Thread: Naked ADSL 2+

Thanks

Default Naked ADSL 2+

I use bigpond at present for line and 12Gb D/L limit adsl which is over $100 per month. (from my experience in Europe this is a total and utter rip off)
    I have read about naked ADSL 2+ and this would be great for my needs but calls to several ISP's tell me that it is not available on my local exchange (Warnbro WA) yet bigpond and Westnet offer ADSL2+
    Can someone explain what is needed for naked ADSL please, is it equipment in the local exchange provided by that ISP or owned and rented from Telstra?
    None of the providers I have rang could give me an answer of when it may be available or even why it isn't at present.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Providers that offer Naked ADSL have there own Equipment in the Exchanges this allowing them to offer the service.

Most providers that offer Naked are slowly placing DSLAMs in alongside Telstra equipment.

I am in an area where iinet offer and have their own equipment BUT have no spare ports So im stuck on Telstra Equipment until a spare port comes available.

naked means VOIP only phone Line. Not using Telstra equipment and there for not paying line rental. savs money.

There are some disadvantages eg power loss and some companies you cant dial 13+ numbers or 1800's etc you have to also hook in the PSTN line (telstra) fall back option for these. Read the fine print.

Where possible stick with iinet for ADSL2+ if not look into TPG if you stuck on ADSL they have the best deals from my findings to date, but these change all the time.

Davo

Thanks

Naked ADSL is available where Optus has the line

Thanks

Thanks guys for your informative posts. So it looks like I will have to wait until an ISP puts DSLAMs in my exchange. I am sure a "naked" service would suit me just fine as I hardly use the landline at all, preferring a UK voipfone as most of my calls go there.
    However my service is now almost unusable, for the past few days browsing is really slow, and the voip wont work.
    Calls to bigpond have resulted in them admitting something is wrong and "will be looked at within two working days" FFS the sooner I can move ISP the better!

Thanks

Update: I have had a response from iinet who say "we have no ADSL 2 equipment in your exchange and Westnet would only be selling on a Telstra port"
    So it seems I may be stuck with bigpond until another ISP has installed their own equipment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    So it seems I may be stuck with bigpond until another ISP has installed their own equipment.
    You might want to consider moving to Westnet ADSL2+ as it seems is available on your exchange. Anything will be better then Bigpond in terms of $$$.
    Last edited by fromaron; 04-12-09 at 07:33 PM.