon landing was faked, and the 9/11 attack was a government conspiracy.

He also doesn't work, and I believe he has too much time on his hands, and should investigate taking up a hobby.

Thanks

Well from what I can gather, the last time the Mayan calendar cycled around (around 3114 BCE), the most significant thing to change in the world was that settlement, agriculture and civilisation were born. Prior to this people were generally nomadic. Technically that was the end of the world as they knew it. Perhaps this time around it will be an energy revolution of some sort. Maybe the oil companies will finally acknowledge peak oil? Maybe experiments with the LHC may lead to a new energy source? (or make a black hole that ends the world )

Anyway if someone has more knowledge of how the Mayan calendar works, I want to know whether the 5000 year cycle (long count) corresponds to any astronomical cycle of some sort. Assuming their calendar counted cycles of the moon (months), and the sun (years), logically I'd assume the long count would count cycles of something else that could be observed, calculated and predicted.

Thanks

There will be a alignment with our galaxy of some sort but I'll have to research that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    I've got a friend that actually believes this.
    He was even willing to bet $50 that a catastrophic event killing at least a million Humans would have happened by the end of 2012.
    Have to wonder how he intends to collect his $50 if he's right.... and how he'll spend it.
    Last edited by mtv; 02-12-09 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks

He didn't agree the world would end on that date exactly, but the end would be well on it's way
    by the end of 2012.
    I worded my above post carefully.

... and I didn't accept the bet.. the embarrassment would be enough.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

He didn't agree the world would end on that date exactly, but the end would be well on it's way
    by the end of 2012.
    I worded my above post carefully.

... and I didn't accept the bet.. the embarrassment would be enough.
    Yeah... but as I said, if he did win the bet (assuming it was taken) how does he expect to collect his winnings if he (along with the rest of the population) is dead?..... you should ask him that question..... lol

Thanks

The bet was that by the end of 2012 a catastrophic event killing at least a million Humans would have occurred.
    There are far more than a million Humans on Earth.
    As long as my mate and I weren't included the million dead, I would have to pay the money.

Thanks

"Each year, there are approximately 350–500 million cases of malaria,[1] killing between one and three million people, the majority of whom are young children in Sub-Saharan Africa."

so already happening..
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Yes, I have confirmed the World will end in December 2012 - just saw the movie so it must be real.
    Damn - reality has hit the big screen!
    Please feel free to donate all your worldly goods to the "Arbiter Freedom from Hell" campaign to ensure YOUR place in the afterlife.
    NOTE: Athiests/Muslims/Jews need not apply.

Thanks

I think it is implied that the million Human deaths would have to occur all at once in a single specific event (not in a year),
    and the catastrophic event would have to be something that isn't happening already.

I mean.. come on... millions of people die yearly from many causes.. like old age.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I think it is implied that the million Human deaths would have to occur all at once in a single specific event (not in a year),
    and the catastrophic event would have to be something that isn't happening already.

I mean.. come on... millions of people die yearly from many causes.. like old age.
    A million, come on people, aim higher!!! we can save the world by population reduction!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I've got a friend that actually believes this....
    I think I've worked with him

I wish I had friends like that. Firstly I just like fvcking with their head.
    Second, they're easy to buy xmas presents for. A roll of Al Foil and he's happy !

I was listening to the radio a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy who has the best scam I've ever heard of and I want in !
    His business is called "Heavenly Earthbound Pets".
    He is selling .... "Rapture Insurance".
    Yes, that's right Rapture insurance. It works like this. Fundamentalist Episcopal Christians believe that when the rapture comes, they will ascend to heaven with JC. Now part of their whacky beliefs is that humans are the only creatures with a soul and that only humans can and will ascend to heaven, and of course only the right kind of christian humans. Animals do no have a soul. So when the rapture comes, their owners will float off to heaven while their poor pets will be stuck here on earth.
    They'll need somebody to look after them. Being a practising atheist, he's just the right person to be looking after them.
    So.... for $120usd for the first pet and $20 for each pet there after, his company will come around and collect your pets when the rapture occurs and place them with a pre-arranged client who will look after them for the rest of their lives. The insurance is good for 10 years.

Now just to make sure that his business partners are on the level, they must be able to prove they are atheists. This is done with a series of tests to ensure that you are an atheist or at least miss the rapture Blasphemy is good start. Burning a bible filters out a few more.

Now just in case you think there's no market for this kind of insurance, think about this. 40% of the USA population is of this kind of episcopal christianity.
    There are >250 million people in the USA alone, so that is 90 million potential customers. At $100 each, that's a $9 billion dollar market in the USA alone.

It is morally wrong to allow stupid people to keep their money

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    A roll of Al Foil and he's happy !
    Special offer to you Trash, for you mate. I'll throw in the CatHat for free
    Last edited by porkop; 04-12-09 at 07:08 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

As much as Trash's posting might seem ludicrous, who saw some recent emails of 2 US churches across the street from each other having a Signage war with one saying only People go to Heaven and not animals with the other claiming not only animals, but Rocks too???
    That's right, ROCKS !!
    With that in mind, Please consider the following Offer !!!
    I am prepared to go one step further and offer, for the first 6 Billion callers, I will accept everything you have worth anything to care for your prized poccessions after the Apocalypse, your Dogs,cats,trees, bees, flowers,grass,garden and real gnomes Rolls Royce, Bugatti's, Maseratti, Holdens, Fords and clapped out Malvern Star Bicycles.
    Anything and Everything.

Satisfaction Guaranteed OR I will refund 10 TIMES the value of your estate.

For further details, please ring my Optus Analog Mobile on 018 973 684 and ask for Peter, the well known Bai Lin Tea and Other Dietry Fad promoter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Yes, I have confirmed the World will end in December 2012 - just saw the movie so it must be real.
    Damn - reality has hit the big screen!
    Please feel free to donate all your worldly goods to the "Arbiter Freedom from Hell" campaign to ensure YOUR place in the afterlife.
    NOTE: Athiests/Muslims/Jews need not apply.
    May be and may not be, can't say.If it is going to end then also not as it is in movie.In movie they have shown too much.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kelvicharlie View Post
    May be and may not be, can't say.If it is going to end then also not as it is in movie.In movie they have shown too much.
    Dont you just love that positively maybe but dont know for sure reply??

As for the 'The Movie, showing too Much', errr it's an Apocaliptic event ??
    End of the World, No More, Finito Baby...............

How can you show, 'Too Much'?
    Maybe there is a Readers Digest or 'G' rated (no age) version available so those sensative souls wont have their Sensibilities upset?

But again, Both the Raffle Tickets and Front Row Seats are available, still at very reaonable prices, Total Full View of the Event from all seats.
    No Dress code or bans on Bottles, Booze or 'Brains'

Thanks

No. I'm almost sure that its not going to happen.
    It may be happen in future but at that time no one is going to suspect anything. It just surprise and I am waiting for this.

Premium Member

Thanks

I am just so glad your positively absolutely definately certain that your not sure it will happen, or not.
    This allays all my worries and fears but I do feel we will suspect that something is slighty amiss when we dont wake up on the morning it happens.
    Of course you have to remember that due to the circumference of the Earth, if it were to happen 'Suddenly' at say 0000 GMT (Midnight) that would be 1200 hours (Midday) in New Zealand and I think even the most 'Hungi-over' Kiwi would notice that things were just not what they expected the day to be.

Thanks

In December 2012 you will all receive an email. "Due to unforseen circumstances, armagedon has been postponed"

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

I was talking to a mate about this the other day and he said "If NASA were aware of an asteroid/comet etc heading for a collision course with earth, do you really think they'd tell you?"

• Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast