Thread: GST A prediction dated 8th march 2008

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Default GST A prediction dated 8th march 2008

Someone in Canberra will use the excuse that using interest rates alone to curb spending is ineffective and there will be a move to increase the GST from 10% to 15% to affect the broader group of people.

The states all being labour will fall over themselves to vote yes to that. This will occur sometime later this year after the honeymoon period or early next year so as to allow the fuss to die down before the next election.

This is only a prediction I have no inside knowledge of what’s planned.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

For Fark Sake this is starting to sux big time, it may be ok for people with money and a decent job, but its going to to some real damage to the low income earners and pensioners.

Tagg

Thanks

poor liberal party bloggers, feel disenfranchised? unrepresented? now you know how the other half of voters in this country have felt for the last eleven years.
    I wonder if the same group of forum members will still be whining about the election result in ten years time. now we have gone from erroneously blaming federal labor for aboriginal compensation claims and whinging about one off payments to carers that were a blatant attempt to buy votes to outright making shit up. i feel your pain Lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diggler View Post
    poor liberal party bloggers, feel disenfranchised? unrepresented? now you know how the other half of voters in this country have felt for the last eleven years.
    I wonder if the same group of forum members will still be whining about the election result in ten years time. now we have gone from erroneously blaming federal labor for aboriginal compensation claims and whinging about one off payments to carers that were a blatant attempt to buy votes to outright making shit up. i feel your pain Lol.
    I can answer the highlighted bit, I was running around a country town in 1989 canvassing and got sidetracked by a local into a rather long winded discussion about Joh taking away the local power station and costing the place jobs. Never mind the electricians all ended up working for the electricity board anyway.
    The short answer is yes; people have an amazing level of ability to ignore peoples sucesses and remember their every failure.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diggler View Post
    now you know how the other half of voters in this country have felt for the last eleven years.
    Wealthy ? Doing well ? Booming economy ? Realtively low interest rates ? Record Employment ? Wage Increases ? Everything the Labour Party has never achieved ? They are the exact reasons why I jumped ship to the Liberals last election and will never jump back.

I wonder if the same group of forum members will still be whining about the election result in ten years time.
    I dont expect Labor to be in power then. I will be surprised if they win the next election. The wheels are already starting to fall off , kevs got a smile glued on his face because the old one sagged and Swann sweats that much every time Banks are mentioned he leaves a puddle on the ground.

now we have gone from erroneously blaming federal labor for aboriginal compensation claims and whinging about one off payments to carers that were a blatant attempt to buy votes to outright making shit up.
    Plenty of people arent happy about him opening the compensation gates Diggler , even lots of Labor voters. Remember , a lot of people simply voted Labor due to an industrial relations scare campaign.

As to your " whinging about one off payments to carers that was an attempt to buy votes " , heres a quote for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Morning Herald
    the one-off $1600 carers' bonus payments have been paid for the past four years
    One off to buy votes for 4 years. Hell , they must have got in real early with this vote buying.

The Liberals have also been sharing the wealth to families as well in a similar fashion every year , I would also be betting there will be an end to that as well.

Although I think Systemrats premonition could be a bit premature , we are one of the few countries that has a consumption tax that hasnt risen.
    We are either very very lucky or every government has forgotten about that option. But then Labor hasnt been in power Federally to have a go yet , so I suppose we will find out.

What better way to tackle spending than to raise the GST to 12 or 15% ? Its got to be a better way than letting the reserve bank push interest rates up and over like an out of control bulldozer destroying everything some Australians have spent all their lives achieving ?

Sure will be interesting at any rate. It would be hilarious watching Swann trying to explain a GST increase to the country.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SystemRat View Post
    Someone in Canberra will use the excuse that using interest rates alone to curb spending is ineffective and there will be a move to increase the GST from 10% to 15% to affect the broader group of people.

The states all being labour will fall over themselves to vote yes to that. This will occur sometime later this year after the honeymoon period or early next year so as to allow the fuss to die down before the next election.

This is only a prediction I have no inside knowledge of what’s planned.

GST is the biggest con ever in Australia it is full of holes tradies love the cash in hand then claim the materials as a GST credit what a joke all it did was catch the small honest person .

Now lets get serious up the import duties on luxury items including all those half whit drive vehicle's cruising our cities and quadrupling the rego on them for starters farmers and trades exempt of cause.

Next the over paid fat corporate boys eg Macquarie bank.How much money does a person need.
    Over 1 million 60-70 % tax rate.

There looking at cutting at the wrong end of town. Leave the pensioners alone.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

[

Next the over paid fat corporate boys eg Macquarie bank.How much money does a person need.

There looking at cutting at the wrong end of town. Leave the pensioners alone.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% , see the thread on inflation

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

It also wont help carers when they try and deal with Centrelink as kRudd/Swann ( how many "n's " does he have on his name ? I think Duck sounds better ) also announced that they are getting rid of 2000 Centrelink employees , mainly on phones and support.

Anyone that has ever rang Centrelink for any reason knows what a nightmare the experience is , 2000 less employees wont help at all. Its rather ironic that as we are living longer , they cut staff to a department that deals with old age pensions. Even stranger is the union involved has been relatively quite since the announcement. I would have thought they would be jumping up and down about it ? Very strange.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pieces View Post
    GST is the biggest con ever in Australia it is full of holes tradies love the cash in hand then claim the materials as a GST credit what a joke all it did was catch the small honest person .

Now lets get serious up the import duties on luxury items including all those half whit drive vehicle's cruising our cities and quadrupling the rego on them for starters farmers and trades exempt of cause.

There looking at cutting at the wrong end of town. Leave the pensioners alone.
    I totally agree with not hurting low income people but I don’t agree with taxing rich people beyond reason as it removes the incentive to earn more (on the assumption they pay tax) I went to dinner last night with a friend who informs me her 24 year old nephew has just paid cash for a $4 mill house in Sydney and just returned from a ski trip to Switzerland with his girlfriend where they had a great time. Good luck to him I just wish I could be so lucky rather than working for wages and getting up at 5 am in the bloody morning.

Kerry Packer was invited to a senate hearing years ago and someone said something to the effect did he feel guilty only paying a small amount of tax the answer went something like No not when I see how you lot spend it.

PS: I have shares in Macquarie bank which I am taking a bath on at the moment they where up around $100 but are now down to $45 so I hope the chairman’s bonus reflects that.

Thanks

PS: I have shares in Macquarie bank which I am taking a bath on at the moment they where up around $100 but are now down to $45 so I hope the chairman’s bonus reflects that.

Its hard to take it when the pigs at the trough ask the the average punter to have restraint with their wages claims. While they get enough in one pay rise to buy whole streets of houses that many take a lifetime time to pay off one.

Thanks

I would much rather have higher interest rates than a higher GST.

Even 17% percent sounds good to me.

And since old age pensioners usually own their homes it will be good for them too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SystemRat View Post
    a friend who informs me her 24 year old nephew has just paid cash for a $4 mill house in Sydney and just returned from a ski trip to Switzerland with his girlfriend where they had a great time
    Can I ask what the friends nephew does for a living, I might
    have to get a job soon
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Sadly not drugs because that would make me feel better because I would never do that and it would make me feel better to know that.

His family owns a large wholesale business and he manages sales for a couple of states of Oz. He works very hard for the money but thinking about it so do I but on an entirely different level and pay scale.

Trust me I am trying hard to find the secret and if I do I might let you know – then again.

PS: He’s a nice guy too.